• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I decided my rifle needed a good and thorough cleaning and de-coppering. I am always amazed at how long it takes me to clean a barrel. While looking for my copper removal bottle, I found a tube of bore polish and cleaning compound, so after the de-coppering process, I decided to try the bore polish. I still cannot believe how dirty and nasty the patches came out after all the other cleaning. Even after running more polish and patches, I was still getting dirty patches. I basically ran out of time and had to stop. Is it possible to overuse bore polish? Does anyone use bore polish as part of their normal cleaning routine? Thanks,

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I polish mine with boolets (and bronze brushes, when called for), and most are mirror-finish : )

Actually, I'll usually run a patch wet with Hoppe's #9 through even if I've only fired a few rounds, leave the solvent in until next use, then run one dry patch prior to shooting (I'm using the cotton Allens from Walmart now, and they are nice!). Running just one dry patch must leave the thinnest film of Hoppe's behind, and that's my polish: rounds pushing through what is a trace of primarily kerosene(?), which is a lubricant as well : )

Of course, if the bore already has problems, that's another story. I finally got a set of hones for 12 ga. (all fine/800 grit w/Marvel Mystery Oil used as honing oil) and boy does it put a brand-new bore to shame when you're done... not mirror-finish, though.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    . @34:30 talks about abrasives. Just HOPPES #9 and a nylon brush IAW M40A1 cleaning procedures. Barrel will leach for 3 days after discharging, so the process takes 3 days to complete. YMMV.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom