• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Most of us have had "guns I should have kept". We pine for same, sometimes buying a replacement, but it's never the same; doesn't shoot as well, sights don't coincide with your vision, doesn't look as nice, etc. etc.

Years ago I sold my Finnish Civil Guard M28/30. It shot nice with cast bullets and I won some trophies with it. It was the third one of that model made. Guess I got tired of it at some point. You know how that goes. Fast forward YEARS and I reply to a for sale ad for a Finnish M39 a few days ago. The person I sold the M28/30 to still had it, had only fired maybe 30 cast bullet loads through it all those years, read my post, and asked if I'd like it back at about the same price he paid for it and he still had my left over match (each cast bullet weighed) reloads and fired brass. YES! He brought it over yesterday. Even had my old data card.

I cleaned the bore (didn't really need cleaning). I remembered the bore was bright and shiny with no pitting. It still was. Couldn't remember the lands, so they got a good look at. I'd rate the bore very good. Lands have some rounded edges, but I know it shoots nice with cast and cast bullets don't wear a bore much. Whoever had it issued to them in Finland sure took good care of the bore.

Here's a few excerpts from an article on the M28/30:

"With changes still being hastily adopted, the first M28/30s came off the assembly line in April of 1934. The m/28-30 enjoyed seven years of production and saw over 24,420 rifles produced according to some records."

"The first rifle to be produced with all the final M28/30 changes is serial number 35,710, with mostly subtle differences in examples after this time. The Civil Guard district number is on the side of the barrel."

"The Civil Guard was often called to battle during this time between 1939-1944. Both wars were violent, brutal affairs that ended when both sides came to the conclusion that further conflict was utterly pointless. Finland was forced to cede some territory, pay reparations, and the Civil Guard was disbanded by Soviet demand.”

"During the Continuation War, the Finnish Army took possession of the majority of the Civil Guards’ Mosin rifles as these troops were not considered to be front line soldiers. This included the M28/30s which were often replaced in Civil Guard service with M96 Swedish Mausers or 7.35mm Carcano rifles."

MY opinion: While the civil guard weren't front line soldiers, they must've been pretty good at killing as Russia wanted them disbanded as part of a treaty.

So, first rifle is 35710. Mine is 35712. 3rd one made. SK.Y is the abbreviation for Civil Guard (a militia type of organization). S in a gear logo is the civil guard logo. S without gear logo also stands for SAKO, the civil guard shop that was making rifles for the civil guard. SA is the Finnish Army property mark applied when this civil guard rifle became Army property. From the stock condition and absence of civil guard stamp on the stock, I'd say the Army replaced the stock due to wear or damage. On the side is S86884. That says the rifle was in the civil guard district of the Kainuu region of Finland.

The Kainuu region is halfway down Finland and borders Russia. It was the site of the Winter War Battle of Raate Road (December - January 1939) when Russia invaded that region to try and cut Finland in half. Finnish deaths in the battle are listed as 900. Soviet deaths (disregarding Soviet propaganda at that time) were estimated at 7-9,000. Russia was so confident of victory that a band accompanied them to play in a victory parade. Finns captured around 4,822 rifles from the fighting, and musical instruments, machine guns, artillery, tanks, trucks, horses, etc, etc.

Speculation: We know my rifle was assigned to the civil guard in that area. We know there was fighting for a month's time. We know it became Army property. Suspect the stock was damaged during the fighting and replaced by the Army. Edited to add: During wartime, the civil guard comes under control of the army. I suspect, but have not confirmed, that they become what the Finnish Army calls "Independent Battalions". Independent battalions did fight in the Battle of Raate Road.

Later, when Finland decided to further improve the Mosin, several features from the M28/30 were incorporated into the M39 such as rear sight, front adjustable sight, improved magazine and bedding.

3FBFCFB0-06FA-45B6-AB2F-7E7620E892EB.jpeg
    5580FB14-DC7C-42DC-9EF6-E41794294B63.jpeg
    D88E9FBF-1371-45C2-9083-405A55C16D40.jpeg
    6BD89225-07B6-45DB-826E-163A87309CAD.jpeg

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Quick trip to the neighbor's range. Distance 35yd. Black is a 3" circle. Off a rest. 10 shots with my old reloads to verify before I reload more. With my eyesight the way it is after surgery several years ago, this is the best I can do. Estimate that MY aiming error is a half to 3/4ths of an inch. I'm very happy with the results. Lyman 314299 sized .315", 16.0gr 2400, CCI 200, 2.96" oal, mixed brass, #2 alloy, 50/50 lube. Happy Happy

tempImagesOUqMZ.jpg

Top Bottom