Target Sports

Dental Implants and Alternatives....Anyone gone through this ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well.....If you manage to come off of a ladder from about 12 feet up and land perfectly on the side of your face... right at the gum line of most of your upper left teeth against the edge of a 5/4 deck board ....trust me....the deck board will win..I know !!!

Then while working in your shop ( Couple of days ago ) a table leg slides off the top shelf and smacks you ...oh yea...right in the front of your face and snaps out one of your high dollar crowns at the gum line....Life just keeps getting better by the day !!!

I am a disabled Veteran...Not 100% so the VA is out....the new VA Dental Insurance Program VADIP appears to be worthless according to all reviews...and have no other dental insurance (As yet ).

So has any one gone through anything like this....any advice ...direction....a specialty/cosmetic dentist in Pensacola that is not out shopping for a new Porsche that they have had experience with ?

I have researched one that has rave reviews and I would not have to sell a kidney to get through this..but you know how that goes....there is always that "Free Surprise" add on factors that get you .

In the mean while....Is the TV Show " Hee-Haw " hiring any character actors !!!

Any input would be very much appreciated ....

Thanks

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dang, sorry to hear of your problems. I had a tooth break vertically about 3 years ago. My dentist put on a temporary patch and sent me to a guy named Woods over on Davis between Airport and Burgess.
    He looked at it and said he would have to pull the rest of the tooth and put in a titanium post. Then put a crown on top of that. Total would be about $2800. My insurance would pay all but $800 of it. The patch is still working so I have just put it off, mostly because I don't like pain. Nor do I like paying $800.

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a crown and a veneer put in 4 years ago. Was worried it would look like they gorilla glued a tic tac to my gums so I shopped around. Jay Boatwright on 9th won and did the best job ever and is a great guy!

pavegunner1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man you've had a run of bad luck. I've had 4 implants over the last 3 years, baseball to the mouth 40 years ago. Bridges finally failed so I opted for the permanent solution. Dr Williams on Spanish Trail did the implants and my local dentist did the crowns. Implants run about $2,000 each and crowns $1,000 - $1,500 each. I had good dental insurance with the company I worked for and they covered half of the cost. Like you said, ain't getting any help with dental........or vision from the VA. Most oral surgeons performing implants have a finance plan because they know folks don't have thousands laying around for dental work. Good luck with what ever route you take.

otis

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a implant to replace a root canal that went bad. Not the cheapest route to go, my insurance would not pay for the implant but payed for half of the crown. But it is as strong or stonger than the tooth it replaces. It is a lengthy process, takes about 6 months for the whole process. Dr Kevin Dean in Foley Al done mine and he done great job, he has an office in pensacola. http://www.omfs-pensacola.com/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine isn't near that bad, but unfortunately there is no inexpensive route except maybe pulling all of them and getting dentures.
    I'm slowly having old fillings replaced with crowns because the fillings are 20-30 years old and the mercury in them has cracked my teeth when it expands and contracts.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not exactly the same thing, but after my root canal debacle in 2011 I decides then and there the next time around, they can keep the tooth.

I'm sure you don't want to go that route. Simply my unsolicited opinion

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have you thought of going to Mexico and getting it done for a dime on the dollar...? Don't laugh, I was TDY with my aviation company about 5-6 yrs ago in Albuquerque and a guy who worked there's wife worked for a dentist in Mexico and he set up trips for folks...kinda like a travel agent...he arraigned everything. Here's a link to a PBS article/ about this... left side has audio report via NPR I'm sure....Sounds crazy but it may be a good idea...good luck and watch out while on those ladders...

PS Its only 900 miles to Brownsville TX/ Matamoros Mex...found a place on fb in a few minutes....(second link)

The story
    http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/feb/09/medical-maquila-insurers-are-following-americans-m/

Greengos Dental Care (what a name...?)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greengos-Dental-Care/53951126291

Last edited:

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea....we all have our own Runs Of Bad Luck from time to time......I have been researching and I can't believe some of the cost factors...I understand now why so many people put off going to have anything done....Hell, I could pay off my house for what some of these dentists want for Implants...

And life goes on .....Thanks for the reply

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your right.....There is/are dentists in Cancun that are all over the Youtube channel.....And there are tons of folks from the US and more from Canada that have choosen that route....It cost about 50 to 70% less to go down to Cancun and have work done.....

Now....I just wish that someone would explain to me why people are having to/forced to go to another country for their damn dental work and also you can buy US PRODUCED MEDS for about 1/4 of the price we pay here in the good Ole USA !!!

Does any of this make any sense to any of you guys ???

Thanks

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your right.....There is/are dentists in Cancun that is all over the Youtube channel.....And there are tons of folks from the US and more from Canada that have choosen that route....It cost about 50 to 70% less to go down to Cancun and have work done.....

Now....I just wish that someone would explain to me why people are going to another country for their dental work and also you can buy US PRODUCED MEDS for about 1/4 of the price we pay here in the good Ole USA !!!

Does any of this make any sense to any of you guys ???

Thanks

Back in the late 70s my grandparents used to go to Mexico in their motorhome from their house in Indiana for my grandpa's medications every six months. Even with the travel expense they say they saved about 60%.
    I had a guy on my team back in 04 who needed a root canal while we were in Ukraine. We took him to a dentist in Kiev the total bill was $37. The dentist was trained in Germany and used all German equipment. I talk to him every week and he hasn't had any issues with it like we figured he would have eventually.

Looking at the VA Dental care it looks pretty much identical to what I get through Tricare and as much as it sucks it's still better than paying the full bill. The biggest issue for you would be they don't cover much beyond an exam and cleaning for the first year.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep....Checked on that also.....The only thing available is the PSC school for dental assistants (?)...They will Clean your teeth only...and then only at the rate of a quadrant ...1/4 at a time.....so numerous visits and it takes hours/days/weeks to get it finished !!!

Is there a dental school anywhere around? They do work on the cheap. The students are supervised.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrankT......Thanks for the reply and help.....I talked to a neighbor yesterday and she had gone to several of those clinics....She said it looked like a Damn Obama Rally held in the Hood in Chicago !!!

And they pretty much only offer basic cleaning and emergency extractions...Hell after falling 12 feet off the ladder and landing on the side of my jaw and kissing the heavy end of a damn table leg I have figured out how to extract !!! Hell...if anybody on here needs a tooth/teeth removed I think I will start a service cause I got the methods down pat .....It will only be $20.00 per tooth and that includes a 1/2 pint of cheap whiskey !!! In and out in about 2 minutes !!!

I have already come to the conclusion that I am going to be putting out a bunch of peso's on this deal....

Please watch this forum for things I may have listed for sale....

1) A kidney !!! At fair market price !!!

2) An Ex Mother in Law....No...Uh wait ....that's Free !!!

3) A complete "Cross Dresser " wardrobe...complete with matching shoes and purses !!! But then again I just figured I would give Sean a call and give him first Whack at it ....So to speak !!!

I will get this worked out....I have been in a whole lot worse " World Of Shit Scenarios " than this.....It's just life.....

Thanks for the reply

Seems Like I heard of a Dental Free Clinic, this one was in Freeport but check the County or agency resources around you.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah still a place to try and see what they can do as they say it is somewhat free.

Sean will really appreciate the new wardrobe I am sure.

Do you have to catch the mother-in-law to take possession?

Keep positive

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My grandfather used to make the trip from show low to Mexico to fill prescriptions, etcetera.

It's funny. Mexicans come here for the health care and we go to Mexico for the health care.
    How does this work again?

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrankT...

Oh I plan on making several more calls on Monday.....I will get this worked out....

I was just sitting here thinking....

Let's say I go and just do the whole Hollyweird Movie Star Implant Program and use their special " Financing Program "....Just come out looking like a Movie Star.....and within the next few months the entire economy collapses....Can they "Repo" my new Hollyweird Teeth !!!

At least I would be the best looking CQC Man on the team !!!

Last edited:

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrankT.....I Forgot.....

Yes...On the Mother in Law situation....It is a " Catch & Keep " program.....I would recommend that you bring a bag of raw meat to distract her...a well made muzzle...make that an XL Muzzle cause that mouth is pretty big !!! And one of the loop stick things the animal control people use to loop around the necks of wild dogs....And be fore warned...You need to be in pretty good physical shape and be able to take a punch....and be sure to bring at least a #10 welding goggles....You don't want to look her dead in her eyes !!!

Good luck

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's funny. Mexicans come here for the health care and we go to Mexico for the health care.
    How does this work again?

They come here for free health care and we go there for cheaper health care because we are paying for their free healthcare. :frusty:

Top Bottom