• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok guys I am a rookie when it comes to long guns and ammo, I have recently inherited a few guns and one was a H&K91 308, I would love to shoot it but I do not want to shoot ammo in it that I should not and screw it up. I have over the years read a horror story or two about bad ammo, corrosive etc. My question is with this gun what kind of ammo should i shoot and what kind of ammo should I stay away from. As I said I want to shoot it a little just do not want to cause damage to it now or down the road. I will keep the gun because of sentimental value but after I am gone you never no. I will just watch for replies. Thanks

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had several major problems with Georgia Arms .308. had to send 1200 rounds back last year from casings blowing out in my gun. they sent me back all new ammo but had same problem with thier "match" ammo. I am in the process right now of returning all the new ammo they sent me. I am gonna stick with Federal from now on.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    HOLY SHIT !! "Inherited" the gun ..... someone really loved you.

Anyway --> I have owned a HK91 for some 25 years now. I bought mine new for $450. The HK91 will absolutely eat any ammo ...308Win or 7.62X51 NATO. I have never fired any steel cased ammo thru mine and never will. Will it hurt it or not ?? I do not care. The gun is too valuable to needlessly and intentionally subject it to this shitty ammo.

The gun has a fluted chamber also so your brass will come out looking kinda "weird". That is IF you can find it. With the shot you hear a distinctive "PING" and the brass is just a blur heading out the port in the 3 o'clock position towards some unknown Lat. and Lon.

You have an absolutely great gun there. I value mine more that most any other gun I own. I would highly suggest that you shoot only factory ammo. You have plenty of choices in Fed,Win,Rem,and others. I have shot some US military current issue thru mine. It does shoot great. For the sake of the great gun that you have there,shoot the good stuff. --- SAWMAN

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think to avoid any problems at all, you should just sell it to me at a fair price. Take all your worries away.

goldigger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think to avoid any problems at all, you should just sell it to me at a fair price. Take all your worries away.
    ill pass that on to my son's. All kidding aside, I do know enough to ask you guys about this, as I said I am really limited on my knowledge of rifle's like this. In you guy's opinion would it be better off to not shoot it or just not shoot it a bunch, sorta fighting that battle, I really want to shoot it but do not want to harm the value of it. It came with a bipod on it , as I said it is not in the box but I had a gun shop look at it in town and they said they thought maybe 50 to 100 rounds threw it, no idea how they could tell. The gun is rather cool looking, I never seen anything like it, looks very functional, the more I find out the more I realize it is a pretty special piece. Thanks a lot for the info yall have a good week.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can tell you that any associated equipment for that weapon,if it is OEM H&K,is worth big bucks. I have most of the equipment for it and the extras are worth almost as much as the weapon.

If I were to sell my HK and all the equipment I would have to get about $4800.-$5200. for the package.

Anything NOT OEM for that gun is pretty much worthless. Especially mags.

Do not be afraid to shoot the gun ... just do not abuse it and it will not only retain it's value,it will increase. One thought,if your plan is to keep it,what difference does it make what the gun is worth ?? If you plan to pass it down to you heirs what difference does it make if it has some NORMAL wear ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom