• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trying to cut some costs here at home by using a digital TV antenna on the TV. It's an analog TV, but a digital antenna is necessary to picku up the signal, then the signal goes through a converter. Got it? Great.

I'm able to get a few channels, but NOT Ch. 3 WEAR. I understand all the local TV towers are in the same area and can't figure out why I don't get Ch. 3. Anybody know anything about this? It's a mystery to me.......

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Channel 3's digital OTR antenna is sucking lately. I used to be able to get good to great signal as I am only about 3 miles from their studio, but they have been having big time problems for the past two weeks or so. Give it a week and try to re-scan for channels, and hopefully they will get it fixed.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know what kind of antenna you have but many of them are directional. Are you sure all antennas are in the same area? I have to turn mine some just between the Mobile stations. To get WEAR I have to turn it 90 degrees. You may need more height.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. According to TVFool.com, their map shows the broadcast towers to be around Wilcox Rd for WEAR and the Mobile stations. I'm gonna try moving it around a bit, maybe even put it in the attic with a more westerly alignment. And it's not nice to make jokes about needing more height when i'm not quite 5'7". LOL

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since tv went to ditigal reception sucks at times with any chanel. I live in a motor home and bad reception can be caused by anything including the weather. The antana isn't that important,more the direction it is pointed. 2 or 3 degrees can make a world of diffrence even from one day to the next. I know because some days I spend more time getting up and down to move the antana than I do watching. It's always when a program is on that I really wanted to see. Hopes that helps

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've got my home phone, internet and TV with AT&T and I am ashamed to say what I have been paying. It's ridiculous. I told my wife that we need to cut back on this. I'm trying to get her to let's cut out the home phone. We don't need it. All we ever get on it is sales calls. All our friends call our cell phones which have very good reception since we went with Verizon. We couldn't use them at home with AT&T. Reception was awful.
    So who do you guys use for internet and TV ? I'm looking to save some bucks without sacrificing service if that's possible.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After 40yrs. or so with at&t, we just could not get cost down or stay the same month to month so we quit them an that is not easy! After a month or so of headaches we now have tv-cable with Mediacom an internet, our home phone is magic jack plus, yes that's right, finally got everything working now, lost our 40yr. old phone num. but, we are living with it, cut our cost way down an not any sales sales calls!!!!cell phones mostly!!!!

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got my home phone, internet and TV with AT&T and I am ashamed to say what I have been paying. It's ridiculous. I told my wife that we need to cut back on this. I'm trying to get her to let's cut out the home phone. We don't need it. All we ever get on it is sales calls. All our friends call our cell phones which have very good reception since we went with Verizon. We couldn't use them at home with AT&T. Reception was awful.
    So who do you guys use for internet and TV ? I'm looking to save some bucks without sacrificing service if that's possible.

We've had Mediacom the last couple of years for TV, interweb, and phone. Our bill was out of control too and changes needed to be made. Actually the only TV on antenna will be one my wife watches in the morning while she gets ready for work, and she only watches Good Morning America, so we just need the one channel.

So we dumped Mediacom, deleted our home phone, and went with Uverse for the other TV's and internet. We have also had ATT cell phones for a good many years and they are AWFUL where we live. Almost useless at home, and where my parents live in Alabama I get "no service" on my screen. So my commitment to them ran out and I got Straight Talk, with Verizon service that works at their house. When my wife's contract runs out in Oct, she will switch over as well. My phone now works GREAT here too.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    U-verse or satellite are my only choices. Mediacom will not run a line down my driveway. They say it's too far, even though there was a line before and a tree took it down before I moved in. Verizon is the only cell service that works inside here. Everyone else has to walk outside and get on a ladder.

You guys with crappy cell service at home, call your provider and complain. They can give you a repeater for your house that usually gives reliable service as long as you are inside.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have an HDTV antenna on our roof. It's awesome! Get at least a dozen or so channels, it doesn't even cut out in the rain and wind. The networks channels come in clear. We don't have cable. Between the antenna and Netflix/Hulu we are good : )

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Netflix is awesome. I don't watch it as much as my wife does, we just have different TV interests, but if we didn't have Netflix she'd drive me crazy.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had crappy cell service at home with Sprint (sucks) and they wouldn't do a thing to help. Dropped them like a whiney girlfriend and went with Verizon.

Wish I could figure out how get around the internet thing. I have Brighthouse since Cox nor AT&T is not out here. We have basic cable and internet through them. No land line, haven't had one in 7 years. Seems like a lot of it is a waste of money. Hundreds of channels and I watch no more than 5 and generally don't watch the tube at all. Wife watches channel 3 only. I'd go with a digital antenna if I could get the internet some other way.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we also have a HDTV antenna on our roof with a 35 DB amp right at the antenna. you get better reception with no loss through the aprox 50' cable with the amp there. mine is set in one position and I get a lot of chls. cut the cord last year and don't even miss cable. Do have Netflix/Hulu
    Fox News is something I enjoy and stream it live here.- o'reilly factor every week night
    http://livetvcafe.net/video/7RDR4DAYSBMO/Fox-News
    stream one doesn't always work but stream 3 does almost all the time for me.
    I enjoy Duck Dynasty because until 11 YO I grew up in the Hills of North Alabama and have family like these guys. I watch it here
    http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/video/

WARNING - I never see any pop ups or Trojans but don't blame me if you do not have Antivirus .
    I run Kaspersky for 6 years now without problem so I don't know what is out there.
    Many more sites I stream from but here are two to start. Good luck being unplugged , I will never go back to cable

We should all share our sights for streams with each other!

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I used to dove hunt over around Cleveland. I grew up in Morgan Co. west of Decatur. It was dry so there was plenty of ethanol there too.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got my digital issues straightened out today. Took my digital antenna up in the attic, pointed it west, robbed Mediabomb's old co-ax, and hooked it all up. Crystal clear with all the channels my wife could ever want and got PEACE in my house. I'm sure glad Mediabomb will be glad to know they were able to help.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom