• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The brass was made at the Lake City Arsenal in 1999. It is NATO brass.
    I buy my brass from a guy that processes it from LC brass also. I believe that I still have 300pcs unfired as a 300BLK.
    I find about 5 per hundred that I have to throw away. 99% of the time it is due to loose primer pockets.
    Using a 21.0gr+ load of H110 will sometimes loosen a primer pocket also. Got so many,I just toss 'em.
    My guns are not AR's so my brass ejections are "controlled" and brass is recovered. --- SAWMAN

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New question. I'm a noob at this, so I'll start with what maybe a dumb question. Can I use the 150 or 170 grain .308, round nose cannelure bullets I use for 30-30 reloading for reloading .308/30-06/300 Savage? I realize there are accuracy/ballistics draw backs, but what are the pros/cons, and more important, safety issues?
    https://www.hornady.com/modified-cases#!/ most likely but this would take the guess work out of the overall length question. It’s a way to measure overall length to the lands. A must for the reloader

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok, another question - I stored some 300 blackout cases in a tea tin... now it has this random splotching - Any idea on what it could be?
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 2.27.13 PM.png

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, another question - I stored some 300 blackout cases in a tea tin... now it has this random splotching - Any idea on what it could be?
    View attachment 172622
    Verdigris. Run them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a cap full of One Shot case cleaner and distilled water for about 8-10 min, then proceed with regular method afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If that doesn't work send them to me and I will run them through SS pins for you.

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A question for the masses. What is the shelf life for CCI pistol primers? I have CCI 300 and CCI 500. Thanks for all the answers in advance.

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A question for the masses. What is the shelf life for CCI pistol primers? I have CCI 300 and CCI 500. Thanks for all the answers in advance.
    Depending on how they've been stored. I heard both sides of the coin. Some say they expire in a year. Others have said 25 years, still work like a charm.

I'd try one or two. Just load it in an empty case and see if they fire. More than likely you're gtg unless they've been stored in the humidity.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Depending on how they've been stored. I heard both sides of the coin. Some say they expire in a year. Others have said 25 years, still work like a charm.

I'd try one or two. Just load it in an empty case and see if they fire. More than likely you're gtg unless they've been stored in the humidity.

I like your answer...try and see.

FWIW, Winchester stopped packing primers in wooden trays by Feb 3, 1966, making any such primers AT LEAST 56 years old. I'm using Winchester small pistol primers packed in wooden trays with no failures to fire so far. I think I have around 1,800 left to use up. Admittedly I'm using them in plinking ammo.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have some 210s I know are more than 10 years old and primarily load hunting ammo with them...every one has gone BANG. I may have some WInchesters that are older than that and wouldn't hesitate to use them. They all have been kept in climate controlled areas.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Can magnum large rifle prints be used in 45-70? Having a very hard time finding regular large rifle primers.

What about 6.5 creedmoor

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Can magnum large rifle prints be used in 45-70? Having a very hard time finding regular large rifle primers.

What about 6.5 creedmoor
    Yes, magnum primers can be used in 45-70, but you must keep these in mind:

1) Simple...just work up your load using magnum primers. Note: With mild/moderate reloads using Unique and Swedish wooden blank powder in the 45-70, no difference in accuracy or impact point or velocity were seen with Winchester standard vs magnum primers with 350, 395, 410, 450, and 500gr lead bullets. You might be using different powders, bullets, or amounts of powder, so start low and work up until you get the results you want.

2) YOUR firearm might be unable to set the magnum primers off since the primer cup might be harder than that of a standard primer. A friend has a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. His will not reliably set off Winchester LR magnum primers (a 15-20% failure to fire). Standard Winchester LR primers fire 100%. His bolt action rifles set off the magnum primers 100%. Yes his breach block has been taken apart and the firing pin and firing pin channel cleaned, but it didn't help.

I have no experience in using magnum vs standard primers in the 6.5 CM...I have only used standard primers in that cartridge and easy to ignite stick powders.

Reactions: FLT

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Yes, magnum primers can be used in 45-70, but you must keep these in mind:

1) Simple...just work up your load using magnum primers. Note: With mild/moderate reloads using Unique and Swedish wooden blank powder in the 45-70, no difference in accuracy or impact point or velocity were seen with Winchester standard vs magnum primers with 350, 395, 410, 450, and 500gr lead bullets. You might be using different powders, bullets, or amounts of powder, so start low and work up until you get the results you want.

2) YOUR firearm might be unable to set the magnum primers off since the primer cup might be harder than that of a standard primer. A friend has a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. His will not reliably set off Winchester LR magnum primers (a 15-20% failure to fire). Standard Winchester LR primers fire 100%. His bolt action rifles set off the magnum primers 100%. Yes his breach block has been taken apart and the firing pin and firing pin channel cleaned, but it didn't help.

I have no experience in using magnum vs standard primers in the 6.5 CM...I have only used standard primers in that cartridge and easy to ignite stick powders.
    Thank you. Don't plan on anything stupid hot, will it make a difference in barrel life? Just curious. Don't think I'd ever shoot the barrel out, but..

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Robert,
    I think you would need a shoulder replacement before you would need a new Bbl. in the 45-70.
    As the the 6.5 CM they will work, one would probably see any differences as the distance increases past 100 yds. Just like the differences between SRP & SRMP, {CCI 400 vs 450} it would take a fixed weapon ie, a universal
    receiver or a BR "rail gun" to tell the differences.
    After an outing with my 22 BR and a SPP, I got rid of my SPP and started using SRP in everything including 9MM's for my pistols. MY testing showed there wasn't any accuracy differences between the two in MY loads and MY pistols.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Tried large pistol primers for low pressure 45-70? Like weak trapdoor loads?
    Read some places that people have done it, but I'm not sold yet.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Tried large pistol primers for low pressure 45-70? Like weak trapdoor loads?
    Read some places that people have done it, but I'm not sold yet.
    Interesting that you mentioned large pistol primers. The loads being used in his Shiloh are certainly "weak" (the same loads are used in my trapdoor) in the 1050-1100fps range. In trying to figure out why he was having failures to fire (he had plenty of magnum primers so we were trying to use them up), I loaded some mild loads for his testing using Federal large pistol primers and Winchester standard primers. No failures to fire, same accuracy as with large rifle magnum primers, and no signs of flattened primers. Our conclusion with these mild loads was the use of pistol primers was perfectly acceptable. Again, we are using mild loads of either 12gr Unique or 16gr Swedish Wooden Blank Powder (it's a little slower than Unique), so other powder loads could act differently and the distances were only out to 200yd.

Reactions: FLT

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Interesting that you mentioned large pistol primers. The loads being used in his Shiloh are certainly "weak" (the same loads are used in my trapdoor) in the 1050-1100fps range. In trying to figure out why he was having failures to fire (he had plenty of magnum primers so we were trying to use them up), I loaded some mild loads for his testing using Federal large pistol primers and Winchester standard primers. No failures to fire, same accuracy as with large rifle magnum primers, and no signs of flattened primers. Our conclusion with these mild loads was the use of pistol primers was perfectly acceptable. Again, we are using mild loads of either 12gr Unique or 16gr Swedish Wooden Blank Powder (it's a little slower than Unique), so other powder loads could act differently and the distances were only out to 200yd.
    Cool. Thank you. They're too cheap, and easier to find. Planned on only real light loads for fun

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Thank you. Don't plan on anything stupid hot, will it make a difference in barrel life? Just curious. Don't think I'd ever shoot the barrel out, but..
    It's not made a difference my my mild to moderate (1500-1700fps) cast bullet rifle shooting. As some of you know, I monitor some of my bbls for wear using various throat erosion gauges and keep track of the readings. Since I've had on hand more CCI 34's and 250's than 200's, after I work up my cast bullet loads with 200's, I try 34's and 250's with no shooting differences seen at the distances I shoot at. Also, no more throat wear vs 200's per my measurements. When/if the primer situation gets back to normal, I'd prefer to use standard primers, but for now I'll continue to use up the 34's and 250's (only have a few hundred of the 250's left by now anyway and not having any magnum high capacity cartridges, I have no other use for them).

Note: I don't have any 6.5mm or 7mm gauges, so those bores are not measured, only .223, 308, and 303 bbls. Also, my regimen is shoot 5 shots or less and cool bbl back to ambient temperature so I'm not hard on the non full auto bbls.

Top Bottom