• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fiftycal

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The following are the listing and condition descriptions for two 45 Caliber Thompson Sub-Machine Receivers. These listings are are only for the Receivers. Each one is properly titled on a Form Four and is fully transferable to individuals (provided you reside in a Class III Friendly State.) My question (because I truly don't know) - is how much would it cost to get one of these receivers up and running as a fully Automatic Tommy Gun? I realize an exact figure isn't possible - I'm just trying to get a Ballpark estimate so if I jump out of the plane - I'll know how much it'll cost to open the parachute:help:

1 of 2 ....This stripped receiver was manufactured circa 1970/80s when they were being produced by the Auto-Ordnance Corp. in West Hurley, NY, based on the original wartime version of the Thompson M1 SMG using new manufacturing steel and techniques. The receiver has the following markings of: "THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN/CALIBER 45 M1/NO. M587A". The right side is marked: "AUTO ORDNANCE CORPORATION/WEST HURLEY, NEW YORK, U.S.A.". As noted this lot is only for the "bare stripped" receiver. It is rare to find one of these full auto, receivers still for sale on the market, and it would be easy to buy a surplus part sets and assemble it into a complete full auto weapon.
    Condition: Very fine as incomplete with 95% of the blued finish still remaining overall, wear on the edges and high spots, and several area of visible rust on the top and sides of the receiver from moisture laden storage. The markings are clear and distinct. As noted, this is a completely bare, stripped Thompson M1 receiver only. NOTE: This weapon is a National Firearms Act (NFA), Class 3, Fully Automatic Weapon registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, (BATFE) under the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR part 478.

2 of 2....This stripped receiver was manufactured circa 1970/80s when they were being produced by The Auto-Ordnance Corp. in West Hurley NY, based on the original wartime version of the Thompson M1 SMG using new manufacturing steel and techniques. The receiver has the following markings: "THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN/CALIBER 45 M1/NO. M548A". The right side is marked: "AUTO ORDNANCE CORPORATION/WEST HURLEY, NEW YORK, U.S.A.". As noted, this lot is only for the "bare stripped" receiver. It is rare to find one of these full auto, receivers still for sale on the market, and it would be easy to buy a surplus part sets and assembly it into a complete full auto weapon.
    Condition: Very fine as incomplete with 70% of the blued finish still remaining overall, wear on the edges and high spots, and several areas of minor/light pitting on the top and sides of the receiver caused by moderate rust (which has been cleaned off) from poor storage. The markings are clear and distinct. As noted, this is a completely bare, stripped Thompson M1 receiver only. NOTE: This weapon is a National Firearms Act (NFA), Class 3, Fully Automatic Weapon registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) under the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR part 478.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Estimate $1000 for parts and someone knowledgeable to install the bbl. Parts are not as cheap or available as in years past. My concern would be why are there two receivers with wear sitting around? They should have been made into complete guns years ago. Or if they once were complete, why are they stripped now? Was there something not in spec when they were made? I sold my M1A1 TSMG in January.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have an answer but reading the Post raises other questions.

As the Receiver is the NFA Registered part, then all that would be needed is a semi auto Thompson as a parts donor? No special sear, hammer, bolt, selector or other guts? You can get a new Auto Ord well under $2k but are partss interchangeable, capable of modification or be made? Complete NFA AUTO ORD go for $13K and up, if parts ARE avail and the skill, why were they not built in the last three decades and recoupe a much greater profit? Even if the owner put $6K into one he would double his money on resale. If owner didn't have cash to build them a Dealer would invest for a slice as profit is high and no new ones can go to civs. Something is not being fully disclosed! If this deal is from a Dealer I would be even more concerned that they could not be restored to full auto function, again it would have been done. If its a private party sale/NFA transfer, why has this not been jumped on by a Dealer? What would keep them away from this apparently easy money making project?

Looks fishy from every angle to me.

Top Bottom