• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some .308 brass that has been fired 4 times, so what do I look for to make sure the brass is still good? How many times on average can .308 brass be fired before it's time to discard it?

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Neck splits or loose primer pockets are the two main failure points. Depending on how heavy you load them and whether you only neck size of full length size will determine how long they can last.

I full length size. Which makes it last longer neck or full length sizing?

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Full length size new brass then neck size only after firing in your rifle. Makes them last a lot longer. Full length sizing is completely unnecessary after the first firing if you use the same brass in the same rifle as the case expands to the chamber size ("fire-forming"). Only the neck needs to be resized in order to return enough tension to retain the new bullet. This goes for all bottleneck cartridges, not just .308.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was under the impression that any ammo to be fired in a semi auto should be full length sized also, is this incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am about to start loading Barnes TTSX 130 gr. in my .308 and I am wondering if I need to try a different powder for lighter bullets. I currently have IMR 4064, but I have been looking at buying Reloader 15, IMR 4895, H4895, or Varget. Should I try to load it with 4064 first or spring for a different powder?

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was under the impression that any ammo to be fired in a semi auto should be full length sized also, is this incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In bottleneck rifle, all I have are single shot so I cannot comment from personal experience. From reading various opinions, full length is preferred for semi-autos.

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a load from the Barnes manual. 48gr IMR 4064 maximum (compressed in a Lake City case), standard primer. Barnes says 3100 fps. That's about as good as it gets. The primers show some flattening. Remember that Barnes also recommends a mild crimp with the 130s due to the bullet's short shank.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a load from the Barnes manual. 48gr IMR 4064 maximum (compressed in a Lake City case), standard primer. Barnes says 3100 fps. That's about as good as it gets. The primers show some flattening. Remember that Barnes also recommends a mild crimp with the 130s due to the bullet's short shank.

I don't think I have a crimp die.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crimping keeps bullet from being pressed farther into case (which can result is dangerous pressure increases and rifles going KABOOM!) when used in magazine fed rifles. Additionally, crimp will provide for more complete ignition prior to the bullet entering the bore resulting in less/no unburned powder in the bore.

Top Bottom