• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So i dropped the ball when rebel rider was selling his jeep. Started looking around and picked this old school one up in orange beach. 73 cj5 with a 304, fender headers, and a fiberglass body. It was rebuilt about a year ago. I might have to get back out to yellow river this hunting season!

Attachments

• 20220826_174631.jpg
      20220826_174631.jpg
      486.9 KB · Views: 58

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My love of jeeps started with my Dads stories about when he worked at a machine shop in selma alabama. He put airplane tires with chains welded across the rims and double trannies for a swamp hunting flatfender willys. I finally built a mean cj7 on 39.5 boggers in venezuela when i lived there. Restored a 78 cj5 before the last divorce when we moved back. Had a built yj when i met my current wife but fell on hard times and had to sell it.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I built my septic system by myself, I feel for you, it's no easy task. I'm convinced if santa rosa a county employee can't make it in any other form of government employment they gave the jobs to the src health dept "inspectors".

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love Jeeps too.
    My first vehicle was a 1947 CJ 2A.

Worked a summer job between Jr & Senior high school with my Dad in 1970 to buy it.
    $350!
    Statue of limitations surely have run out so I’ll tell this story and try to tell the short version:
    Dad was a Pipefitter and I got the big idea to mount a cannon on my jeep.
    Piece of 2” black iron with a cap on one end and about 3’ long.
    Mounted it under front channel fender/someplace else using electrician corn clamps and U bolts.
    F5377E39-60D5-40C2-B53F-4B68DC25CCC5.jpeg

Set charge off electrically using a camera flash bulb (AG1B) with plastic coating scraped off and electric tape to insulate.(They’d pop when they’d go off then).
    1225F36D-2AE8-4DA1-A45B-CCFAF201DB8A.jpeg

Use a long piece of bell wire and attach flash bulb wires and use a bit of black powder bought from Byron Melvin owner of Ammunition Sales on Sycamore and wrapping the mess together in aluminum foil and paper packing and ram it down the barrel followed by some gravel and more paper packing.
    (Wire went down the muzzle too.)
    Buddy riding shotgun would set it off attaching bell wires to a 9 volt radio battery.
    GREAT FUN!

It came loose one time firing in a clay pit and the pipe jammed in the ground and nearly threw us out when it jacked the jeep up like a pole vaulter as we ran over it.

Another time, we were back behind the newly built George Stone school in the old landing field that was now a field of broom straw grass and a covey of quail scattered in front of us.
    We stopped and watch where most of them landed and headed that way to smoke them with gravel when the flew again.

Well we got lucky and the pair flew and Dale touched off the charge at them. Didn’t hit any.
    Stopped and reloaded and headed off across the field to look for more.
    Thats when we noticed we’d set the field on fire from the smoldering paper and no way were we going to be able to stomp it out.
    We high tailed it out of there......

I’m begging forgiveness for my dumb youth,,spelling and sentence structure.

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Love Jeeps too.
    My first vehicle was a 1947 CJ 2A.

Worked a summer job between Jr & Senior high school with my Dad in 1970 to buy it.
    $350!
    Statue of limitations surely have run out so I’ll tell this story and try to tell the short version:
    Dad was a Pipefitter and I got the big idea to mount a cannon on my jeep.
    Piece of 2” black iron with a cap on one end and about 3’ long.
    Mounted it under front channel fender/someplace else using electrician corn clamps and U bolts.
    Set charge off electrically using a camera flash bulb (AG1B) with plastic coating scraped off. (They’d pop when they’d go off then).
    Use a long piece of bell wire and attach flash bulb wires and use a bit of black powder bought from Byron Melvin owner of Ammunition Sales on Sycamore and wrapping the mess together in aluminum foil and paper packing and ram it down the barrel followed by some gravel and more paper packing.
    (Wire went down the muzzle too.)
    Buddy riding shotgun would set it off attaching bell wires to a 9 volt radio battery.
    GREAT FUN!

It came loose one time firing in a clay pit and the pipe jammed in the ground and nearly threw us out when it jacked the jeep up like a pole vaulter as we ran over it.

Another time, we were back behind the newly built George Stone school in the old landing field that was now a field of broom straw grass and a covey of quail scattered in front of us.
    We stopped and watch where most of them landed and headed that way to smoke them with gravel when the flew again.

Well we got lucky and the pair flew and Dale touched off the charge at them. Didn’t hit any.
    Stopped and reloaded and headed off across the field to look for more.
    Thats when we noticed we’d set the field on fire from the smoldering paper and no way were we going to be able to stomp it out.
    We high tailed it out of there......

I’m begging forgiveness for my dumb youth,,spelling and sentence structure.
    Ha, that may have been a story better left untold LOL I don't think there is a Statue of limitations fo crimes committed in a Jeep.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Love it! Would have kept mine but working a debt free plan. Will be using the $$ for a septic system for the new place we are going to build. ( no mortgage! No loans) Harley is still available!!
    You'll be one of the few Americans that are truly "free". People look at me like I am an alien when I tell them I haven't needed credit for 22 years. Still don't and I don't know how people slept at night with $2k a month in new car payments. Congratulations!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You'll be one of the few Americans that are truly "free". People look at me like I am an alien when I tell them I haven't needed credit for 22 years. Still don't and I don't know how people slept at night with $2k a month in new car payments. Congratulations!
    Trying to get there! Plan on retirement at 62. 10 years.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    It's great to be debt free (other than monthly expenses and property taxes). I haven't applied for any credit since my last mortgage in 2002, and that was paid off long ago. No car payments, and credit card charges (used rather than carrying a bunch of cash) are paid off even before the statement arrives. I've had a credit freeze in place with the big 3 credit bureaus for about the past 10+ years, and my credit score bounces around between the 820s & 830s, if that even matters.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So i dropped the ball when rebel rider was selling his jeep. Started looking around and picked this old school one up in orange beach. 73 cj5 with a 304, fender headers, and a fiberglass body. It was rebuilt about a year ago. I might have to get back out to yellow river this hunting season!
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced CJ.
    What did you pay?

Top Bottom