• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I am thinking of starting my 1st build and I couldn't remember what people here thought about the 300 BLK..I know there are a lot of 6.8 fans here, but I was looking at probably starting off with AR pistol build and shouldn't need it for anything past 200 yards..and while I'm in the topic, what do people think of having 1 lower for multiple uppers??..just trying to save $$$ for future calipers.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is why Im starting with a 223, the ammo is cheaper and you can save the brass and resize for 300blk for later..

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would prolly invest in a few lowers while they are cheap,although the same lower will work for multipul uppers.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah..I can't really decide what to do cuz there are some really good deals right now...but the plan was to have a 5.56, 300BLK, and (dont laugh).50 Beowulf and just change out uppers when ready..Was at a LGS and the worker said same lower with different calibers tend to wear out quicker?? so that's why I asked..

Thanks for the info...got any pics of ur builds??

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Was at a LGS and the worker said same lower with different calibers tend to wear out quicker?? so that's why I asked..

I have 11,003 rounds through my Colt SBR lower with 5.56, 300 BLK, and 6.8 SPC uppers. It is not worn out yet and I see no evidence of same. I would tend not to believe the worker unless he can provide some documented proof.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On my wish list----> .458 SOCOM upper. Bad azz and it's compatible with 5.56. Probably very expensive ammo but you probably only need to hit something once with it, lol.

From Wiki

"the cartridge was designed to be 100% compatible with the M4 platform. This included the buffer, buffer spring, GI magazines, many aftermarket .223/5.56 magazines, and magazine well. In .223 caliber, cartridges stack in a staggered fashion. However, with the much larger .458 SOCOM, rounds "single stack" without any modification to the standard .223/5.56 magazine feed lips or follower, making it the most versatile and cost effective big bore offering in and AR-15 platform.

Last edited:

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I began my first build specifically because I wanted a 300blk. The round has drawbacks which have been covered, at length, on many forums. It is a niche round with the energy and trajectory of a 30-30 or 7.62x39(in super-sonic loads), and as such should be used in like manner. It shines for shooting suppressed and is roughly equivalent to a .45acp. I was lucky enough to pick up 500+ rounds from a forum member some months ago. Ammo is hard to find, pricey but becoming more available.
    Build your lower one time to your satisfaction and get a few uppers that play nice with each other. You might also mark dedicated 300blk mags so you don't jam some 5.56sdown your pipe or vice versa.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my 458 socom but I sold off my 300 Bo because it just didn't have the stopping power. Got rid of it and got a 338 spectre for my sub gun. Far more impressed with it

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you're starting with a lower for a pistol, build a pistol. Lower wont be much use for your other setups IMO

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I love my 458 socom but I sold off my 300 Bo because it just didn't have the stopping power. Got rid of it and got a 338 spectre for my sub gun. Far more impressed with it

Hadn't heard of the 338 before.

Doesn't look like there's much available right now as far as parts/ammo. Do you have any current sources for parts/ammo? What's the ammo from SBR run?

Thanks.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SBR is the only place I know for ammo. I reload all my own. As for barrels, paladin machine can do them. Bolt is just a 6.8 bolt

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They're reloads. That price is pretty good. My dealer cost for the cheap remington 115 is close to $.60 a round after I deal with shipping.

Freedom munitions has a no fuss MIL/LE discount as well. 5%. I just got some of this and it covered my shipping for the most part.

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

What were you trying to "stop" that didn't stop after being shot by the 300 BLK? To the OP, I really enjoy my 300 BLK AR. As a bonus, it's quite cheap to reload for using surplus .308 bullets. It has run 100% reliably and is very accurate.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    it took 6 shots on a 200 pound hog. first 2 were perfect shots in the neck and chest area. second 2 went through the side and 3rd 2 were at the head. it still ran off. it finally died 100 yards into the woods. 4 rounds were straight through and through, head shots basically bounced off and did nothing. that was the first run in with lack of stopping power. did the same thing on a 150 lb hog the next night. deer and small game, its a great gun. hogs, they always get up and run. i have never had to take a second shot with my 338. neck shot and they drop

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    it took 6 shots on a 200 pound hog. first 2 were perfect shots in the neck and chest area. second 2 went through the side and 3rd 2 were at the head. it still ran off. it finally died 100 yards into the woods. 4 rounds were straight through and through, head shots basically bounced off and did nothing. that was the first run in with lack of stopping power. did the same thing on a 150 lb hog the next night. deer and small game, its a great gun. hogs, they always get up and run. i have never had to take a second shot with my 338. neck shot and they drop
    Wow, those hogs are tough! I want to get into hog hunting, I'm just not sure where the best places are to do that around here. I would probably use my SCAR 17s for hogs, I figure a round or two of .308 should do the trick!

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Originally Posted by itsazonik

What loads are you taking afield for hogs? This will be my first season hunting mine.

Top Bottom