• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Short story guys I am not much of a rifle guy and am not very knowledgeable about them, I have inherited a MSAR STG-556/CAL223 from a relative, The problem I have is I shoot left handed so today I go to a local gun shop and let the guys look at it and advise me how I could change it over to left handed, the guys were very nice to give me free advice but advised me that I would have to install a left handed bolt in the gun to convert it, he told me the part would run around 1,100.00 bucks. I would really like to shoot it some but at that cost I will just leave it to the boys for sentimental reason. Does anyone have any idea where i may be able to locate a bolt that is not so expensive. It may not be possible and if not, no biggie, just looks like it would be fun to shoot. Thanks for any advice you guys may have on this gun. I think it is the Gen2 model from what I can tell, it does take a special MSAR mag. Thanks

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Found this and they are running $1800, is that right? Nice snag!

Ejection port cover is reversible making it perfect for left handed shooters. By locking back the bolt, and then holding the vertical grip and twisting clockwise *While Depressing The Button Found Right Below The Bolt Handle* You are allowed to remove the barrel for storage, or replacing it with an aftermarket one.

goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don, you seem to be up on this subject, I also got a H&K 91 from my Uncle, it shoots 308, it only had 1 magazine with it and I was interested in buying a few more , where would be the best place to purchase them and are they gun specific like the MSAR.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you, I dont think the gun is worth that much. WOW

They are actually really nice guns and worth a fair amount. Used they usually sell for $1200-1500ish, new $1800+ depending on the model. Like Frank said the ejection port cover is reversible so all you need is a left handed bolt and you're in business. I'm a lefty too, but went with an FS2000 for a bullpup until I sold it.

goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I see that cover but the guys talked about it and said it had to have a left handed bolt also, so I am a little confused.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I see that cover but the guys talked about it and said it had to have a left handed bolt also, so I am a little confused.

Yes, you need the bolt because of the way the extractor and ejector are oriented.

goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I also got a German built H&K 91 from my Uncle it is a German built 1981 gun from what I can see, I think that matters, not a lot of internet info that i found on the internet on this gun. It only had 1 magazine with it, do I have to purchase a H&K magazine or will others work with this gun.

Last edited:

goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ratworx makes the bolt you need and it's $125. I'd buy two and take one to whoever told you $1100.00 and stick it up their ass.

https://www.ratworxusa.com/?q=node/248
    You can also order it from MSAR for $125

http://www.msarinc.com/parts.html
    Don, I spoke to Ratwox today, very nice guy, explained my issue, he told me the lefty bolt was backordered but will have pretty soon, took my number and name and will call as soon as they come in, as you said $125.00. Maybe the guy at the gun shop was confused , the one salesman and the guy that gave me the price were not on the same page when discussing this issue, one thought one way the other another, was a bit confusing, so I will just leave that alone , don't want to talk bad about the guy or business.The guy at Ratworx also sold me a piece to go on my rifle for the time being that will shoot the casing away from my face.Thanks again.

Top Bottom