• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know there have been previous discussions about "the best bolt action" and in specific price ranges. I have done tons of research on all different types of bolt rifles and currently hunt with either a Ruger M77 Mark2 in .280 or a Handi Rifle in .270 (which is for sale by the way). The Handi rifle is a great compact size, but obviously only single shot. I've killed a ton of deer with the Ruger and have had no issues with it other than the bright shiny stainless barrel and its over all length. It's great for hunting from a shooting house, but in a tree stand or ground blind, it's just too cumbersome. I'm really wanting to buy a compact bolt action and I've read all the reviews and comments from people that love them to people that say that a bolt action can't be accurate enough from a short rifle to they kick too much for a follow up shot (for shooting a second deer...not for missing), not to mention the muzzle blast. Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the compact bolt rifles? I've been looking at the Remington Model 7, Weatherby Vanguard Carbine, Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact, Browning X-bolt Micro Hunter, Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact. I don't have my heart set on any, and I'm sure there are other I should look at. I'm not going to ever shoot anything over 300 yards. 200 yards is probably realistically the most I'd ever shoot. The majority of my hunting will be within 150 yards. I don't need sniper rifle accuracy, just practical whitetail deer accuracy. I appreciate everyone's opinions, but I'd love to hear about some first hand experiences good or bad with any compact bolt action rifles. I need to find one before my trip to Texas in December. Thanks...Love the Forum!

Forgot to mention...I'm going to stick with .308 regardless of what rifle it is. Already setup to reload for my dad's Remington 660.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a gunsite scout, remington model 7 and a Hawkeye all in 308 and they are all awesome...so you are on the right track. i generally hunt in a tree stand or a popup blind, the short barrels make these guns very handy to pull up in tight places and give you all the accuracy you need.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check some Steyrs.....I have a 7-08 SBS mountain rifle and it's compact and shoots like a dream. I just bought a Steyr 300 SBS but not in a mountain rifle and it has a barrel like a goose gun! Brand new Steyrs are 8-1K but you can pick up a used 1 if you look fer 5-7 bills! If you wanna try shooting 1 let me know....I'm waiting fer some high scope mounts fer my 300 and am replacing the scope on my 7-08 so will be shooting both soon!

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Ruger Gun Sight Scout that i love. U already have a ruger so just keep it the same? But i would love a Mossburg MVP in the now 308 that takes AR10 mags!!!

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the great comments. I even had a PM with some great advice. I was able to handle a Ruger M77 Haweye with a laminate stock and the matte stainless barrel. I love the gun, but I'm concerned it's too small. I've handled a Remington model 7 in the past and it felt comfortable. I'm also concerned with the compact hawkeye that I won't be able to get a normal scope far enough forward to keep it off my face. I'm not pretty, but I don't need to get uglier with a busted face. As much as I like the Ruger, I'm afraid that with a 12.5" length of pull and a 16.5" barrel it is too small. The comments are definitely helping me work through what is going to work best for me. Thanks.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was able to put my hands on a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in 308 last night. It's not quite as compact as I liked, but man that is a nice gun. I've never owned a model 70 before, and that is one sweet action. I think I've just about talked myself into it. Thanks for all the advise. I'll update with whatever I end up with.

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a gunsite scout, remington model 7 and a Hawkeye all in 308 and they are all awesome...so you are on the right track. i generally hunt in a tree stand or a popup blind, the short barrels make these guns very handy to pull up in tight places and give you all the accuracy you need.

How do you like the gun site scout? I fondled one the other day and liked it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really like my Gunsite Scout. I went with conventional optics rather than a scout scope.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Long eye relief scope is good once you get use to it :spy:

They are correct about them short barrel weapons in tight places, getting one in Wednesday to see if they are correct? :madgrin: :madgrin:

AUtiger01

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remington Model 7. Most of the guys I hunt with use this rifle due to its compact size and ease of climbing a tree. I have one in 7mm08. As for accuracy, I shot a coon at 275 yards last season from a shooting house. Plenty good enough for a deer.

Top Bottom