• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I am closing on a house at the end of this month and from the inspections there are only three things wrong, duct work patch, wire going to the circuit breaker that is not rated for a 20 amp circuit breaker, the minor wood rot on the out side of a door.... Other than that everything is golden and that stuff should be fixed before I close. This my first house I am buying. Is there anything y'all reccomend for a new home owner? What should be done to the house after closing and prior to moving in? Or anything y'all know that would help.... Sorry first house I am buying and being 23 I haven't had the oppurtunity to rent houses yet. I have lived in apartments.. I am all ears to all advice and willing answer all questions.

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You will need an irs tax transcript in order to close. Make sure you have that paper or signed a release to allow your title company or realtor to get it included in the packet. I have seen hundreds of people rushing to get them at the last minute for closing

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    After closing and all repairs are done. Just before you move in. I would set off a couple bug bombs in different rooms and the attic. Then let it air out a day or so

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you want to paint or replace any of the flooring do it before you move in. Do you want to paint the garage floor, best to do it also before you move in. Think about stuff you want to improve that would much harder to do once furniture and things are in the way!

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Expect to spend about 25% of the purchase price on all the assorted crap.....

And congrats on the new home!

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Expect to spend about 25% of the purchase price on all the assorted crap.....

And congrats on the new home!

This. Immediately start an emergency fund. Even if it's a dollar a week. You WILL get unexpected costs at some point. Blown AC, plumbing disasters, roof leaks, the list is endless. Also, once you settle in remind yourself to shop insurances occasionally.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I know the first year I have a home warrenty on the house but I will deffinetly be starting an emergency fund.

Transcript has been taken care of
    Locks..
    Shop for insurance periodically
    bug bombs
    and save for emergency repairs...

Anything else from the wise? What would y'all recommend the yearly maintence to be? Like HVAC, heating?
    I have a lot of questions and making sure I am squared away and possibly prevent something that could cost major down the road.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stay single.

Jk. I bought my first house at 21. First wife still lives in it.

HAHAHAHAHA Don't worry about that she left me a month ago and is married to another man.. Yes I said married.... I feel sorry for him...:loco: Well he did do me a favor so all is good. Just glad I got the dogs! :cheer2::nod:

Last edited:

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A good mitigation item for the first year, if it's not included in the contract, is a home warranty. Roughly $350-500 annually, but will cover the major things that can cost a small fortune if they blow up after closing. I've used First American or Old Republic, but there are tons out here.

A good termite protection plan is sound insurance around here. Typically $1,000 for first full treatment and inspection and then a small (relative) nominal fee annually ($200-500). However, most will cover termite damage in the event you do have an infestation whereas insurance will not.

If you haven't already looked into it and are buying and old(er) home, Rebuild NW Florida has a great program to bring an older house up to more current hurricane standards. They replace items like garage doors, front doors, exterior coverings, clips from wall to joists, etc. You pay app fee and 25% of total costs for the entire project. Expect the whole process to take 6-9 months from start to finish though.

Get to know your neighbors and I mean VERY well. Bake them cookies, offer to mow their lawn, whatever. I can't tell you how vital it is to know what is going on around the area when you are at work, on vacation, etc. Plus, it's a great way to form a bond to help look out for one another for health needs, emergencies like storms, and on and on. In this day and age, it's great assurance to know someone well enough to know if you can rely on them in a time of need.

Take the advice on repairs. They will come and be sure to set aside the money, as suggested, for other smaller items.

Congrats on the new house!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A good mitigation item for the first year, if it's not included in the contract, is a home warranty. Roughly $350-500 annually, but will cover the major things that can cost a small fortune if they blow up after closing. I've used First American or Old Republic, but there are tons out here.

A good termite protection plan is sound insurance around here. Typically $1,000 for first full treatment and inspection and then a small (relative) nominal fee annually ($200-500). However, most will cover termite damage in the event you do have an infestation whereas insurance will not.

If you haven't already looked into it and are buying and old(er) home, Rebuild NW Florida has a great program to bring an older house up to more current hurricane standards. They replace items like garage doors, front doors, exterior coverings, clips from wall to joists, etc. You pay app fee and 25% of total costs for the entire project. Expect the whole process to take 6-9 months from start to finish though.

Get to know your neighbors and I mean VERY well. Bake them cookies, offer to mow their lawn, whatever. I can't tell you how vital it is to know what is going on around the area when you are at work, on vacation, etc. Plus, it's a great way to form a bond to help look out for one another for health needs, emergencies like storms, and on and on. In this day and age, it's great assurance to know someone well enough to know if you can rely on them in a time of need.

Take the advice on repairs. They will come and be sure to set aside the money, as suggested, for other smaller items.

Congrats on the new house!

I do have a home warrenty from American Home Shield in the Contract and after the year is over I will deffinetly continue the home warrenty especially with what they cover. Seems like a great piece of mind if something goes out.. I. Thank you for the termite advice I will have to look into that, deffinetly something I overlooked. Now for the neighbors I have already got to know a few and from what I can tell they are all great! I was over there with my parents so they could see the house and they just strolled on up and started talking to us. Seems like a great neighborhood.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Send me a PM on the home location and I'll figure up a good deal for a termite contract for you... I'll hook you up.

Same goes for anyone else.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A bit late for you, but I always park on the street 9pm to 3am on a Sat night to see what activity and noise level exist. Same areas and neighbors don't show true during the day.

If you have a septic tank you dont know how it was maintained. Put a full large box (= to 2-4 treatments) each day for 3 days to build up guud bugs. Make sure its the last flush or two for the day so it can settle io the bottom. You may want to divert your washing machine drain hose to water lawn or garden. This keep all that soap and dirt out of the septic tank which kills good bugs. When running the new connection: make sure the hose still rises a few inches above the washer tub hight. If you dont do this the washer may just let the water flow out and not fill properly (mine drained and would not fill to large load level).

Clean gutters and make sure all roof/eves vents/fans have screen. Cut back tree limbs to help keep critters away. If you have access to a metal detector: sweep yard for nails and such that could poke you or kids.

Buy a Weather Alert radio.

Put double key sided dead bolts on outside doors AND door to your safe room (leave key in interior side, remove when you are threatened. Put dowels/PVC in tracks of window and door sliders In addition to slide bolts.

Put locks on outside power boxes, dont forget the box for HVAC Unit. Motion lights, alarm sys.

The Street light at the power pole may not be on. Mine is a option on my power bill, adds $8 on billing cycle wotrh every penny.

Change all filters, smoke detector batteries. Have a good flashlight in the house on day one. Clean dryer vent hose before you hook up and make sure the outside trap door seals flush. You can also put a cage over the outside of it to fruther deter mice/rats.

There is a paint primer called KILZ. Use it for old paint colors and waterspots that will be hard to cover.

When you get time, you mat want to make detachable hurricane shutters. They have stud kits for this project. Better to make them on your time line not the storms.

This should keep you busy for a day or two. Lol

Best Wishes and Congratulations on your new Home.
    WR

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    not home related, but get to know neighbors asap, names, ph#'s ,maybe throw a fishfry when you get settled, to get to know all in the hood...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I like to buy a home warranty for the first year or 2 just in case. Pest control contract or you can do it yourself. Do everything you can or want to improve before you move in. Meet your neighbors. Good Luck and stay single or get a prenup for the house.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I am closing on a house at the end of this month and from the inspections there are only three things wrong, duct work patch, wire going to the circuit breaker that is not rated for a 20 amp circuit breaker, the minor wood rot on the out side of a door.... Other than that everything is golden and that stuff should be fixed before I close. This my first house I am buying. Is there anything y'all reccomend for a new home owner? What should be done to the house after closing and prior to moving in? Or anything y'all know that would help.... Sorry first house I am buying and being 23 I haven't had the oppurtunity to rent houses yet. I have lived in apartments.. I am all ears to all advice and willing answer all questions.

Don't get screw like I did get a pro to look over the house from top to bottom inside and out. Ask for a history of house make sure everything looked over. Cause I'm buying a house and I don't really like it cause the old lady I'm buying from let crackhead off the street work on it. Had to get squirrels out the attic. Done Had to kill a snake and house foundation is uneven. If I had the money I'll push it over and start over.

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make SURE your contract included details which you may not consider necessary to put in writing, but which may cause heartburn, especially those things the previous owner may take but which you expect to remain. For example, if the house has drapes and/or blinds, will they stay or go. How about outside plants in big pots? Appliances? Extra A/C filters?

In one famous instance, a California home owner who was unhappy with having to accept a price lower than he considered fair, actually rented a sod cutter. He rolled up and removed the entire lawn because it wasn't mentioned in the contract. That's unlikely, but you get the idea. A good realtor will take care of you, but not every realtor is a good realtor.

Make yourself a detailed checklist and read it at closing. Did they turn over both garage openers?

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me the biggest thing is how old the house is. I bought my house brand new and in my experience from brand new everything starts going to shit at around the 15 to 20 year mark. Central heat and air goes, the roof needs replacing, decks if it has them need replacing, various appliances start crapping out, septic tank drain field gets saturated, submersible well pump goes out, etc. etc.. So if the house is around that age or older make sure all that stuff has been replaced fairly recently or for sure it will need to be replaced soon.

Top Bottom