• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nfluencial

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, my first time hunting was Thursday and Friday. I've seen nothing. I have a feeling I am doing something wrong... Maybe I am not going deep enough into the land. I am alone and try to maintain a distance from the road close enough to haul one in. I have been finding signs of deer and staying down wind but not even a faint sign... I'm lost.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's just Eglin. Pretty much the norm. I know a guy that's been hunting Eglin for 40 years. He likes hunting there because he knows the layout. But a lease brings home the bacon, and he will tell you so.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Elgin is one of them places you really have to do your home work on I spend 5 months hunting it and 7 months stalking it lol and then they burn it and I have to start all over again

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes...lots of scouting, Which area are you hunting in Eglin?

I am not digging the new Sike's area since its a different permit, it's where I was hunting but I opted to go for a new area this year. Wasn't seeing much in the Sike's area last year and the dog hunters were getting on my nerves (my fault since I was still hunting their area) Impossible to pattern the deer in the dog areas... I had scouted several deer super highways... dogs run it once and I never saw a fresh track the rest of the season.

I am concentrating on the Tom's Creek area this year.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am hunting Jackson north and metts. Thanks for the reply. I figure its just about perseverance.

Definitely about perseverance. I have been hunting Eglin for about 18 years and typically see about 15-20 does for each buck. They do not allow for a doe season with exception of bow hunting and special hunts, thus the does over populate the bucks. Plus there are a lot of people hunting Eglin.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I hunt down the river road 211 most my hunting is bow so I do a lot of east river area or the old unit 4 up by the skeet range.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Definitely about perseverance. I have been hunting Eglin for about 18 years and typically see about 15-20 does for each buck. They do not allow for a doe season with exception of bow hunting and special hunts, thus the does over populate the bucks. Plus there are a lot of people hunting Eglin.
    Yea I wish they would have a doe week and do a little better buck Management.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No does at all? Even during antlerless days?

No, no does at all unless bow hunting, or if you register one of your kids for the special youth hunt and they are lucky enough to get drawn. Also the season is much shorter than state land. As Emcm2 stated once you find a good area they will burn it, close it off or clear cut it. I had a good spot with two nice bucks two years ago, then next thing they were out the with all kinds of equipment, saying if you have any stands up you better get them down quick before the cleared the land.

Nfluencial

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, no does at all unless bow hunting, or if you register one of your kids for the special youth hunt and they are lucky enough to get drawn. Also the season is much shorter than state land. As Emcm2 stated once you find a good area they will burn it, close it off or clear cut it. I had a good spot with two nice bucks two years ago, then next thing they were out the with all kinds of equipment, saying if you have any stands up you better get them down quick before the cleared the land.

That's awesome... I may just get a lease if I can afford it next year...

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got a permit for Eglin my jeep club rides out there. Would this be a good place to go hunting for the first time? Was going to try to find someone experienced to take me out. and when I mean never been it means haven't shot any type of anything before.

Nfluencial

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ryan, eglin has lots of good places to hunt. Its my first season too. I have seen a lot of things, out of season lol.

Top Bottom