Connecticut Man Refuses to Show Gun Permit!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dead-bird

Marksman
    The intent is NOT clear if it is not reflected in the statute.

Last edited:

bigbulls

Marksman
    I'm just glad that none of you guys are sitting judges. So many of you read things into the law that isn't there. The law says exactly what it says. That's it, period, end of story. You don't get to decide what you "think" the law "should be". Or what you think the law makers "meant to write". None of any ones opinions matter one bit. The law is exactly what it is.
    I seriously don't know what's so friggin hard to understand about the Conn. law not requiring him to show his permit.

The officer made an unlawful arrest. I would be taking legal action against the officer, police department, and city/state if I were him.

Welldoya

Master
    Why have a requirement for a permit then?
    I don't consider a Leo asking me for ID or a required permit to be a violation of my rights. I'm glad they are doing their jobs.
    And as for a lawsuit - you are taking money from the taxpayers, not the supposed offending officer.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Why have a requirement for a permit then?

That is the question that should be asked, why is a permit required to exercise a right? I would love to see the same restrictions (or lack of) put on voting that are put on the 2nd amendment.

Flguy32514

Expert
    I only read to page 3, but to those of those that are saying stand up for your rights, If you don't have to show him don't.... Don't you think you could find a civilized way to stand up for your rights? show your permit, get the confrontation over with. Then if the officer is nice and willing to talk. speak with him about the statute. carry a copy of it with you. if he won't talk or doesn't care, file a complaint. Many Departments lack in training. and both concealed and open carry are becoming more and more popular faster than both the written law, and the officers that enforce it, can keep up.

When I did armed security I had to carry a copy of the statute that shows it is a higher degree of battery if you hit a security officer. because it wasn't a very often used law. just like open carry issues usually are.

So why prevoke things and be an ass, leaving a bad taste in an officers mouth about someone that is suppose to be on his side, the law abiding people. instead of trying to talk to him?

Completely unrelated to firearms, but our business recieved a ticket once from a alabama department of conservation officer who didn't know the law. We explained it both at the time and later. His supervisor contacted the health department and found out we were right but still refused to tear up the ticket(it's a warning) but it's still on our record.

I guess the point I'm making is its my responsibility to comply with the law but it's the officers JOB to know the law before writing a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    The sad part about this is the law is black and white and a lot of police officers don't care to educate themselves. I had a cop try putting me in hand cuffs one time because I was open carrying while redfishing in Navarre. The laws are written in black and white stop trying to contort them. If they don't say you HAVE to show your license to an officer when your are carrying then the officer is SOL. Sorry sir you are not above the law and they get extremely pissed because you prove them wrong. Let me ask this question do you want someone to uphold the law that doesn't know much about the law? Not me. Just my .2 cents

Flguy32514

Expert
    I agree brandon, completely. but in a case like this, where you can end the confrontation civilly then try to educate the officer. instead of just being an ass. why wouldn't you? I would file a complaint against an officer who attempted to arrest me for doing something legal, and I'd purse the hell out of it. but, in a case like this, Why be an ass?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I agree brandon, completely. but in a case like this, where you can end the confrontation civilly then try to educate the officer. instead of just being an ass. why wouldn't you? I would file a complaint against an officer who attempted to arrest me for doing something legal, and I'd purse the hell out of it. but, in a case like this, Why be an ass?

I would probably end the confrontation where he goes to arrest me because if he going to arrest he will whether he cares or not. Why I video tape everything when I am stopped by an officer (very rare). For my safety. Turn in the video with the complaint and also keep a copy for myself or if he does an unlawful arrest hopefully he gets reprimanded. There are way to many officers out there that don't care. Sad when I see stuff like this because that is the career path I am taking. Also we got to remember we are reading a NEWS article not actually there, always three sides to every story. Also another thing if you never stand for your rights then you will just be a sheep like everyone else. Just like the checkpoints asking if you are a citizen. All unconstitutional we are innocent until proven guilty not guilty until proven innocent. To much blood has been shed for the Constitution to just let someone not obey by the laws that have been written whether you are a civilian, leo, military whatever.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    When you are stopped you never know what kind of officer you are dealing with.
    He might be a good guy but he might also be the type that likes to show that he's in charge and loves to use that nightstick.
    Any problems I have with his conduct will be filed with his superiors. I'm not going to give him an excuse to start swinging or worse. It's a no win situation when you start arguing with a LEO in the street.

Out of curiosity how would most have handled a situation like transpired in Theodore 2 nights ago, where the man was found handcuffed and shot. It's been talked about that someone impersonated an officer and executed him. I am actually curious because just as the officers guard might be up, it's looking like the public needs to be extra vigilant as well even when being pulled over.

If this took place like their saying its a scary situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbulls

Marksman
    If there was s any question about the authenticity of the "officer" pulling you over call 911. Let the operator know where you are and that you need them to radio the officer and lat them know that you are aware of the officer behind you and to please follow you to a well lit public parking lot. Or have the 911 operator verify the authenticity of the officer.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    There was something funny going on with that case. Somebody went to the trouble of stealing a white Crown Vic in order to make the stop. I doubt it was random but what Bulls said is the right thing to do. The other night on the news, the officer being interviewed said pretty much the same thing. He even said to go to the nearest precinct or to request other officers.

avtech850

Expert
    I see both sides of it as well. I'm more than inclined to agree with your point that it is the states job to prove you guilty and not yours too prove your innocence. But all I can think about when I read this is something my Uncle told me (30 year LEO) "it's the side of the road, not a court room".
    I'm not saying that I don't think people can change a LEO'S mind, but as a general rule if you act like a dick it sure won't help your case one little bit.

gandog56

Expert
    Why do you intentionally go out of the way to annoy your cops? He's lucky he didn't end up with a nightstick shampoo!

Rapier

Marksman
    That Mobile shooting sounds like a hit. You can not steal two cars at one time and you sure as hell do not go back to get the other car with a dead guy laying there, so two people at least and you do not steal a cop's license plate to pull someone over for fun, unless your intentions are bad from the start.

Top Bottom