• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In the USN some of the most respected rates were the people that pay you,people that keep your personal records streight,and the hospital corpsmen. These are the people that take care of the rest. To this day,I still call every Navy Corpsman "Doc" even if he or she is a E-2.
    Join the military,get as much training as you can in the first four years. If you like the life,stick with it. If you choose to get out,you will leave with all the benefits of being a veteran . . . . . and a ton of pride of having served your/our country. --- SAWMAN

To follow up w Sawman's post My wife's son after doing poorly in college went into the Navy and became an enlisted Corpsman, after a couple years they paid for him to get a 4 year degree and he applied and entered and passed Officer Candidate School. Later on and an Officer the Navy paid for him to get his Masters all the while in the Service. Today he is a Commander in the Navy 21 years later and hoping for 1 more rank vested before he retires. His field Is Hospital Administration and he is in charge of a Navy Hospital now. Apply yourself and become what you want to be, The Service and Life are what you make it. Best of luck to you!

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots of different IT specialties but if you like working with your mind and hands communications might suit you. Communications is a broad category as well includes: data, voice and video and requires on the hands side designing and building out cable plants, WiFi networks with routers and repeaters. Identification and resolution of communications problems requires a highly analytical mind and the ability to look past them symptoms and identify root cause.

Cyber Security is the hottest area in IT now with DoD leading the way for obvious reasons.

Getting the right certifications in either specialty area will open doors to jobs in high demand that pay well. If you were to join the military and wanted and qualified for cyber security - training would be here in Pensacola at Cory Station where the Center for Information Dominance is located. On the other hand UWF and PSC have degree and certification programs that will prepare you as well.

Just some more food to chew on.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My best advice is to make a list of your hobbies, and find something you really enjoy doing that relates. Theres nothing worse than being stuck in a job you don't like, but stay in it for the money. You're trapped.
    Don't chase money or hold out for big pay initially. It will come to you as you master your selected field. Always be looking to further your carreer and advance.
    Work like you love it, don't complain, and follow instructions. Always be the first to arrive and the last to leave. Always do the job right and always do the right thing, don't cut corners, and do your work like you own the company and it's your money. Your boss will appreciate it and you will reap benefits in advancement and pay.
    Most importantly, make sure it is something you love to do before you spend money and time taking or doing something you don't like because it pays well.
    You are very young and have a lot of time to advance.
    Hunting, shooting, camping, anything outdoors, military (great option), game warden, police, medical, etc, and look at the professionals and industries involved in leading or supporting those fields where your interest is. The military covers almost every civilian career, the training is free, good, and the benefits are excellent. Regardless of your level of maturity, you will grow substantially in the military. There are not many opportunities more honorable.
    And the last thing is pay yourself first. Start a savings plan where you contribute every month to it. It will be one of the most important thing you will ever do for yourself. Dont say you can't afford it! Even if its $5 dollars per week, but it should be at least 5-10% of what you make.
    Best of luck to you!

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Join the military (AF )and enjoy the free college for the first 4years if you like it and still want law enforcement you can try and be a special agent and join OSI. They are always accepting applicants. Or you could get out and use your free college to go to school for whatever you actually want to do. Pending you fig that out. I still haven't....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    + military. I love the GI Bill program.

If you join, make sure you end up with a "decent" occupational specialties. You can never go wrong with military intel, or IT jobs. You get to knock out some free classes while you are in too with the Tuition Assistance Program.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ☝️ yep $4500 per year paid for + you can apply for Pell grants and get some extra cash as well. Been using my TA and 12 classes away from my BA. Intel, IT, contracting heard all those get paid well on the outside and easy to find a job.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate all the advice. I have a lot to think about, i will be talking to a air force recruiter within the next couple weeks. The military has been looking like the best option so few from everyone I've talked to.

When it comes to law enforcement, ive been thinking more heavily on fwc. I've already talked to the fwc recruiter and passed the cjbat if I decide to go that route.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have any questions in the jobs available to you in the AF post them up. If I don't know about them I'm sure someone else here will. The recruiter and job description can be kinda vague.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was that Tele. training at West Florida? Are you wanting to stay local to Pensacola? Plenty of opportunities in this area and some great companies to work for. If you want a mix of outside/office work I'd look into electrical or civil engineering.
    If you want to work on powerlines in all kinds of weather conditions, I know a guy...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes it was at wfhs. I'm not opposed to staying local but moving wouldn't be an issue. I have a few leads that could get me a job in that field if that's what I decide, but I don't see that as a career I'd enjoy.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have any questions in the jobs available to you in the AF post them up. If I don't know about them I'm sure someone else here will. The recruiter and job description can be kinda vague.

I appreciate it, I'll do a little more research and see what all jobs interest me. I've heard the recruiter down here isn't very helpful... so probably will have some questions. my cousin is an officer and was a recruiter so I'll be talking to him as well. He won't be blowing a bunch of smoke up my ass like the navy recruiter was trying to do

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    a fully qualified welder will make some jack.....and its fun to see metal melt too, somehow very satisfying to hit the oxygen on a torch when the steel is red and see it flow like hot wax....

jmho, sometimes a desk job is not as fulfilling as working with your hands

and you will be able to find work anywhere, any state...

Last edited:

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update

Went to talk to the air force recruiter today. Wasn't much help at all. Basically tild me he doesnt have any say or insight into possible air force jobs and its after meps its a gamble on what job is available.Will be talking to my cousin up at meps and go from there. Will be talking to other branches that are hopefully more helpful

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm you should be able to do the asvab and see what available jobs are out there at the moment. Get the one you want guaranteed and on paper.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm you should be able to do the asvab and see what available jobs are out there at the moment. Get the one you want guaranteed and on paper.

That's what I was thinking when i went in but he said all that is done after meps. You get a list of jobs you qualify for, pick 7 than wait for an opening. If one of those jobs haven't opened up you get kicked out.

I was informed all he is, is a paper pusher. I don't expect the recruiter to know everything but a recruiter should be a little more informational than a paper pusher.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I wouldn't believe that. There's a reason why they go to school which I've heard isn't easy either. Granted I did join 10yrs ago

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Sounds like bs too me, I'm guessing either he has no problems filling his quota and just throws open contracts, or maybe because you had no idea what you actually wanted. I'm telling you right now, he know what's available right now, and has access too your asvab and knows what you qual for. If he claims he doesn't, he's probably too lazy too look it up. Try the recruiter in mobile and see what he says. It would help if you at least have a field in mind though,

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are considering the military you're on the right path by choosing a job that translates to the outside. When I first joined the CG I wanted to do something that really didn't translate to anything on the outside and ended up going IT. The CG has paid for my education, cisco certs, microsoft certs, etc. and I haven't even touched my GI bill yet.

As far as recruiters... it's like going to buy a car. If you haven't done the research on your end before showing up it can have a possibility to not end well.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like others said, ASVAB will tell em everything they need to know about what you qualify for. Don't know about the the others but a GT score of 110 opens up every Army job for you.
    MEPs is where the magic happens though not really the recruiting office. Their biggest goal is to get you to meps. Once there, meps biggest goal is to get you physically passed and locked into a contract. Make sure what you want job and duty station wise in in writing or good luck on rolling the dice.
    The war had just started when I signed up. I told guy at meps, I want Infantry and send me to whoever is going next. He actually told me there were no Infantry vacancies (lies), so I said ok you have my number give me a call when there is and I'll sign. They wanted me to be a helo mechanic or something I didn't want. Anyway a couple of hours later that same day I walked out with a 3yr Infantry contract with no guaranteed duty station and was a PVT in the mountains of Afghanistan in no time. Yay

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a few jobs I was looking at and that's what I went in to talk to them about. Told him I had taken the Asvab but wasn't sure if it was over 2 years ago. He didn't bother looking anything up and told me he can't tell me much about jobs as that was all done at meps. Told me they can't guarantee any job. I told him my overall score and he said I would qualify for any job as long as I passed physical requirements. I asked about taking the Asvab again if mine was out of date and told no, come back when I'm for sure joining and than it will all get set up. This damn sure is making me think about another route, all the others recruiters have actually tried to recruit rather than push away possible applicants. I'll be talking to other recruiters and making sure I get in writing what job I'm getting before I sign anything if I go the military route.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wanted to join the Navy right out of high school and the recruiter lied to me said he couldn't guarantee a school when I checked into it and found out he lied that was the end of the Navy for me

Top Bottom