• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Finally went for an eye exam and was shocked at the prices of their glasses, be around $500 for one pair of progressive lenses.

Does this sound normal? Where a good local place to get a better price? Order online? I went to Gulf Coast Vision Center for the exam.

Rick

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Along with mattresses one of the biggest rackets going imo. We got my wife's glasses cheaper at Sam's Club than it would have been going through insurance at a couple of the eye center stores. Exact same progressive lenses. Sam's didn't take our insurance but didn't have the 1000% markup of the corner stores that have to pay that high rent and marketing cost.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got my second pair in 2 and a half years. Each time the price was 500$+ went with transitions as well. First time was 50 dollar eye guy= mistake. Lenses were scratched up in 6 months. Second time was the optometrist behind Jackson pace pharmacy good glass and holding up well from the dusty environment at work. I paid that much and had eye insurance also. It's a rook if you ask me. But if you wanna see right. It's worth it. Took about 2 weeks to get used to them.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I paid right at a grand, for glasses from Stanford optical(big mistake too)

got 4 pairs ,for the wife and I..

wont go back, Chinese frames, scratches on my glasses after having them only a short time...and I am a fanatic about keeping them clean and wiped with soft cloth..

I will try sams next

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can thank Luxotica for buying out all major eye/sunglass manufacture and turning eyewear into a fashion statement.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    time before last, I easily found Italian frames, much better and tighter than chicomss, lasts a long time

ReelGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out America's best contacts & eyeglasses. I got two pairs of glasses, eye exam and a contact prescription for $194 otd. That also included a three year eyecare plan that has a couple benefits. Both sets of glasses are metal frame, scratch proof. Don't know to much about the progressive lenses though. Might be worth looking into. They are located on airport blvd.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Excellent timing on this thread. Wife just got her latest pair a few months ago, about $400. When she got out of the shower yesterday she found them in the bedroom. And the hallway. And the kitchen. Oh, and a little piece in the living room. Dog doesn't know anything about it.

So, she's shopping tomorrow.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out America's best contacts & eyeglasses. I got two pairs of glasses, eye exam and a contact prescription for $194 otd. That also included a three year eyecare plan that has a couple benefits. Both sets of glasses are metal frame, scratch proof. Don't know to much about the progressive lenses though. Might be worth looking into. They are located on airport blvd.
    I think this is where my wife and daughter got their last sets a couple years ago.
    They each got 2 pairs and I don't remember it being all that expensive. Like $500 OTD for both of them (4 pairs) maybe.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Excellent timing on this thread. Wife just got her latest pair a few months ago, about $400. When she got out of the shower yesterday she found them in the bedroom. And the hallway. And the kitchen. Oh, and a little piece in the living room. Dog doesn't know anything about it.

So, she's shopping tomorrow.
    I have no contribution to this thread other than that dog will be the death of Sean. Probably a brutal gunfight to hand-to-hand combat scenario worthy of a Micheal Bay remake.

Sorry, carry on about your glasses...

ReelGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trust me... glasses are no fun. At two in the morn when someone is banging on the front door, I would rather grab one thing instead of my glasses first. LOL. Im saving up for lasik.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Progressives are expensive period. Add high index, scratch resistance, anti-glare, polished edges and it adds up quick. But they beat the alternatives in my opinion. I've worn glasses for over 45 years. Considered corrective Lasik or whatever. Doc said if you wear a reading lens (bifocal) you'll still need reading glasses. Also if your prescription is still changing lasik won't last as long as you think. In my case I thought it was lifetime. Evidently that's not the case. I'll keep my glasses. I get pretty good service from Walmart.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, was the Russians, not Turbo.

Thanks a million for the input guys, ya'll are the best. This is something of which I am clueless and I thought they were trying to rush me into a pair of their expensive glasses. I couldn't believe the prices on just the frames.

As big a klutz as I am I don't want to buy expensive glasses that I will break or loose in less than a year, my readers usually have about a 6 month lifespan.

I first noticed a distance problem when I started seeing two model airplanes where there should have only been one, and night driving is becoming harder too.

RH

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sean, was the Russians, not Turbo.

Thanks a million for the input guys, ya'll are the best. This is something of which I am clueless and I thought they were trying to rush me into a pair of their expensive glasses. I couldn't believe the prices on just the frames.

As big a klutz as I am I don't want to buy expensive glasses that I will break or loose in less than a year, my readers usually have about a 6 month lifespan.

I first noticed a distance problem when I started seeing two model airplanes where there should have only been one, and night driving is becoming harder too.

RH

try to find Italian, german , or English frames though, chinesse crap is junk ...my old glasses are five times as tight as my new frames, hinges still good..

I rarely fold mine, always put them up on something the cats can.t knock them off of, saves wear and tear on hinges

Top Bottom