• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here's the feed ramps/barrel extension. I need to dremel them but were they meet is smooth so I'm sure this is the cause of the problem.
    20150418_142028_zpsltacdyev.jpg

thanks for the help everyone!

Return the upper reciever and let them know the issue....how that made it past QA/QC is beyond me......that's crazy

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't think of returning it because it's a Mega barrel and Aero upper so I have no idea if a Aero barrel extension matches it. I guess I can send them a pic and get their opinion.

thanks guys!

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks to me the problem lies in the barrel extension and not the upper. Looking at how the cuts in the upper line up equally with the pin block equally it appears to me that the barrel extension is rotated past center..... clockwise from our perspective. The locking lug on the right is considerably wider than the locking lug on the left of the feed ramps. Your barrel extension feed ramps are most definitely cut off center.

DEFINITELY DO NOT TAKE A DREMEL TO IT!

Does the problem happen when a round feeds from both sides of the magazine or does it only happen on one side?

Attachments

• 20150418_142028_zpsltacdyev.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 144
    Last edited:

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks to me the problem lies in the barrel extension and not the upper. Looking at how the cuts in the upper line up equally with the pin block equally it appears to me that the barrel extension is rotated past center..... clockwise from our perspective. The locking lug on the right is considerably wider than the locking lug on the left of the feed ramps. Your barrel extension feed ramps are most definitely cut off center.

DEFINITELY DO NOT TAKE A DREMEL TO IT!

Does the problem happen when a round feeds from both sides of the magazine or does it only happen on one side?

View attachment 31101

Yes I put 2 rounds in a mag and the same thing happened. I tested 2-rounds multiple times.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I sent a bunch of emails and pics to all parties involved. Hopefully I get some feedback tomorrow. This sucks!!!

thanks everyone for the help. I'll keep posting news as I get it. I'm in a holding pattern for now.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, I sent a bunch of emails and pics to all parties involved. Hopefully I get some feedback tomorrow. This sucks!!!

thanks everyone for the help. I'll keep posting news as I get it. I'm in a holding pattern for now.

Hope Mega makes good on a new barrel. Keep us posted....

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing I haven't done is test metal magazines. I ordered a few ASC mags so we'll see how they do. A guy from another forum swears the problem is mag related. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Either way, i think those ramps are not right. More to come.

thanks!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my .308! Notice the smooth alignment and transition in the feed ramps etc... Your's is way out of wack!

Attachments

• IMG_4882.JPG
      IMG_4882.JPG
      143.1 KB · Views: 114

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice looking feed ramps!

This thing eats just about anything. I've only had one or two russian MFS steel cased rounds hang up in this thing. Pmags, steel mags, doesn't matter.

Building a .308 is a whole different animal compared to slapping together a normal AR in 5.56 etc... In the .308 world things are proprietary and things don't always mix and match between makers etc... That's why I just decided to go with a complete rifle instead of a build.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Kinda why I just went with the same. I just ordered a complete upper from PSA along with their lower. I wish and hope one day that things are made interchangeable.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update! I got my backup bcg in the mail today and swapped it out and was able to chamber several rounds from each of my 4 magpul mags witihout any problems. When I compared the 2 bcg's i noticed the ejector on the failing bolt was out just a tad more than the new one. I removed the pin and spring and replaced them with new ones from my bolt spare parts kit. The only thing I noticed is the original retainer pin is very thin and slightly bent. I might have caused this when I checked headspace last week. Either way, now the original bcg cycles without any hangups after several rounds from each of the mags. Now I can move on to actual test firing and adjusting the gas block!

thanks everyone

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's good news but I would still get that barrel replaced before you start shooting. That barrel is not machined properly. Get it fixed now before it gives you a headache later.

Top Bottom