• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Frank, I do agree 100% that SBRs and Suppressors should be non-NFA items since they have nothing to do with the actual functioning of the weapon. Like many, I hope that one day this will happen. If they do not make them non-NFA items, then my idea is that once you are issued a tax stamp, it should be a blanket stamp, therefore not requiring any further stamps for additional NFA items. A one-time tax stamp, if you will.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Tackle, now I might be able to live w 1 stamp, but the rules are nutz, making them non NFA would be best. I would not even mind a suppressor treated like a firearm, serial #'d and transferred like that. A lot of States are allowing them to be hunted with and FL is behind the time on that!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To the OP. Seems that you are building a 5.56/223 pistol. Take a look at the ballistics for that particular chambering BEFORE you go shorter than 10.5 inches. TO me a 10.5 - 12.5 is ideal for a pistol,especially one chambered in 5.56/223.

For a pistol chambered in 6.8 or 7.62X39 the velocity drop off is not quite as severe. My "pistol" has a 10.5" bbl and is chambered in 6.8. It is strictly a hunter. Even if you simply want to punch paper,a bbl of the 8.5 to 7.5 inch length seems impractical unless as stated above .... you really just want a pistol ... pistol.

Also IMO,if a bbl under 10.5 inches is wanted,do not spend a ton of money on some "air gauged,hand lapped" thingy. This,in any chambering.

Good luck with the build and let us know how it's going. --- SAWMAN

EDIT TO ADD: None of that SBR crap for me either. Not when I can have a Sig Brace. Much easier,much "quieter",flying loooooow is good.

Attachments

• SANY0065.jpg
      SANY0065.jpg
      226.3 KB · Views: 91
    • SANY0064.jpg
      SANY0064.jpg
      240.8 KB · Views: 88

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My 7.5" AR pistol is fairly accurate at 100 yards. People seem to think that they are building a pistol, not a full-size carbine or rifle. If you are going to use the pistol for a range toy and want rifle accuracy, why even bother? I keep my pistol loaded and in a place where I can grab it, if needed.

As for the SBR issue, my ideology is that you either build a real SBR (tax stamp and all) or you build a real pistol (without a SIG Brace or anything that resembles and performs like a stock). In today's AR world, there is a lot of complacency when it comes to building SBRs. Since the introduction of the SIG Brace, more and more guys are building AR pistols with them and treating like a SBR instead of going the route of doing the paperwork, getting the fingerprints, the CLEO sign-off, writing the $200 check, mailing it off, and waiting for several months to get a tax stamp. Several people mention that it is difficult to take a SBR out of the state and this is true. My question is, why would you need to? Why do you need a SBR or an AR pistol to go hunting? AR pistols, like SBRs, are a close quarter weapon. I know that a couple of you here like to attach them to your ATVs when you go hog hunting, but why not use a 14.5" AR with a pinned muzzle device as opposed to an AR pistol or SBR? This is an age old subject and there are many different arguments for each side of the issue. I just wonder what many of you would do if the SIG Brace had not been approved by the ATF and never was made available for sale.

Well i personally wanted the shorter length so i can keep it in a pelican case in my car trunk. Dont have time to wait for my paperwork to be approved by the ATF, i want to be able to have a compact weapon system readily available to me that has more punch than my handgun.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks Doc, Sawman, and others for the feedback.. I did not realize that this would devolve into a "stamp or not to stamp" discussion.. I just wanted input on the quality of the uppers I posted if anyone had experience with them or an alternate suggestion in my price range. Dan that DD is nice , and if I had the extra funds for a BCG and handle for it I would probably jump on it. I want a 10.5 minimum because I've held one and a 7.5 and the feel and gains it offers is what I want. Same with the brace if I wanted to pay uncle sambo for the "privilege" to go full sbr I would, this is not the case.
    Thanks again

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sorry, to the OP then, Hardened should have a drop down menu for the BCG? For what you are building any of the 3 will be good to go. I did just buy a hardened upper off Gun Broker directly from them for 1/2 stated price on their website...they seem to be good quality, nice fit and finish.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a hardened upper as well, great quality for $275 I paid. I've heard good reviews for Karris Guns too on various websites. Check out mas defense and black rock tactical solutions too. That have great reviews for budget friendly sbr/pistol uppers.

Top Bottom