• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A Polish underfolder I recently picked up, I like it but wish I could figure out how to swap ut the folder for a standard fixed stock. Anyone ever do this?
    Absolutely, sell the under-folder and buy a fixed stock one. Even the best "conversions" turn into hideous hack jobs at best.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not try it, for the cost you would be better off selling what you have and getting something with a fixed stock. you will need another rear trunnion and figure out a way to fill the two holes on each side of the receiver left by the folder. Fear21 has it pegged.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would not try it, for the cost you would be better off selling what you have and getting something with a fixed stock. you will need another rear trunnion and figure out a way to fill the two holes on each side of the receiver left by the folder. Fear21 has it pegged.

Not only the pain in the ass to do it, but you'll put more into it than you would lose in a short sale and getting what you want without ruining a perfectly good rifle. JMO.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, I did not want to mess it up, was hoping to find one that would maybe bolt on and swap back to underfolder if possible, but it is not. I saw where the two holes were filled with a sling swivel. Way too much trouble and cost as said. I'll just leave it alone and buy another.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yea, I did not want to mess it up, was hoping to find one that would maybe bolt on and swap back to underfolder if possible, but it is not. I saw where the two holes were filled with a sling swivel. Way too much trouble and cost as said. I'll just leave it alone and buy another.

Good plan - as far as underfolders go, Polish rifles are some of the most highly sought after.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just looked at a CENTRY AUSA M74 5.45X39 , are these any good for around 500.00

Hearing pretty good things about them. Just an FYI - if you plan on shooting the corrosive 7n6 ammo, their barrels aren't chrome lined. It's not a huge issue but chrome lining makes it easier to clean up. Widener's has them for $469 right now, here. From what I've seen M74s usually come with some pretty dinky plastic furniture, so having wood already on there is nice. It's surplus wood so it might need refinishing, or leave it as is depending on your preference. Also, make sure you clean your threads / brake after shooting if you order one of these - shooting it a long time / multiple times without doing so can make it insanely difficult to get the brake off later on.

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I guess buying one used of gunbroker would be a gamble on how clean it is to stsrt with, but it is wood and comes with 5 mags, maybe I should stick to 7.6 cause I am not a fan of cleaning the weapon everytime I shoot it, and corrosive ammo makes that necessory.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well, I guess buying one used of gunbroker would be a gamble on how clean it is to stsrt with, but it is wood and comes with 5 mags, maybe I should stick to 7.6 cause I am not a fan of cleaning the weapon everytime I shoot it, and corrosive ammo makes that necessory.

Well you can get stuff like Wolf and Silver Bear that aren't corrosive, I was just saying if the Russian surplus is what you plan on shooting in it, be aware of the cleaning you'll have to do.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your best bet would be to just trade it for a fixed stock AK, its possible to do just not worth screwing up a perfectly good underfolder.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If century didn't have such a bad hit & miss rep, I would try one of their USA made milled rec, they are new for a tad over 700.00 on broker
    Century Centurion 39 AK-47 Milled 7.62x39 C39 AK47

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah that guy beat the hell outta it, I love how it quit working because the FCG was full of rocks.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And back to the pics. Century does have a few good rifles. Just have to know which ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20141116_200830_387.jpg
      IMG_20141116_200830_387.jpg
      411.5 KB · Views: 313
    Top Bottom