• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    With a melonite treated barrel (like ARP) there is really not an issue shooting steel ammo, just beware of the cheaper barrels, of course they can be replaced "cheaply". Instead of a x39 AK, you have the option of a x39 upper and get much better accuracy. There are new mags that work very well and better bolts now so you are good to go. Then again you will not be supporting a commie regime across the ocean, just a commie regime here...lol

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With a melonite treated barrel (like ARP) there is really not an issue shooting steel ammo, just beware of the cheaper barrels, of course they can be replaced "cheaply". Instead of a x39 AK, you have the option of a x39 upper and get much better accuracy. There are new mags that work very well and better bolts now so you are good to go. Then again you will not be supporting a commie regime across the ocean, just a commie regime here...lol

Good points Frank! ;)

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What can I say that hasn't been said......AR is the sexy girl everyone wants..AK is the average girl that's a sure thing...just my opinion but ssssoooooooo many more options to customize an AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Better buy quick, importation on the AK just banned, prices will be going up, then wait for it...Russian ammo next?

Just to clarify; the "ban" is only on financial transactions with Izhmash & Kalashnikoz concern. The weapons themselves aren't banned but any interaction with the company is. Clearly that will lead to lack of supply from Russia. There are lots of other AKs out there that aren't russian. Unless you're an AK snob and just want something to go shoot, there are still many viable options.

Break

If you want to go shoot steel case ammo because it's cheap. DO IT!! Just be aware of the trade off.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I did several slide fire mag dumps in my LMT build with Tulammo. Worked just fine.
    Barrels and bolts are cheap enough and easy to replace (one of the advantages). Just couldn't digest mag dumps with brass though. Lol.

I like my wife better than my car (or my AR) though.
    :)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I find myself 100%+ with Tackleberry in his above. PLUS --> IMO you do not really need to buy a AK with a milled receiver. A better model/maker of the stamped receivers will last just as long as you will ..... PLUS !

AND .... they were actually MADE for the steel cased,laquor coated ammo. Remembering that some of the hard laquor turns to slime when the 5.56 chamber/barrel heats up. Then ....... it re-hardens somewhere inside that AR action. If I were gonna buy a $700 AR to take to the dirt pit to shoot beer bottles at 25yds I just might use the steel cased stuff. BUT ---> I don't and I wont. ----- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive had an AR that would only shoot brass case, then I got another one that would only shoot steel case. Now I have an AR that will shoot both. There is nothing wrong with shooting steel case in an AR, if your gun doesn't shoot one or the other there is something wrong with it. I still cant find any real solid evidence that shows that steel case harms and AR-15. I do have evidence that brass case ammo causes tremendous damage to ones wallet.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And after shooting 1000 rounds of ammo the 150 bucks you saved shooting steel case will pay for a shiny new barrel.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So there you go! Get whatever you want and shoot whatever ammo you want. Kind of like asking what should I pick as my favorite color and why, lol.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There ain't nothing wrong with shooting beer bottles in the pit. If you're going to do that, it seems like a waste to use anything other than steel cased ammo.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Ive had an AR that would only shoot brass case, then I got another one that would only shoot steel case. Now I have an AR that will shoot both. There is nothing wrong with shooting steel case in an AR, if your gun doesn't shoot one or the other there is something wrong with it. I still cant find any real solid evidence that shows that steel case harms and AR-15. I do have evidence that brass case ammo causes tremendous damage to ones wallet.

Personally, I have never owned an AR ( I have owned over three dozen) that would not shoot brass-cased ammo (appropriate caliber). That includes over two dozen home builds. Of course, I have never had an AR that would shoot steel-cased ammo. That is, like I have said, because I refuse to shoot it in any of my ARs. So, in my book, if your AR will not shoot steel-cased ammo, there is nothing wrong with it. You are trying to feed it something it was not intended to shoot.

A few of you have talked about it being easier and cheaper to just replace extractors and barrels that wear out because of the steel-cased ammo. Personally, I would rather not have to replace something that would have lasted a lot longer if I had treated it better. Additionally, if you cannot afford to shoot the proper ammo in your ARs, I suggest selling them to someone who will. Weapons like the AR are precision tools. Would you mistreat a set of Starrett dial calipers or a nice micrometer? Probably not. I take care of everything I have. My father gave me some advice back when I was a kid. He said, "take care of what you have and make it last". That was over 40 years ago and I have followed his advice every since. That goes for my guns, my clothes, our cars, my tools, my friends, and most especially, my wife. It has been excellent advice and I sometimes share it with others.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Telling people they should sell their gun because you don't approve of the kind of ammo they use? HA! I don't think so bud.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Some people... an AR is a tool, use it and enjoy, your cheap barrels are cheap and you will not shoot them out typically, and bolts are a dime a dozen for the cheaper ones, can't afford to replace those don't shoot so much ammo. We are talking about saving hundreds if not a thousand $ here. make up your own mind. Look at the Military and MFG tests, easy peasey!

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you show me someone who "mistreated" an AR and actually had to replace anything specifically because they used steel case ammo? The AR was designed to fire cartridges that meet the specification of the chamber. Steel case ammo meets those specs so saying you are abusing an AR is false. The steel used in tula, wolf, ect, is a very mild type and wont hurt anything to shoot, will it wear things out faster than brass? I don't know show me some evidence. Is it abuse to fire 5.56 which is hotter than .223? People treat ARs like princesses and there is nothing wrong with that but they are made to go to war and see harsh use in all types of extreme environments. The AK will stand up to abuse better but the AR is a war horse too. Any AR that cant handle steel ammo is an ineffective weapon if steel case becomes the only ammo available.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Gentlemen, I have to say that I have asked the administrators to remove my profile from the GCGF. I can no longer accept, not deal with, the ignorance and idiocracy of some of its members. Thank you for the spirited conversations. Good luck.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Gentlemen, I have to say that I have asked the administrators to remove my profile from the GCGF. I can no longer accept, not deal with, the ignorance and idiocracy of some of its members. Thank you for the spirited conversations. Good luck.

None of us have to a agree with anything anyone else writes. It's just for conversation, not to get bent out of shape about.

That's a shame, I hope you reconsider. It was good to have you.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry you are taking things so personally and you don't have tolerance for varying opinions. Thanks for telling us about all of your cool stuff and sharing your insights.

Top Bottom