• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Had a buddy come shoot yesterday. In addition to some Winchester .38 ammo he brought along some Blazer .38 Aluminum cased ammo. Now I have always heard not to buy this crap, and never have. But I got to see first hand just what kind of crap it was. When I looked at it I could not see and kind of crimp on it. Sure enough, after shooting 3 rounds out of 5 in a Ruger LCR the gun jammed. The last two bullets had jumped from the cases and were preventing the cylinder from rotating. I pushed the bullets in by hand and removed them from the gun. He tried another 5 rounds and after the first round it jammed again because one bullet had jumped by approximately 3/16 of an inch. At that point I told him not to try anymore and take it back to Dick's for a refund.

So the point of this post is that the internet rumors are true. Blazer aluminum ammo is sh*t. Do not buy it.

Idoono

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aluminum cased ammo is fine, just running it in a .38 that light it was bound to happen, in a large frame .38 you probably wouldnt have that problem. Its always worked fine in my 9mm and .40 cals. Thats why they call it practice ammo.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Huh.
    I know to avoid aluminum in semi autos, and I knew you run the risk of jumping cases with hot ammo in aluminum/titanium/stiff frames.
    I've put a lot of aluminum cci/blazer through the 64,60 and cobra, never had a problem, though I perfer 130 fmj for practice due to easy cleaning.

Sorry you guys got a crap batch; let is know if dicks will do a refund.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess I've been lucky. Since the mid 80s I've ran it in revolvers and pistols in .38, .357, 9mm, 41mag, .44spl, 44mag, and .45acp and the only issue I've ever had was one squib in .45acp while shooting it in my 325PD.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the same issue with a Remington brass cased 45 Long Colt cowboy action round. Locked up my Ruger Vaquero solid but I just pushed it back together and carefully fired it. Seems like alot more ammo defects are showing up in the last few years.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Supply can't meet demand.

I shudder to think what quality a current manufactured box of 22 is at.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have run right around 1000 rounds of Blazer aluminum case .45 ACP through an STI 1911 without a hiccup. I even reloaded 50 just because someone said don't do it. They worked just fine too.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats funny I did the same thing with aluminum .40 loaded over max with no issue. Same with steel case too.

I have run right around 1000 rounds of Blazer aluminum case .45 ACP through an STI 1911 without a hiccup. I even reloaded 50 just because someone said don't do it. They worked just fine too.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never ran blazer ammo, but I've ran federal aluminum cased ammo and never had any issues through a semi auto platform. It's cheap also. $9/50 of 115gr FMJ 9mm.

Doc

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shot multi thousands of rounds of 9mm through my Glocks and I think I can recall maybe 1 hiccup. Leave it on the shelves I will buy it.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I used to shoot a lot of Blazer aluminum and never had a problem. I've not had a problem with the Federal either. If you don't reload, aluminum is the way to go.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot it all aluminum, steel, brass whatever. Never have any hiccups. Now I just put away the brass and just shoot steel and aluminum. Practice more for the money!

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think it is that Ruger revolver. Just give it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

Sorry, can't give it to you. It belongs to my buddy and he probably would get mad if I gave away his new gun. He has however learned a valuable lesson....just buy brass ammo so I can get the brass and reload it for myself.

Idoono

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bonus: Some Blazer aluminum case ammo has boxer primer pockets. Been reloading it for years. Cases split at the neck after 2-4 reloads.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah I think he got a bad batch because I could push the bullets back in with very little to no effort. I could see no crimp of any kind on the rounds.

Idoono

Top Bottom