• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems to be a few of you guys that i know are into cycling. Anyone else?

I am more into mountain biking and have ridden for about 6 years now. I do not own a road bicycle these days. I do however have a cyclocross bike and enjoy riding it doing cyclocross type stuff.

Anyone else into the sport of cycling?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've gotten my feet a little wet in cycling over the past few months. Been on a couple MTB rides (nothing difficult, as long as you don't eat a ton of Whataburger right before you ride) and a few road rides. I really enjoy road cycling and I need to get back into it since things have started to calm down now that the holidays are over.

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you ridden the mountain bike trails at UWF? Those are a blast. Some are even beginner friendly.

We ride a lot at night in the woods this time of year. I have a 2000 lumen light on my helmet so it's basically daylight.

I'm president of Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists if you ever have any questions or want to go ride. The Mobile crew is a great bunch and the trails at USA and Chicky are nice. But I'm 5 minutes from the 22.5 miles of trails at UWF so I'm pretty partial to those. They are a blast.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you ridden the mountain bike trails at UWF? Those are a blast. Some are even beginner friendly.

We ride a lot at night in the woods this time of year. I have a 2000 lumen light on my helmet so it's basically daylight.

I'm president of Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists if you ever have any questions or want to go ride. The Mobile crew is a great bunch and the trails at USA and Chicky are nice. But I'm 5 minutes from the 22.5 miles of trails at UWF so I'm pretty partial to those. They are a blast.

That's the only place I've ridden. I went once with Jogan and Ian, the other time I took my wife out there (she was on a hybrid and had a bad time). I've never tried the USA trails, and I'm a little scared of Chickasabogue. That part of town can be pretty sketchy.

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A hybrid at UWF normally doesn't equal a good time. We have all done it. Sometimes even more than once. It just rarely ever works out.

Chickasabogue park is real nice once you get there.

If you are riding with ian just stay away from train tracks.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So those of you who Mountain Bike what bikes do you have? I'm interested in getting a Mountain Bike but there are a lot of brands out there. I'm just now starting to do the research and it would be good to know what guys who already ride use. I want to get a decent Mountain that won't break the bank but will still handle the trails. I grew up riding road bikes so my knowledge of Mountain Bikes is just from what I've read online. I came close to buying a Trek Mamba a couple years ago and now they don't sell that model anymore.

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been riding an aluminum Giant Anthem X 29er since 2011. Then I have a Salsa El Mariachi steel hardtail which I've had as a backup bike for about a year now. Then a All City Macho Man steel cyclocross bike. I enjoy all three and would rank them high in their respective categories. Granted steel, aluminum, and carbon bikes should be categorised separately.

There are a few major brands: Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott, and Cannondale. All are similar and all are different. I would look at what others are riding and how happy they are with service at their local bike shop.

Being president of Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists I can't endorse a specific brand or bike shop. But I'm very happy with what I ride and I know Ian & Jogan are very happy with their bikes.

Don't forget to keep an eye on Craigslist for a decent deal on used bikes. They pop up regularly. Also, don't forget to budget for things a helmet, gloves, shorts, pedals, and shoes.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the way the technology is these days, you really can't go wrong with a new MTB from one of the above mentioned manufacturers. Best thing to do is go get sized at a local bike shop. Then, determine you budget. That'll dictate how much bike you can afford. For a hard-tail (Front suspension only) a decent NEW one will start at around $800. For a full-suspension, a decent NEW one will start around $1300. I found a used hard-tail in my size for less than $600 on craigslist, then a few months later found a road bike in my size for a little more than $700. Deals CAN be found, but you gotta know what you're looking for. Absolute best bet would be to get a new one from a trusted local bike shop. They'll work with you if you have any questions or issues. You'll also develop a loyal relationship with them and that always works out best for both parties. While I've bought both my bikes used off craigslist, I've spent over a grand at our local bike shop and those guys are awesome to deal with. When the time comes for me to upgrade and get a new bike, there's no question where I'll go. Straight to those guys!

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I was buying a new mountain bike today, it'd be a Giant Anthem X 29'er. I've been wanting that one for a few years now, but I've been doing strictly road cycling for the past few years. I want to get back on the mountain bike this year.
    If anyone is looking for a stationary bike for indoor training, World Gym in Cantonment is selling off a bunch of spin bikes. Most could use a little cleaning and TLC, but are structurally sound. I picked one up a couple weeks ago. Some are in better shape than others, so look them over closely.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    DAMN !!! When I saw the thread titled "Cycling" I figured that this was about another Wilson Combat that would not work until you put 400rds+ thru it.

NOW ...... I see this is about humans over the age of 12 that actually ride a bike. All I can say is the grown-ups that ride a mountain bike should be hunting Eglin,about 5 miles in off of Hwy 285.

Have fun ----- SAWMAN

Top Bottom