• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a single action colt frontier scout and the pin that holds the cylinder in won't budge. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the gun?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You could try putting some penetrating oil around the pin, then use a hair dryer on Hi-heat and let it blow on it for a while until it gets too hot to touch, then put a little more penetrating oil around the pin again, and lightly tap it with a small (gunsmith sized) brass hammer, then repeat the procedure until it free's. You may want to put a leather strap/belt over the pin before tapping it so as not to scar/mar it. Seems like water has got it seized up?
    If you don't mind marring up the pin, or prepared to buy a new one, do the above, tap down on it, then clamp a small needle-nosed vise clamp pliers onto the pin, and tap the pliers outward. You may get by putting the leather around the pin to keep from marring it. Other than this, you may want to take it to a gunsmith. g/l

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    clock the hammer and you should be able to see the end of the pin in the frame , then use a brass punch and tap on it and it should move, be such you have the retainer in front in the right place. to allow the pin to come out. If this don't work come see me. All so the above may work all so. just my 5 cents jj

Last edited:

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, I put some penetrating oil on it and was able to get it out by wrapping some pliers in cloth and working it back and forth. Little more oil and it came out and didn't mess the pin up.

Top Bottom