• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavecity821

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there anyone besides TGD that does cerakote between pensacola and crestview?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There's several people, but none of them are licensed FFL holders, so to me personally, I'm not going to risk my gun getting taken and involved in investigation when the ATF bust these idiots for altering a firearm for-profit without a license.

DFSgunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    MADD customs is about 20-30mins east of crestview in Defuniak Springs, he's a great guy who does a great job and he's a FFL.

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need an FFL to Cerakote? That seems crazy just to "paint" a gun. Learn something new every day.

Nothing at all wrong with painting Your gun as long as you don't alter the serial number in any way. I think the only issue is when you start painting other people's guns for profit without an FFL. But it would be hard to prove you made a profit with the cost in materials and supplies. And then again, I've never even heard of anybody ever having an issue with it, and in general, I really don't have a clue. I'm just speculating.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't get me wrong there's plenty of loopholes to do it legally. But when people start advertising it that they had it done by "so-and-so customs" at a "great price" the ATF is eventually going to start sniffing around... there is also an issue with the altering of a firearm and keeping it in one position for more than 24 hours, but I believe that also has to do with the alteration for profit...

I'm no lawyer so take this for what it's worth, but if I'm going to spend the money to have my firearm altered it's going to be done by a licensed professional.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another thought that I would have re. weapons being cerakoted. Will it void any written or implied warranties ??

And --> I would never have a gun that I bet my life on cerakoted. --- SAWMAN

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I would like to try to cerakote a slide. I know to do it yourself is not really cost effective but think it would be cool to try it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would like to try to cerakote a slide. I know to do it yourself is not really cost effective but think it would be cool to try it.

I've done Duracoat myself. It was pretty easy and turned out nice. Probably not quite as durable as Cerakote, but it works well enough.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought about going to some thrift stores to see if I can find an old pizza oven type thing.

Easy and cheap way is to buy a sheet of Silverboard (foil covered rigid foam insulation) from HD, Lowes or such, make a box using foil tape to hold the pieces together and use a heat gun shoved in a hole in the side as the heat source. You can even use a hair drier depending on what peak temperature you need. Use a thermometer to check temperature and between setting on the heat gun and holes cut in the sides of the box you can regulate temperature to within a couple of degrees no problem. I used to do this all the time to post-cure epoxies.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's several people, but none of them are licensed FFL holders, so to me personally, I'm not going to risk my gun getting taken and involved in investigation when the ATF bust these idiots for altering a firearm for-profit without a license.

I thought we lived in a free country. The government acts like the people are converting guns to full automatic when all they are doing is painting them. We have a lot bigger problems in this county (like 19 trillion debt) than to be worried about the average law abiding citizen painting guns in his garage.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Don't worry we can print more cash.
    But the avg law abiding citizen painting guns in his garage has a 95% chance of being a conservative voter that's not sitting in his garage waiting on the next govt check to land in his mailbox. The 2nd Amendment is right up there with klimate change to the loons on the left.

Top Bottom