• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theeyeguy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because this isn't using an image intensifier tube, as far as I know, there isn't really a "max limit" on caliber. Most analog NV has a limit of 556 (Night Optics did just drop a new scope that can handle 308). When looking at analog NV, the unit uses an image intensifier tube that is partly made of glass and is fairly fragile. This is all digital and much more akin to a hightech camera than an optical sighting system in basic design. The resolution on this isn't going to be that bad. It has a 1080p sensor and puts out a near 720p image (can't really use the 720p as the resolution as it has a different shape than an HD tv, but it is higher resolution than "standard def"). Amplification should be REALLY good for daytime use since this is meant to be used at night as well. In fact, I'm not sure what FL gun laws are but I'm going to have to look into whether this is legal to deer hunt with since you will be able to "amplify light" at dusk.

theeyeguy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and NV capability with analog tech has come down a long way in regards to price. I can get some amazing stuff for 2k or less.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    here is what I am expecting and have been told.
    The price point for a 200-300 range shooting Digital unit $500-600
    HD Color daytime scope
    308 capable
    200-300 yrd shooting range w illuminator at night
    the camera and DVD combined internal along w the other gadgets

It will never compare to a Gen 2-3 NV $3-5K and is not meant to but will be the best digital out there. Poor mans night vision if you will. I will be honest and tell you what I think after mine arrives.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If the ranges are 200-300yds AT NIGHT that would work for 99.9% of the shots that I have seen(not taken). If the resolution goes right along with the ranges as they advance,to me,that would be normal,and acceptable. A high powered IR illuminator would be a huge plus.

It is always extremely important that for me,I get what I feel that I am paying for. For the price,this might be a good unit. I would prefer not to have,or pay for,the extras,but hey ......... it is what it is. With my thermal I feel that I paid for stuff that I really did not need,in the power settings >4X and the color palette. To me a unit that has 2X and 4X is really all you need,and with thermal,white hot and black hot will do it. I have a bunch more others that I hardly ever use(read,not needed).

I have submitted a question to FWC re. hunting with a thermal scope on two different occasions. Both times I did not receive an answer. My question went something like this ---> I have a thermal scope on a rifle. the scope has digital crosshairs. It can be used during the hours of complete sunlight. Can I take this weapon with thermal scope to my shooting house,on private land,at noon,and use it to hunt deer with up until 1/2 hour after sunset. Then continue to sit in the shooting house and target ONLY coyotes and hogs during the hours of complete darkness ??

I have submitted other questions to FWC and they always come back with an answer within about 5 days. --- SAWMAN

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me know what you find out on that (if they ever reply...). I just assumed that it was legal and never thought to ask the question.

Smitty

theeyeguy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am hoping to be wrong on this, but I doubt I would feel comfortable identifying a target at 200yrds with any sort of digital NV. Less than 100 with optimal lighting, it may be great but I doubt I would feel comfortable taking a really long shot like I am with my D760 Gen 3+ NV Scope.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well the D760 and gen 3 is a different animal very fine sight, I would like that too. A Professional hunter on the ATN staff had a 5-18 in the field evaluating and said 200 was effective, I personally do not know.

Top Bottom