• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Still very nice. I've been seeing more foxes on cam in the last few days.

Had a couple coyotes yesterday and this morning. First in several weeks. Was multiple times a day for a while then they kind of disappeared. Same with turkeys. We get very few fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This guy in one of my food plots right now. Had a lot of family health issues this year, my dad was in the hospital over 6 months, now at home with 24/7 nurse, so didn’t even plant this year. Haven’t been there much. Some residual from last year though. Headed up Sunday for 4 days.

59b229e5c6f47feb934d0a3cfa1aa956.jpg

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Right at dark last night.

Dealing with a septic backup soon as the sun comes up. Got to pull and clean the filter, hopefully that’ll do it until I can get it pumped end of next week. My septic guy is on a hunting trip in Ohio. If all goes well I hope to be on the road by 10 or 11. Hoping to make it up in time to hunt tonight but will be cutting it close.

This is actually a video, not sure how to upload that..

a3f3cec09ff8f04b03b72b0194177fd5.jpg

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hell yeah!!! Wow.

This is the smaller of the 2 in the pic I posted a few days ago. Hoping my wife gets a shot at the bigger one tonight. This was supposed to be her buck- I stared at it in my crosshairs for 30 seconds waiting on her, she couldn’t find it in her scope. The does with him spooked and he was about to bolt, she said take him so I did.

She is still looking for her first buck, has taken a doe a couple years ago, we didn’t get to hunt much last year. It’s time to get her a rifle of her own that fits, using mine obviously was a failure and she seems to like hunting so it’s time.

So in the market for a smaller frame rifle, wanting .308 because I have a lot of ammo for it and nothing to shoot it anymore and I think that’d be a good cartridge for her.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    This is the smaller of the 2 in the pic I posted a few days ago. Hoping my wife gets a shot at the bigger one tonight. This was supposed to be her buck- I stared at it in my crosshairs for 30 seconds waiting on her, she couldn’t find it in her scope. The does with him spooked and he was about to bolt, she said take him so I did.

She is still looking for her first buck, has taken a doe a couple years ago, we didn’t get to hunt much last year. It’s time to get her a rifle of her own that fits, using mine obviously was a failure and she seems to like hunting so it’s time.

So in the market for a smaller frame rifle, wanting .308 because I have a lot of ammo for it and nothing to shoot it anymore and I think that’d be a good cartridge for her.

Look at the Ruger amercian ranch ( short lop) 350L, x39 or one with an adjustable stock. Got my bride a howa 308 and she loves it. ( knox recoil system) Mag fed, no more broke nails trying to load the blind mag.
    20220131_162458.jpg

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look at the Ruger amercian ranch ( short lop) 350L, x39 or one with an adjustable stock. Got my bride a howa 308 and she loves it. ( knox recoil system) Mag fed, no more broke nails trying to load the blind mag. View attachment 249882

She wants a wood stock, which really limits the options. Can’t blame her though. My love of wood and bluing has rubbed off lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    She wants a wood stock, which really limits the options. Can’t blame her though. My love of wood and bluing has rubbed off lol

Not sure what wood stock one would be short enough though. ( youth model?) I like the coated metal with synthetic better for inclement weather. Water under wood = nasty hidden rust at some point. ( after taking the gun apart +4x a season, it gets old) Ymmv.
    4x or 2x7 are good scopes for hunting.( I lost this battle with my bride, she'd run a 24x if the camo matched) Also NO external knobs. Covered turrets only.( won this battle) There again. Ymmv.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure what wood stock one would be short enough though. ( youth model?) I like the coated metal with synthetic better for inclement weather. Water under wood = nasty hidden rust at some point. ( after taking the gun apart +4x a season, it gets old) Ymmv.
    4x or 2x7 are good scopes for hunting.( I lost this battle with my bride, she'd run a 24x if the camo matched) Also NO external knobs. Covered turrets only.( won this battle) There again. Ymmv.

Yeah, there’s not many wood options anymore.

She missed a doe tonight at 75 yards, broadside using the rem 700 in 7mm mag. Said it hit her shoulder hard, she must not have had it in the pocket. She managed just fine on the bench but I think the length of the gun in a blind complicated things. I also think she’s recoil shy and probably flinching, though she says she’s not. That magnum packs a punch.

It’s not so much the LOP for her as it is overall heft and weight, and forward grip. She can shoulder my late grandfathers ruger m77 .30-06 just fine, but with that chambering in a compact 18” rifle it’s too much recoil for her. Hell even for me. That thing kicks like a mule.

I just ordered a Ruger American Predator in .308 for her from grab a gun. $417 shipped with a rebate for $100 ruger store bucks. she’ll have it well before our next trip up in mid November. Hopefully that will work for at least a temporary solution and find her something wood over the off season. I’ve eyeballed that gun myself for a compact backup so I’ll have no problem taking it off her hands if we get her something else. Now just gotta find some glass, I’ll be low budget on it as I wasn’t expecting to buy a rifle this week lol.

Top Bottom