• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    OK guys everyone here has been so helpful in giving advice on items for my AR I am going to ask for more advice. I'm now looking to replace my front clam shell handguard with an extended free floating hand rail on my M&P 15. I want to remove the A2 front sight so keep that in mind I also know I'll have to get a new gas block. With all that being said what is a quality reasonable priced rail? There are so many companies out there with prices all over the place.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used ALG and UTG Pro. Both are 13in in length and both are good quality. I prefer the ALG because I like the barrel nut more but wouldn't hesitate to buy the UTG again.
    Both were in the $110-$130 range when I bought them for the 13in version.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you going to replace the front sight gas block with another one that has a rail? If you are not planning on putting a front sight on there at all you could just dremel the post off of it and use it that way. There are videos that show you what to do and one of the guys I used to work with did the same to his and has never had any problems. Might help you save a couple of bucks. That way you get a low profile look that won't interfere with your free float rail should it extend to or past the gas block. Just a thought.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I picked up a blem 12" rail from Mikes awhile back for $90. Not bad for the money.
    8dd3397b8de9d77a1dad000f46b39582.jpg

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Primary arms also had their own branded handguards on sale for a while. They are made by seekins

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I've seen YouTube videos on trimming the front site off the gas block and that's an option depending on the cost of a new one. I always forget about Mikes but i like that rail. Anyone had experience with rails from TGD?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    TGD carries fortis rails, can't remember the price. Depending on your budget online sales is probably your best bet. Look at primaryarms.com as well.
    New low profile gas blocks are $25-$30

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Take a look at the Midwest Industries series of handguards. They have one (G3 Series) now that the barrel nut does not have to be timed. Their handguards have their own proprietary barrel nuts.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=149

Recently, in the past couple of years, I have used the Midwest Industries SSM M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 15-inch Rifle (MI-SSM-15) and the Midwest Industries 12-inch Gen2 SS-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard (#MI-SS12G2) on a couple builds. I am also using the Midwest Industries 2 Piece Free Float Full Length Forearm (MCTAR-22) and the Midwest Industries T-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard (#MI-T12) on two of my builds.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I like the midwest industries and Troy Alpha rails for the price... I have had 2 Fortis rails, and for the money, you can't beat them. Now they are over $200, but they are also half the weight of most rails out there. If weight isn't a concern, buy what you can afford... I also had one of those 12" blems from Mike's, it's a nice rail for the money, but it's a boat anchor. Can't recall the manufacturer, PEC Armory SAMBAR rail I think it was...

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I just got my Charlie rail in the other day, great buy!

I also like the UTG Pro, and anything super slim that's not a quad rail.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn those prices are ridiculously low. I posted a barrel for $67 the other day.
    Between those 2 things I wonder how cheap you can get a full rfle built.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just landed a Daniel Defense V11 with their new slim-rail (keymod) It weighs nothing and runs all the way to the bird cage, I love it!
    They are probably not cheap though, DD stuff is overpriced IMO, though I got a killer deal on the one I have

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm a big fan of the seekin's style rails that spikes, radical firearms, and now aero precision sale. Never get a cheap rail because you'll end up replacing it eventually, do it right from the beginning, which is something I didn't learn until after a few AR rails. Never get one that the rail screws onto the barrel nut and use a capture nut, from my experience those never work out. But I like the seekin's style so much I have three of them. They are a little on the girthy side, yes I said girthy, but they feel good to me. And they will fit the ATI handguard endcap if you want to add that bit of stability/tacticool factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom