• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    looking for suggestions. id rather buy once cry once because id like it to last 20 plus years but if a cheaper one will suffice im not opposed to saving money.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What is your intended use? Will it be rifle only? Pistol and rifle?
    Will you only use this at a range from a bench? Will you have the space to set one up downrange?

The MagnetoSpeed ones are great for rifles (My dad used one of those) but it doesn't work well for pistols. :)

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is your intended use? Will it be rifle only? Pistol and rifle?
    Will you only use this at a range from a bench? Will you have the space to set one up downrange?

The MagnetoSpeed ones are great for rifles (My dad used one of those) but it doesn't work well for pistols. :)
    rifle and pistol. Probably would have to be near the bench.

I have seen those but saw some people saying it can effect harmonics. I was also under the impression that the rifle would need a rail but I didn't look at it too hard.

I was thinking about getting a Caldwell as a first time to see if I use it frequently or if I decide to wing it in the dark with educated guessing like I do now lol

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've had a Caldwell and a cheap one from Amazon, both budget options. The Caldwell read better than the Chinese knockoff, at least it was less prone to errors. I had the Caldwell for 8 years or so before I put a 175gr .308 round through it. The Amazon one I had for a few months before it took a 124gr gold dot 9mm bullet.
    Friend has a LabRadar and it's amazing, but they're pricy, and I can't justify spending that kind of cheddar for my uses.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have a 3 screen Ohler but use the LabRadar at my buddy's more. The LabRadar sure is nice!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My $0.02 having owned a few over the past 40 years is, unless you are shooting F-F/TR Chrno's are good for one thing, " bragging about how fast your load is going".

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    or how slow it is going... It is a big help in figuring drops.. or making sure you are sub...or not approching max well before the slight signs show elsewhere. Reading the box for the speed they got in there equipment isn't always the best approach. You can be more accurate than depending on the box that says it is running 2600...when you know it is running 2560 in your equipment in those conditions.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I used mine for load development. I know that if I find a load that groups well at 100, I can do minor tweaks to it using chrono data to determine what gives me the lowest deviation in velocities, meaning how that load is going to act at much longer ranges. I don't shoot competitively, and haven't for a very long time, but it's good to know your velocities, and you can use that to calculate how much drop you're going to have at different ranges, and also if your projectile is going to still be at expansion threshold at a given range.

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a PACT for years and was totally happy with it but lost it in a fire when our hunting camp burned down. I currently have a cheap Caldwell because the PACT is out of stock everywhere. I chronograph shotshells also and I prefer to only risk the screens and transducers rather than the whole unit. If I had the money, I'd go with an Ohler.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have had a Chrony for 10 years and except for a friend shooting it once have been very happy with it. +1 on the Lab radar . Was at the range last week setting my Chrony when a guy shows up with the Lab radar. More accurate and 10 times easier to set up. And only 6 X what most others cost.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven’t seen anything more accurate than the magneto at that price point. But it works best with long guns and affects point of impact. I had a few frustrating range trips with the beta chrony and all I got was data within 10% of accuracy. I like the versatility of the Labradar.

Top Bottom