• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a remington 870 tactical with I believe a 18.5" barrel. I have thought about the barrel threaded to take remington chokes. That way I can fine tune the pattern or install a breachers tip. Does anybody in or close to pensacola offer this service. And is this even a good idea? Thanks in advance

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Threading a shotgun bbl to accept different chokes is quite different than threading a rifle for a muzzle device. First .... it is an inside thread ... second ... it takes perfect alignment and a skilled machinist/gunsmith to accomplish a good job ... third ... he must have some good quality and proper tools ... forth ... you must know what thread pattern and length the chokes are that you wish to use with the gun ... fifth ... the bbl must have enough "meat" left AFTER threading. (I suspect that the 870 bbl WILL.)

Most gun shops are not set up to thread shotguns. Off hand I do not know of a shop that does this work. However a good place to start would be Pensacola Lock and Gun on Garden St. in downtown P'cola. Ask for Rick Rankin. If he can't do the work,he will most likely know of someone that will/can do it. If you have it done for Rem Chokes,make sure that they offer a extra full to cylinder bore and everything in between.

In the worse case you might have to send off the bbl to get the work done. CAUTION: Even if done locally,it wont be cheap. Check with the Carlton Choke Tube people. If they do thread,it will most likely be for their tubes ONLY ..... which is fine .... they make a good quality tube. --- SAWMAN

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know about current production Remington non-threaded barrels but just be aware that on older non-threaded Rem. barrels the metal is not thick enough to be threaded for Remchokes. They have to be threaded for a different brand of choke tube. New production Remchoke barrels have a larger outside diameter than the older non-threaded barrels (and are heavier).

This is from Carlson's website.
    MINIMUM OUTSIDE BARREL DIAMETER MEASUREMENTS FOR CHOKE INSTALLATIONS:
    12 ga. lead shot and steel shot system - .825"
    12 ga. lead shot system only, no magnum loads or steel - .805"
    20 ga. lead and steel shot system - .700"
    10 ga. lead and steel shot choke system .825
    http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-installation.php

If the barrel wall is too thin after threading the entire end of the barrel can blow off and no respectable gunsmith will thread a thin barrel for standard choke tubes. Colonial and others do make thin-walled choke tubes that will work in most any barrel because the threads are not cut as deep in the barrel. Thin-wall tubes are proprietary so you have to use their brand of choke tubes rather then off he shelf tubes.

Last edited:

DWT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BRILEY in Houston does excellent work, but the prices are not cheap. It may exceed the cost of a new 870.

SBE-11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Remington 1100 bored and threaded at Colonial Firearms in Sp.fort very pleased with their work and quick turn around.

SBE-11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gotta give a thumbs up to Colonial Firearms they did a Rem 1100 for me did a good job and quick turnaround it was $85.00 to thread it then you buy the chokes you want.

Top Bottom