• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Built a 8" AERO in 300BLK and trying to use the 190 Grain SUB-X but even the factory version of this ammo gets jammed. I tried an adjustable gas block and today, added a JR silent spring buffer system. With just the gas block, I could get it where it would hold open when using one round only but it would still jamb if trying to cycle. Emailed Hornady and AERO. They suggested messing with the buffer so I added the JR silent capture with the lightest spring and that seemed to help a lot. I only had 1 out of 20 jamb today and it was the last round in the magazine. I'm going to load up 30 and see how it works. I loaded to the length of the factory ammo because I couldn't find any load data on these. Using 12.7GR of CFE-BLK and they are running 1040-1045fps. Factory was around 985fps with the short barrel so I wanted them a little hotter.

Wondering if any others experienced this with these flat nose bullets and found a solution? I ordered 500 when they came in stock but thinking I may have to use another round. Got some of the LeighHigh 194 Max. coming Friday but they are 4 times the cost of the SUB-X so I really wanted to use them.

BTW, I don't have the feed issue with any other bullet, just these SUB-X. Thoughts?

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the factory loaded rounds and haven’t had any issues, but I’m running a 16 inch Fn barrel with pistol length gas. If you don’t mind my asking, where did you find the 190 grain hornadys ?

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Btw, can’t beat the price. They are like .34 per whereas the leighhigh is like $1.23. Heck, most 190’s in the 30cal are more than .34 so it’s a great deal. I’ll load up 30 more and try them and post back. May try Friday.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes sir, the loaded factory rounds are less than the leighhigh projectiles. I’ve use both and was satisfied with either one.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And the chambering of the OP's gun is . . . . . ?? (I see the "caliber" is 30.)
    I would buy those bullets if you ever want to sell them. Would like to give them a try in my AR chambered in 300BLK +P. ( aka. 308Win)--- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry gents . . . missed that.
    Sounds like you could have a LOW POWER problem. Possibly try a light weight carrier (skelotonized) although they are somewhat expensive.
    I believe that between the spring and gas system the gun should run. Remember that it is all about carrier speed and proper mag design + a little tweaking. ---- SAWMAN

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had m trouble with 245 grain Missouri Bullets in my blackout. First I was in the lands at AR Mag length. Second I had trouble feeding from a 5 round P Mag. Switched over to a metal H&K Mag and problem solved. Some of the flat nose Bullets feed better stuffed into the case deep.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys. I'm going to load up 50 tonight. I will try setting 25 back a little and see if that helps. That was going to be my next experiment.
    Keep us posted since I have a couple of newly purchased from midway, boxes of those bullets at my feet. I plan to go barely supersonic with them in short barreled guns.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep us posted since I have a couple of newly purchased from midway, boxes of those bullets at my feet. I plan to go barely supersonic with them in short barreled guns.
    Will do. Got some loaded to 2.060 and some to 2.045. I'll see if that changes anything.

Attachments

• 2020-06-18 21.54.10.jpg
      2020-06-18 21.54.10.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 234

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, headed out yesterday afternoon and had better luck but still a couple FTF. Not near as bad and I think it may have some to do with wearing the new off. The 2.060" only had 1 out of 20 that stuck. The 2.045 had 2 so I'm wondering if I need to go longer instead of shorter. Both shot well and grouped great with a red dot. The two flyers were me. Damn bugs were bad and I pulled on both to get those blood sucking mosqutes the size of dragon flys off by forehead. This is an 8" barrel with a 8.5" homemade suppressor.

I'm going to load up another batch of 20 a tad longer and give them a shot. I'm also going to run another batch of them at 2.060 and see how they do.

The LeighHigh's did good but I only loaded 5 to test speed. I gotta put some more powder behind them because they were only running 960ish and I want to try to get them to 1050ish.

Attachments

• 2020-06-20 22.56.07.jpg
      2020-06-20 22.56.07.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 95
    Top Bottom