• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    116   0   0
    Let's talk about electric bikes ,who's got them who like them ,should I get one
    An electric bike uses un-renewable resources that are mined by children in the battery they use. They defeat one of the purposes for using a bike. Why do you think all those Europeans ride pedal yourself bikes.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We got one for my youngest to get back and forth to work on while he saved up for a car. It would do 20mph with minor pedaling and could go for about 25 miles. We live near 90 and Avalon and he'd ride it to school in the morning and to work after then home (if I didn't go pick him up in the truck). It was honestly pretty nice for a $500 investment (we got it used) and he rode it until he saved up enough to pay half of the car we got him. It's all about what you want one for. They aren't motorcycles, but if you want something to get from point a to point b with less effort than a traditional bike, then it's an option.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My thing is this: I can't imagine a Chinese-made electric bike being worth more than $1000, yet I see them priced north of $5000, which is insane. Remember: it's a cheap Chinese frame with cheap Chinese motors and cheap Chinese batteries. So for recreational use, @ <$1000, I might be able to see it. But for anyone looking to use it for transportation... as many do... I went through these calculations back before the Gulf War.

There was talk of possible nuclear exchanges, which would've triggered a "gas crisis" like we have never seen (I think that was what Bush was hoping for, actually). So I started looking at scooters, etc., but something that could be used on Interstates, etc., i.e., not a "moped". Otherwise, what's the point? I could easily ride a regular bicycle 30 miles a day, so... hell, I was doing that when I was 10 years old : )

Ended up buying my first Sportster (883 Deluxe). I think it could hit 65 mpg (what highway-capable scooter gets more than 85 mpg?), and counting all costs including depreciation (I paid cash and "self insured")... and factoring in gas savings by using it as my primary commute vehicle... I made $3 every time I rode it to work (75-mile round-trip every day). Put 30,000 miles on the '91 in 1-1/2 years (2500 in one 5-day period : ), and traded it in for a '92 (1200), getting on trade what I paid for it. Only had the '92 for maybe six months when Andrew hit, and sold it back to the dealer for $150 less than I paid for it in order to get money to move out of South Florida.

Of course, both were mint. Another customer who had been seen my '91 while I was waiting to pick up the '92 was shocked when I told him it was my trade in... he thought it was brand-new : )

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What electronic device isn't made in China these days? Most of the electronics in a Ford or Chevy come from the same street they make iPhones and Nikes. Hell, Harley's sold in the States are assembled here from parts made in Pennsylvania, new York, Michigan, Brazil, India, and southeast Asia. The vast majority of battery powered anything is made in China with chips from Taiwan or South Korea

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What electronic device isn't made in China these days? Most of the electronics in a Ford or Chevy come from the same street they make iPhones and Nikes. Hell, Harley's sold in the States are assembled here from parts made in Pennsylvania, new York, Michigan, Brazil, India, and southeast Asia. The vast majority of battery powered anything is made in China with chips from Taiwan or South Korea
    No doubt... and that's why it's all garbage.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    116   0   0
    Peddling aids your balance on two wheels. If it's difficult to balance on two wheels maybe you should consider another method of transportation.

Dr. Clare Safran-Norton, a physical therapist at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Going for a bike ride is good for your heart and muscles, and it may improve how you walk, balance, and climb stairs. Just ask FJB. Riding a cheap ccp bike you get non of the advantages. Pardon me if I have strayed off topic. The OP was a bit broad and open ended.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me and my wife are both 66 years old, We both mountain bike, (As in riding a bicycle on mountain trails) We own horses and we actually camp on horseback sometime( We ride into the back country and camp) We backpack a lot, My daughter complains that I should not be trying to carry 60 to 70 pounds.We do a lot of canoeing and kayaking, And even do an occasional Whitewater rafting trip. This picture was taken a couple of months ago in North Carolina that's my sister-in-law in the front the wife was Taking the picture. I was simply asking a question hoping for a response from men Who actually had experience with e bikes. I have seen on the news where everything from cell phones to cars have exploded or burned up. I was not looking for debate about China we all know what a screw up that is. So if you have personal experience with an e Bike I would like your input.
    Screenshot_20230809-163439_Facebook.jpg

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I see that you got nowhere with your question. I'll try to give you an honest appraisal. I'm 74. I have a high end E-bike that I use for getting around locally while turkey hunting and I trailer it to Illinois in the Fall for Deer hunting. To me, it has been a game changer. I'm very pleased with mine and would be happy to discuss it with you via a direct message.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I've seen the kids BMX bikes for sale in the Harley dealerships that use a DeWalt battery. That is a game changer! You can find DeWalt batteries anywhere... at any job site, pawn shop, hardware store... it puts down the argument that battery is less convenient than gas, which is everywhere. I have yet to see a large mountain bike that takes DeWalt batteries, tho, without it being an aftermarket drill kit added to a regular mountain bike.

I've seen some e-bikes labeled "cargo bikes". They have beefier frame tubes that are longer for carrying bigger saddlebags. I've seen these cargo bikes outfitted with off the shelf 12 volt car batteries and deep cycles. Coupled with a solar powered trickle charger it might be a good thing. Guy I know in Milton at the bike shop by Burger King says he geared up one of those cargo bikes to get a top speed of over 80 miles an hour

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I converted a Jamis aluminum frame street bike to electric several yrs ago. It does about an unassisted 25mph for 20 miles on a charge. Fun for awhile but now it's just gathering dust in my garage.
    Did you use the electric wheel hub kit for the front tire?

glens

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An electric bike uses un-renewable resources that are mined by children in the battery they use. They defeat one of the purposes for using a bike. Why do you think all those Europeans ride pedal yourself bikes.
    Cause Europeans are Cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom