HD Tactical

Expected accuracy from a precision bolt gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is an old saying about precision shooting;
    90% of the average shooters can not shoot MOA
    90% of the 10% can not shoot .5 MOA
    90% of that 10% can not shoot .25 MOA etc.

At a point the question a custom rifle builder needs to ask a customer is, how good can you shoot? My minimum acceptinle group on a hunting rifle is .5, if it will not perform consistantly, I break it down and start again, it has been 50 years since I have had to start again. My precision rifles will shoot into .1 to .2 for me, however, my experiance is very different than most. Armorer, coach and member of the 101st rifle and pistol team, battalion sniper 2/319 101st Abn. When I got out of the 101st I stopped punching paper, it is incredibly boring to me today. I do not shoot paper, except to sight in a rifle or test loads. However I have absolutely no problem with those that enjoy shooting paper or any other shooting sport.

I would suggest you watch your challenges, because there are many people in the NW FL area that can very easily turn you inside out and not necessarily with a rifle either. The three time 4 gun aggregate FL state handgun silhouette champion lives in Milton, a four gun aggregate champion lives in Shalimar and the 4 gun aggregate FL state champion lives in Destin, he is also the 4 gun 12 state SE Region Champion and a cast bullet world champion. So when you start spouting off, there is someone local that will show up that can beat you like a base drum. Suggest you take the humble path before you get a double serving of humble pie.
    Ed

Sawman, my son (former PJ, now a CRO) is the deputy commander of the SERE school in WA. Good training that. Guys that challenge him to a shoot off have no idea how screwed they are. I started teaching him when he was 5, being LHed I taught him to shoot RH only. Result was he has no weak hand. By 9 he had a custom 1911 with a Rogers rig of his own and was the A revolver state champion. He shot a 12ga A-5 in 3 gun.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the bantering and challenging is all in fun and makes for some good entertainment.

Oh, I am sure. Just a friendly warning about that guy you do not know, that drives up with a gun in the trunk of a car without any finish on it, wrapped in a rag.
    Ed

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thought that was just an invitation to a friendly shooting match.......the only thing I want to see turned inside out are my socks......count me out

Last edited:

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, I am sure. Just a friendly warning about that guy you do not know, that drives up with a gun in the trunk of a car without any finish on it, wrapped in a rag.
    Ed

I hope the forum would weed those guys out. I think most of the guys that talk crap on the forum know each other from the range. But you are correct, it is a dangerous world out there.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    3e93f747213aa9ee5f3f44826693df32.jpg
    c504b26233ffc3ab139134dbed268983.jpg

This started as a trade with another forum member. 700 spa 26 in barrel 1 in 12 twist. Changed the trigger to a timney. Pitched the old stock for a bell & Carlson medalist. Mounted an old lump old Gen 1 3x9 leupold. Fired 3 rounds of federal match ( cheapest 168 grain at academy) from a lead sled. 1 inch. Set scope and removed from sled. settled in and shot from bipod and rear bag from bench. Looks good to me. Have lapua brass on the way. Picked up varget and burgers already. I hope to shoot one ragged hole with hand loads and good optics.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Calculated steps it's hard to figure out an accuracy node on a safe queen. I actually had two good hits that day with more mud on the barrel than was shown in the photo.

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish somebody that can actually shoot distance would shoot my tikka. I've shot 2 out of 3 in a 5in plate at 450 yards with 130gr sst's. I'm not a great shot and was shooting off rolled up sleeping bags but I would really like to know if I was lucky or it's a ridiculously accurate rifle.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's a nice 1/4 MOA gun you got there! I'm actually impressed this came out of a semi auto!

I believe I will have to give credit to the JP barrel I had installed that has made it so accurate or just "dumb luck". 1121141222-00.jpg

Attachments

• 1121141222-00.jpg
      1121141222-00.jpg
      511.1 KB · Views: 186
    Last edited:

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .005 moa. Load development today at erml 168 grain vld burgers lapua brass varget powder. Sweet spot was 39.5 @ .003 off lands one hole .oo5 moa. Group before @ 39 grains was .38 moa. Rifle consistently shot sub moa every group. Going to work up some ammo and stretch her out a little next weekend at a longer range. Pic to follow

Top Bottom