• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Saw signs of digging in my yard and under fence. Neighbor described a similar situation. I placed a trail cam and recorded an armadillo digging under my fence around 5:30 this AM. Any ideas on how to get rid of it/them? I live in a subdivision, so shooting is not a good option (I have no suppressors). I've read they don't really go for poison. It's a fairly wide open area, and it came from both directions, so it seems like trapping would be hit or miss...but might be the best way. Does anyone here have trap(s) I could rent or borrow? If I caught one what do I do with it? Just kill it in the trap & dispose? I really don't want to fool with relocating it/them. Any ideas? There are wildlife control companies in the area, but I thought I'd ask here first. TIA

edited to add...not that it matters much, but I was wrong on the time (read time from wrong video), He dug under my front gate and left at 12:56AM and returned at 1:50AM. Seems he might be nesting somewhere on my property.

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    They move around and don’t really stick in one place long.

they ate my in-laws home garden. I caught them and ran them off, they have yet to come back a year later.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They can be directed into a steel trap (Tractor Supply). Find an area that they are passing through and create a funnel with 2”x6” boards. I would use the area near your fence, take 4-2x6x10’s. 2 on each side, starting about 8’ apart at the fence. Set trap and bring the boards to the outside edge of the trap. Make sure they can’t get around the boards and the trap. They usually don’t turn around and back up. Here is a better description of what I have seen that works without any bait at all https://www.wikihow.com/Trap-an-Arm..."corridor" leading to the opening in the trap.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I got the cheapest pepper or pepper powder and sprinkle it where they are coming in the yard along with wire under the fence or landscape timbers along the fence. I f trapped I release them in the easiest area close to me

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    They dig for insects and worms. Mole Crickets are a delicacy for them.

I'm not a big fan of blanket spraying insecticide, but there is one made to eradicate Mole Crickets (They destroy grass by eating the roots). Take away the food (Armadillos can smell them) and that may do it. Just keep in mind that Armadillos can carry Leprosy.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Long CB caps are as quiet as a air rifle , close to a suppressed 22. Unless someone is watching you they will never know you shot a dillo. Although they won’t cycle the action long cb caps will usually feed through a magazine if cycle by hand. If you can figure out a way to get them I’ll give you box of cb caps.

Attachments

• B38A078B-38FF-4EF7-95E7-16846963C6AE.jpeg
      B38A078B-38FF-4EF7-95E7-16846963C6AE.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 70
    • E02EDD70-8F84-4E34-8466-1C158BAA277F.jpeg
      E02EDD70-8F84-4E34-8466-1C158BAA277F.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 70
    Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have some cci quiet .22 but have never fired any. I live where houses are very close together, and the area it dug under my gate is no more than 10' from another house, so am not sure if any 1AM shot is wise. I guess I'd have to video for a while to see if the time remains consistent or I'd never spot it.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Spray the yard with insecticides and water in. Kill the grubs, no food and they won't have around. If you kill the armadillos clean them and eat the backstraps. Kinda like a fine pork chop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'd euthanize them with my .22 if I saw one and thought I could get away with it, but that's not likely.
    22lr subsonics or a 22 caliber air rifle. Or even a 30 caliber air rifle. Oh, why not, get the 50 caliber air rifle

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I got the cheapest pepper or pepper powder and sprinkle it where they are coming in the yard along with wire under the fence or landscape timbers along the fence. I f trapped I release them in the easiest area close to me
    There was another thread here that said that pepper works for dogs digging on fences too. I can't imagine anything likes breathing pepper

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Get a garbage can full of mole crickets and build a ramp up to the top that it can't fall off of until it falls into the can

Last edited:
    Top Bottom