• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is the best dehydrated food to buy for value and food quality?
    Where is the best site to order from?

I know it is hard to judge withut trying these items but hopefully someone has some input>
    Trying to heed scuba's advice.
    Thanks in advance.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have tons of MRE's. These are not for the girlie men that feel that they expire or are worried what "meals" are in the boxes. Mine are from Ivan.

Great chow for those that don't visit Applebee's every night. Sheeeeesh !! --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have tons of MRE's. These are not for the girlie men that feel that they expire or are worried what "meals" are in the boxes. Mine are from Ivan.

Great chow for those that don't visit Applebee's every night. Sheeeeesh !! --- SAWMAN

I was told that I'm strange because I liked every MRE I tried after Ivan. I love great food but I'm also the least picky person I know. I just want to learn what options are out there so I can begin stocking up too.

BTW: I would rather eat MREs than Applebees.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Never worry about the expiration dates, any food is better than none and they are all still good, just maybe not as good as new...My advice, buy the best tasting you can find.

Johnny Bravo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I'm still deployed over here giving Obama and his friends time to take my guns away, I've come across some info that might be helpful. I've heard about the Mormon self reliance stores. If you are Mormon, you already know about this stuff. Since I'm not, this was all new to me. However, you don't need to be a Mormon to purchase some of their items online. They have great prices and if you research some, you will find shelf life on most of their food. Some with a 30 year+ shelf life and possibly beyond. Dried goods don't weigh much either. Here's a site I found that got me started on some research. I plan to put at least as much money in my food as I have in my ammo. Good luck to you guys.
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

JB

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i sell a ton of Wise Food buckets...they are good dehydrated and hydrated too! How many people are you trying to feed and for how long?

Yeah 2A, I saw your post earlier. I went to your website and looked around. The food stuff. Looks great. When things settle down I' ll see what we want to do. Its only my wife and I at home but it would be nice to have more than enough in case the kids get caught short.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have eaten C-Rations and K-Rations in 1968-1972 that were packed just after WWII. Also the stuff from Korea. I have also had the opportunity to eat MRE's since the first days they were produced. ALL GOOD !! Think about it. Does anybody actually feel that they prepare and pack MRE's to last ........what .......114days or something. GOLLY !!

I was selling some a while back and some of the people were worried about the packing date....AND(AND!)the menu. Like Sean sez....I would rather eat a MRE than at Applebee's also. Tastier,healthier,quicker(a hellova lot quicker),and will keep a good long time.

BTW....don't ask......me and the wife ate 'em all. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally feel that there is no one answer to keeping food storage. While I love MRE style foods, they do not last forever. This is partially because of how they are cooked, and how they are packaged (both the process and the package itself).

I have found that it is best to keep a variety of food on hand, as each have their own benefits and drawbacks. MRE packages are great because they are self contained and do not require anything else to eat...most of them are fine even cold in the pouch. They are also bulky, and weight a lot.

The freeze dried and dehydrated foods weigh a lot less, but require a clean water source, and often require a heat source. It has been my experience that the freeze dried foods do have a better flavor than the dehydrated. These two types of food typically store for longer than the MRE packs due to the lack of moisture, and fat. A lot of the "survival" foods tend to use TVP (textured vegetable protein) instead of actual meat. TVP is basically the meat you have in a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli.

Most of the survival foods are loaded down with sodium. Take this into consideration if you have medical issues.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Then........how long do MRE's last ?? Remembering also ---> MRE's are designed to be the(somewhat)last resort. You would typically NOT have the choice between saaaaaaaay,MRE's and gettin' dressed up and going out to a "fine" restaurant.

Remember also...the MRE's are self heating. They get hot !! During certain types of emergencies a HOT MRE will be better than a cold Big Mac. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a link that explains the process to some degree.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/fse-fact/pdf/0001.pdf

The quick summary is: The foods stored in MRE packages are prepared in such a way that they basically have a little longer shelf life than pasteurized foods or canned goods. This is wholly dependent upon the temperature and conditions in which the foods are stored.

MRE foods are packaged as a convenience (no need to add water or create a heat source), they reduce the time and energy required to make a meal. They are not a last resort meal, they are merely a safe and convenient way to plan for the future.

That said, I personally have eaten MRE lemon pound cake (my favorite MRE treat) after having it for about 9 years...and it was still delicious. Potatoes from the same package...no so good. So it would seem that some of the components can last a really long time...and some cannot.

To be safe, new or old, I would avoid the vegetarian MREs...they are all nasty. Use them for barter, LOL.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Learn to can, can 2 years worth of food and keep it rotated. A grain mill is also a good survivalist tool. Corn, wheat and any other grains can be stored in food safe containers for many years, just grind up what you need.

Plus one on the LDS supply store, if anybody knows about food storage it's the Mormans.

Rick

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wife canned for years but slacked off. We were just discussing buying a new pressure cooker but was wondering about the wait time, stamp, background check and FFL fees.

Top Bottom