Target Sports

FHP - Slow Left Lane Drivers to be Fined!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't see much FHP on 98 unfortunately, unless there is an accident. Hopefully the sheriff's offices follow suit.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the best news I've heard in years! I'm so sick of these assholes driving slow in the left lane I usually get so close to their rear bumpers they can see if I shaved today. My definition of slow in the left lane is going the same as or just slightly faster than cars in the right lane. If you're in the left you should be quickly passing cars to your right. Article does say "slower than the flow of traffic" so I expect most of the idiots to still hang out there going the speed limit or 1 to 2 miles an hour above it. Can't wait to see people getting tickets for it!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've seen them on 98 near Hurlburt quite a bit, they kind of hide off the road in the shadows. It would be nice to see the Sheriff's department follow the same way and start to ticket the obvious abusers. I'm talking about 8 or 9 o'clock at night when you come up on two cars going side by side under the speed limit and the guy in the left lane refuses to get over and you're the only 3 cars on the road for miles.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Does that mean my chances of being pulled over doing Mach 1 on the 10 bridge are going down?

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's rarely if ever enforced now. The fact they are actually admitting that it's a problem and going to act on it is a step in the right direction. All it will take is for a few drivers to get pulled over for it and given the $160 ticket and word will get out that you better not get caught driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane. I've always wondered why they had the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs but never enforced it. Seems it would be easy money for state and county police if they enforced it. This isn't a problem in Europe so why should it be a problem here.

BTW, I shared it on Facebook and someone already commented that new signs are up on the turnpikes warning of the fines!

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Driving 70 in the left lane should not get you a ticket. The speed limit is 70 mph for both lanes unless im missing a second speed limit sign for the left lane. I feel this is wrong and will be abused

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Driving 70 in the left lane should not get you a ticket. The speed limit is 70 mph for both lanes unless im missing a second speed limit sign for the left lane. I feel this is wrong and will be abused

It will get you a ticket. The left lane is for passing and if you and the guy in the right lane are both going 70 you are impeding the flow of traffic. The signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" so if you're going slower than others in the left lane you're breaking the law. The sign says nothing about speed limits. Why block the left lane, get in the right lane with the other guy going 70.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The issue is two semi trucks racing governors for 4-6 miles at a time. They can maintain their governors idea of 70 when not on a hill or on a curve.
    The problem is people are stupid and wen there's to trucks stacked up rolling a roadblock, everyone gets on each other's bumpers and piles in. If something happens, it's a multi car accident. I don't see this actually being enforced though. When was the last time you saw someone get a ticket for texting? Actually, when was the last time you saw a trooper during rush hour, not responding to a accident?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    just sounds like a catch 22 to generate revenue to me. Don't speed, but now don't go the speed limit either. So according to the article, if the "flow of traffic" is doing 80-85, and I choose not the break the law by going with the flow, then I can still receive a ticket for obeying a posted speed limit. Also, shouldn't matter which lane I choose to drive in. Speed limit applies to both left and right. That is also why the there is a minimum speed posted usually 55mph. I think this is a poor attempt to try to generate more revenue. I also want to read the actual statute to get the official verbage not just a reporters article.

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    45 years ago they taught us this law. It's been on the books forever. They are just now wanting to enforce it. Get a driver license booklet. It tells you in there, unless they have changed it..

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    just sounds like a catch 22 to generate revenue to me. Don't speed, but now don't go the speed limit either. So according to the article, if the "flow of traffic" is doing 80-85, and I choose not the break the law by going with the flow, then I can still receive a ticket for obeying a posted speed limit. Also, shouldn't matter which lane I choose to drive in. Speed limit applies to both left and right. That is also why the there is a minimum speed posted usually 55mph. I think this is a poor attempt to try to generate more revenue. I also want to read the actual statute to get the official verbage not just a reporters article.

Only if you're in the left lane otherwise known as the passing lane. If you're not passing anyone why be in the left lane if you aren't about to make a left turn?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Because the right lane is for those who want to drive under the speed limit hence the minimum speed requirement. So the left lane s for those who want to drive at the limit which is currently 70 mph. Not 80 or 85 or "with the flow of traffic". So if everybody is doing 85 and I do the same and get pulled over for 85mph in a 70mph zone do I still get a ticket or is my defense that i was going with the flow?

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's a pretty simple concept. If you're in the right lane and come up on someone going slower than you then you pass them in the left lane and get back over in the right lane after you make the pass so anybody travelling faster than you can now pass you. Go drive in Europe, they have the concept down better than anywhere I've seen.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I knew a guy that actually got a ticket for this back in the early 90's, I think the only reason he got ticketed was the trooper wanted to pass and this idiot was doing the speed limit and stayed in the left lane blocking the trooper from passing. A friend was a passenger in the truck that his boss was driving and told him repeatedly to let the trooper pass, he didn't and after being followed from Hwy.123 to Duke Field the trooper pulled him over and gave him a ticket and a lecture about blocking the flow of traffic.

Hazy1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, shouldn't matter which lane I choose to drive in. Speed limit applies to both left and right.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, because I don't know you and you are likely a great person (otherwise you wouldn't belong to this forum, right?), but that comment, while legally correct, is completely asinine. As others have said, if you want to drive the speed limit, or close to it, then drive in the right lane, pass when you need to pass in a reasonable distance, and then jump back in the right lane. Speed limits have become a "recommended speed" in practice. I drive 10-15 over about 98% of the time when traffic allows (no left lane crawlers) and 20+ over when conditions allow. Nearly every LEO that is on the road with me is travelling between 10-25 over the speed limit when not in pursuit and I pass all of the ones that are traveling less than 10 over and have never once been pulled over for speeding when doing so.

You are more likely to be struck by lightning as a shark is pulling your leg off than you are to receive a ticket for passing someone at 10mph over the limit or less.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I understand. And I actually wanted to see where this topic would go and invoke some good discussion. I am merely looking at it from a letter of the law standpoint. However, I am almost always over the posted limit. So I was playing devil's advocate of sorts

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom