• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bill Would Limit Backyard Shooting

November 20, 2015

A Senate committee Thursday unanimously approved a proposal aimed at preventing people from shooting guns at backyard ranges in residential areas.

The vote by the Senate Fiscal Policy Committee readied the bill (SB 130) to go to the Senate floor during the 2016 session, which starts in January.

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Garrett Richter, R-Naples, would make it a first-degree misdemeanor for people to intentionally shoot guns in outdoor areas that are “primarily residential in nature” and include one or more residences per acre.

Ponce Inlet Police Chief Frank Fabrizio, who represented the Florida Police Chiefs Association at the committee meeting, said the bill addresses situations such as people using wooden palettes and dirt to fashion backyard gun ranges.

“This legislation clarifies the law without compromising the Second Amendment rights,” Fabrizio said. Committee Chairwoman Anitere Flores, R-Miami, said the bill also could help address problems with people shooting guns into the air during celebrations of events such as New Year’s Eve.

by The News Service of Florida

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have a lot of people been harmed as a result of these so called back yard ranges? Have a lot of people been harmed by New Year's Eve gun shots into the air? Have a lot of people been harmed by someone building a range in their yards out of pallets and dirt?

The answer is no. And if there isn't a problem occurring, then no law is needed to fix it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That would shut me and a lot of others in this area down from shooting on our property if a neighbor called. I have an actual range on 5 acres and all neighbors have 5+ acres, but it is still primarily residential.

If you or anyone you know is thinking of buying or selling Real Estate, please give me a call.
    Have a Great Day,

Sam Parker
    Florida Realtor
    Main Street Properties
    850-777-6314
    SamParkerProperties@gmail.com

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    They could get them on the noise alone actually. an acre or less home density as the bill states is very close and makes good common sense not to allow a shooting range in those small spaces that are residential.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hope it doesn't pass if it just says residential areas as that would stop me from shooting on my 5.76 acres even though I have planted fields on 3 sides as I am the last lot zoned residential. My place has an unconventional lay out in that it's L shaped while my road frontage is just under 100 yards the back property line is 250+ yards and when I trade in my tractor for a newer one I was going to make sure I bought one with a front bucket so I could build a berm tall enough for a rifle range backstop. I have a small berm for my pistol range but I want one at least 10 feet tall if not 14 feet for a rifle range.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The way I read it states areas residential in nature AND includes one or more residence per acre. I believe both those conditions have to be met. You guys with 5 acres should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have yet to hear a gun shot go on in someone back yard in a residential area and like JBryan said there is not a need to create this bill. It makes me wonder if Florida is going to head to a liberal state or not.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have yet to hear a gun shot go on in someone back yard in a residential area and like JBryan said there is not a need to create this bill. It makes me wonder if Florida is going to head to a liberal state or not.

Approx 800 people a day move to florida...many of them yankee transplants who bring liberal views.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, this law does nothing but muddy the water even more. The latest amendment to it still allows you to shoot if it is determined not to be a threat to life, property, or the rounds do not leave your property. So tell me what has changed other than lawmakers saying that they are doing something and doing nothing! Now it's going to be a judgement call on the LEO on the scene. Yeah, I see this going over well.

Read the bill people!!!!

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
    10 Section 1. Subsection (4) is added to section 790.15,
    11 Florida Statutes, to read:
    12 790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential
    13 property.—
    14 (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm
    15 outdoors, including for target shooting or celebratory shooting,
    16 in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is
    17 primarily residential in nature and that has a residential
    18 density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a
    19 misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s.
    20 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    21 (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or
    22 performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    23 or
    24 (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not
    25 pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property.

26 Section 2. 

All this bill will do is clog up the court system even further with junk!!!!! We had one yahoo in south FL that built a range on his little house plot that he never even used and now all of a sudden we need a law written for something that was not a problem in the first place. Media took this and the people let the hook set in far with this one!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. We don't need any more laws restricting law abiding gun owners

If you or anyone you know is thinking of buying or selling Real Estate, please give me a call.
    Have a Great Day,

Sam Parker
    Florida Realtor
    Main Street Properties
    850-777-6314

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen how close some homes are in town and I sure wouldn't want to have someone shooting toward my back yard. I saw on the news that backstop and it really didn't look to good to me. Let that 500 smith go off at a gun range or somewhere out in the country.

Then there is the bimbo wanting to shoot his 50 cal bmg round off. Most people on this forum know of some people that aren't exactly safe. Let them shoot across the back fence from you and your kids'but I sure don't want them scross from me.

And yes people do get killed every year from people shooting up in the air on New Years Eve. Check out what happens in New Orleans every year. One year when I lived close to there it was estamated that 80000 round were shot into the air. Guess what they came down somewhere.

There has been some talk on this forum more than one time about the unsafe thing that go on even on gun ranges and there are SO there. I cant emagine what some of the things that could go on with a few beers and a gun range in the back yard.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I built a berm with a dozer on 5 acres, but the land is still primarily residential. They will force us to go to ranges or out in the woods just to target shoot. I just think more laws isn't the answer

Have a Great Day,

Sam Parker
    Florida Realtor
    Main Street Properties
    850-777-6314

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately, this is another example of a few idiots ruining things for the normal, responsible citizen. I rented a house some years ago next to a vacant lot. People who claimed to own the empty lot would occasionally show up, often with a few other pick up trucks full of friends, for target practice. They would toss their beer bottles onto the lot and blaze away with various kinds of hand guns; no back stop at all. I'll have to say they didn't actually aim at my house, but I must confess this kind of behavior didn't really please me. These events usually lasted only a few minutes, but they were unnerving.

Top Bottom