• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone. This is my first AR build and other than shooting the M-16 twice a year for weapons qual I don't have much experience with it. Never been deployed and unfortunately my unit doesn't do battle drills etc. Thats why I asked about the steel ammo. I appreciate all the input!

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone. This is my first AR build and other than shooting the M-16 twice a year for weapons qual I don't have much experience with it. Never been deployed and unfortunately my unit doesn't do battle drills etc. Thats why I asked about the steel ammo. I appreciate all the input!

Steel cases and the bi metal bullets will wear your barrel and chamber out quicker from most actual test around 5,000 rds, and for every 1,000-1,500 rounds you have saved enough to buy a new barrel. As far as extractors and springs go any AR has a service schedule just like a car, every so many rounds parts need servicing and using steel cased stuff you will need to replace them sooner.

Ammo is very expensive and for the price of a couple cases of quality brass you could pay for a new gun. If you want to practice and use the gun there is nothing wrong with steel but if you only use it to sight in and hunt with, shoot matches and never will shoot it enough stick with the brass.

Since you say you dont get much trigger time in I would say go with steel case and get more time behind the gun. You can always save up and keep an extra upper or another barrel that you can save and only use brass in.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Let me know what battle drills you would like to do and when you have free time. My buddy has some land we can shoot on.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom