• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got my permit back. Looking to start carrying. What holsters do you guys recommend? Looking to potentially carry a Glock 42 or Taurus 85. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    After years of carry on and off duty I have come to love three for IWB - Holster King universal, Uncle Mike #3, Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. Taurus 85 is my yard work gun and I carry it in the universal or the Uncle Mike. The Uncle Mike is more comfortable if I am on the riding mower that day. Out with my family I usually carry a primary and backup and the primary usually rides in the Cloak Tuck, which can be quickly changed by switching the outer shell to accommodate many different makes/models. Having said this, a lot depends on what you wear. At work I must do the shirt and tie thing but on my own time I am always in some sort of shorts, t-shirt, and maybe a sweatshirt in Jan/Feb which allows for shoulder holster wear on occasion. Lots of my colleagues wear jeans, shirt, and some sort of unbuttoned over-shirt when on leisure time which affords them more options for OWB. OWB holsters on me always seem to stick out away from my body causing the weapon to print. Be interested to hear what you decide to go with.

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How long did it take your application to get back to you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I mailed mine in. Longer than a month. Not longer than 2. I believe about 6-weeks.

After years of carry on and off duty I have come to love three for IWB - Holster King universal, Uncle Mike #3, Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. Taurus 85 is my yard work gun and I carry it in the universal or the Uncle Mike. The Uncle Mike is more comfortable if I am on the riding mower that day. Out with my family I usually carry a primary and backup and the primary usually rides in the Cloak Tuck, which can be quickly changed by switching the outer shell to accommodate many different makes/models. Having said this, a lot depends on what you wear. At work I must do the shirt and tie thing but on my own time I am always in some sort of shorts, t-shirt, and maybe a sweatshirt in Jan/Feb which allows for shoulder holster wear on occasion. Lots of my colleagues wear jeans, shirt, and some sort of unbuttoned over-shirt when on leisure time which affords them more options for OWB. OWB holsters on me always seem to stick out away from my body causing the weapon to print. Be interested to hear what you decide to go with.

I have heard good things about the uncle mike. I have the same dressing behavior as you. Shirt and tie during the week for work then shorts and t shirts. Is your uncle mike a waistband or ankle holster?

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    How long did it take your application to get back to you?

FWIW, in person at FWB it took exactly two weeks from hitting "submit" on the computer to getting the permit in the mailbox.

OP, I'd take the Glock over the Taurus for a carry piece. And I'd take a 43 over a 42 - and a 19 over both of those. Alien Gear has been a good holster for me so far.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    FWIW, in person at FWB it took exactly two weeks from hitting "submit" on the computer to getting the permit in the mailbox.

Thanks, fiancé did hers about 2 weeks ago at tax collectors. Mine is almost due for renewal.

Sorry for the derail OP.

The main thing that you need to focus on is having a handgun that you are proficient with, And a holster that is extremely comfortable. If you do not like the gun or it is uncomfortable to wear, you will not wear it. Simple as that. Also a quality belt is worth its weight in gold.

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have heard good things about the uncle mike. I have the same dressing behavior as you. Shirt and tie during the week for work then shorts and t shirts. Is your uncle mike a waistband or ankle holster?

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I like the 42 I also have a 26 just seems like it would be bulky and awkward to carry a double stack pistol. Main issue for me is how do people waistband carry with shirt and tie. Seems it would be easy to do with an untucked shirt. Think I may look into ankle holsters for work then get a waistband for personal time.

Do you guys normally carry an extra mag?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Crossbreed makes on inside the waistband holster with tuckable clips, specifically designed for tucking in a dress shirt

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The Uncle Mike is a waistband. Only thing I don't like is the plastic clip so I found another holster (generic, no name brand) just like it, but with a metal clip. I also found another one just like it made of suede with a leather clip, but the suede soaks up sweat like a sponge and gets wet. Only time I ankle carry is in church.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I love my G43 but for you guys that carry a 19 - don't you find it heavy when fully loaded ? I've got a G19 but never carry it unless it's on a trip in the car.
    I can't imagine a scenario where I would need that many shots.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I love my G43 but for you guys that carry a 19 - don't you find it heavy when fully loaded ? I've got a G19 but never carry it unless it's on a trip in the car.
    I can't imagine a scenario where I would need that many shots.
    Not really. Carry a 1911 for a few days and that 19 seems light as a feather!

Typically I carry my 26 with the pierce +3 extension, plus one in the chamber. So 14 rounds.

I'm 5'8", 160lbs, carry at the 3-4oclock position IWB

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Couple of people I talked to carry with a belly band inside the shirt or in an Urban Carry Total Concealment holster while in their shirt and tie. Interesting to hear about the time periods for the permit. I did mine at the Ft. Walton office and walked out with it the same day. I'm up for renewal soon myself.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I used to be comfortable with less rounds but studying some of the active shooter incidents, watching videos of the muslim attackers going at the police in Europe and several videos of people being attacked by multiple assailants changed my mind. Even when carrying my XD-M or my P12 I have two extra mags and my backup. Rarely do I "carry light" nowadays.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I typically carry my Glock 26 like John B...+3 extension and one in the chamber. I have used a Galco King Tuck for a few years and have been pretty happy with it, however I very rarely tuck my shirt in. I can typically carry in shorts and a tshirt without an issue.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shirt and tie, no jacket: Get a kydex trigger cover and pocket carry. Use with a thin plastic pocket liner to prevent "printing". Turn trousers inside out and trace pocket for rough sizing then trim as needed. Two ways to unsheath trigger guard:

A. Anchor with a short lanyard to botton of pocket or plastc liner (if sized correctly it will stay in pocket. Trigger guard cover may need to be heated (hair dryer) and slightly spread so it releases correctly. This will allow one hand draw.

B. Replace lanyard with a standard key ring that is big enough for you to grab. Draw then pull ring. Requires two hands but you could pull it with your teeth if needed. I can push off the trigger guard cover with my index finger or thumb but it is a fine motor skill. Finger pressure
    needed to slide the cover off will vary with the covers tension which you can adjust.

C. Both methods will require tension/release testing and practice for proficiency.

There are also holsters that slide deep below the belt line and have a phone case on top that goes over the belt line. Support hand grab/lift phone case until gun grip is exposed the draw. I never used one, not a fan.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Now you need to get a good ccw class, that has a lot of different holster's that you can try, learn the different ways to carry, and can try doing a live firing exercise's to see what works best for you with out spending the money, Sounds like you had a gun show class, If want to survive don't carry on the ankle. Just my 50 cents jj

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now you need to get a good ccw class, that has a lot of different holster's that you can try, learn the different ways to carry, and can try doing a live firing exercise's to see what works best for you with out spending the money, Sounds like you had a gun show class, If want to survive don't carry on the ankle. Just my 50 cents jj

Class I had was from Capt. Ron out in east Milton off Jeff ates road. I believe it was called black water tactical. Seems like a nice enough guy. We did a fair amount of shooting and seemed pretty knowledgeable as to the laws around carrying. Did not discuss holders very much.

Do you have a class with holsters. Don't really need to practice shooting. Can do plenty of that at the house. Once I decide which way/holster I want to carry with. Maybe practice a few draws

So do you guys just wear a size larger pair of pants in order to carry in your waistband?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys

Top Bottom