ATF: Proposed new rule for stabilizing braces-2 hours ago.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces”​

On June 7, 2021, the Attorney General signed ATF proposed rule 2021R-08, “Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached ‘Stabilizing Braces,’” amending ATF’s regulations to clarify when a rifle is “intended to be fired from the shoulder.”
    The proposed rule outlines the factors ATF would consider when evaluating firearms equipped with a purported “stabilizing brace” to determine whether these weapons would be considered a “rifle” or “short-barreled rifle” under the Gun Control Act of 1968, or a “rifle” or “firearm” subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It appears there was no study done to find out exactly what measurements, ratios, etc that a disabled person requires. They have no way of justifying what is on that balance sheet relative the disabilities act. If I have something that is 10 inches or more, the easy way will be to have a longer flash hider welded to the barrel to get 16 inches. It must weight at least 64 ounces and no more than 120 oz. Where the heck do they get that from except that they are trying to be as arbitrary as possible.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw something that said a rifle is defined as having a rifled barrel and then got in to a bunch of gobbledygook. Reminds me of 922r.

Gun registration for parts is going to be the goal.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I’ve watched a couple videos that went through the point system.

There is no way to comply. You will always be over four points and it’s subjective based on their opinion so even if you think you are compliant your not.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    What is the time frame to register or surrender? It will take the government years to process it all. No way to comply by their spread sheet or even legally if you wanted to with the paper trail......

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is the time frame to register or surrender? It will take the government years to process it all. No way to comply by their spread sheet or even legally if you wanted to with the paper trail......
    I believe in most cases you can remove the brace thingy and it becomes legal.

In order to comply with the provisions of the NFA, current unlicensed possessors of a firearm equipped with a “stabilizing brace” and a barrel length of less than 16 inches that would qualify as a “short-barreled rifle” as indicated on the ATF Worksheet 4999 contained in this proposed rule would need to take one of the following actions before the effective date of a final rule.
    1) Permanently remove or alter the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached, thus converting the firearm back to its original pistol configuration (as long as it was originally configured without a stock and as a pistol) and thereby removing it from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA. Exercising this option would mean the pistol would no longer be “equipped with” the stabilizing brace within the meaning of the proposed rule.
    2) Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.
    3) Destroy the firearm. ATF will publish information regarding proper destruction on its website, www.atf.gov.
    4) Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
    5) Complete and submit an Application to Make and Register a Firearm,

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Doubt you can remove the brace if it has a mil spec (adjustable) tube. Would be too easy to make SBR in their eyes, I would assume. Lot of info on your post but nothing I see answering my questions.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/atf-released-new-proposed-pistol-brace-rules/#ixzz6xAVz9a6l
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

document gives some alternatives. These alternatives include making the rules just guidance. That chance would mean that they would not have the force of law. Other alternatives include grandfathering all firearms with braces or forgiveness of the tax stamp fee.
    Proposed rule. Will be in the commenting stage. Maybe some of us will catch a break, but I can guarantee any new sales will be SBR, even if it meets their points system.

They also say there is no reason to have a red dot on a pistol. I guess that makes Glocks SBR now. They are in a huge grey area with all this so they can bust you for being legal. Imagine doing the speed limit, but getting ticketed for " driving too fast for conditions" I've had one......

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It appears there was no study done to find out exactly what measurements, ratios, etc that a disabled person requires. They have no way of justifying what is on that balance sheet relative the disabilities act. If I have something that is 10 inches or more, the easy way will be to have a longer flash hider welded to the barrel to get 16 inches. It must weight at least 64 ounces and no more than 120 oz. Where the heck do they get that from except that they are trying to be as arbitrary as possible.
    I see lawsuits in the near future along the lines of: "I'm disabled. I require something mounted to my electric mobility scooter with an SB brace and all manner of dots and lasers, so as to ensure I cant miss, or else my life is in danger. Argue otherwise, and I'll see you in court as you lose"

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doubt you can remove the brace if it has a mil spec (adjustable) tube. Would be too easy to make SBR in their eyes, I would assume. Lot of info on your post but nothing I see answering my questions.
    That is copied from the ATF rule proposal. Of course they can change their mind. But the AR pistol without the brace has been legal for years and also for AKs like the Draco as long a a shoulder stock was missing.
    The AR buffer tube is part of the action and by itself does not constitute a shoulder stock.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The worksheet would apparently pick up single shot pistols with rifle scopes used in IHMSA or NRA silhouette competitions fired from standing.

I did a word search on automatic and one on semi and did not get a hit in the search for the document. I guess someone will have to carefully read it to see if it is specific for AR15s, but I think you are right.
    But for it to apply, the gun must be deem intended to be fired from the shoulder. But then again, it means a disabled veteran could not put a brace on such weapons.
    Edit:
    It would also apply to single shots with bipods and especially with scopes.
    1623158216129.png

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    .... Of course they can change their mind. ....

^------ That is the exact problem. The BATFE is under the misunderstanding that it can interpret and reinterpret LAW on the whim of the non-elected two-legged chair-warmer-in-charge.

Everything else about "logic" and "reality" is secondary to that fundamental flaw.

Top Bottom