• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    You FL boys need to be calling your state representatives and senators. If you don't speak now then keep quiet after the next hurricane.

What the heck is holding up this bill?

St. Petersburg Republican Sen. Jeff Brandes on Tuesday for the second time delayed a vote on his bill (296), now seemingly stalled in the Senate Military and Veterans Affairs, Space, and Domestic Security Committee.

“Clearly we’re going to continue to work with law enforcement and the agencies involved to come up with a better product,” Brandes said Tuesday after again postponing a vote on the measure.

The bill could still advance because the committee may hold up to two more meetings, Chairman Thad Altman, R-Melbourne said.

Scott and the National Guard this week came out in support of the plan after NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer took issue with objections to the bill expressed by the chief lawyer for the Florida Department of Military Affairs. The agency is overseen by Scott, who is seeking re-election this year.

Hammer said she questioned the governor’s aides about comments made by Capt. Terrence Gorman, general counsel for the military agency, at a March 19 meeting.

“I’m not interested in bringing law enforcement on board. This is about law-abiding people being able to protect themselves in a time of emergency,” Hammer told reporters after the vote was postponed on Tuesday. “It is not about the convenience of law enforcement.”

I tend to agree with Hammer on this one.

SB 296 (PDF) was written to prevent the gross abuse of basic human and constitutional rights Americans witnessed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina’s strike on New Orleans, where we saw law enforcement officers illegally—and at gunpoint—strip law-abiding citizens of their legally-owned firearms.

If you’ve forgotten the abuses heaped upon citizens by lawless police during this time, this video serves as a stark reminder.

SB 296 is a bill effectively written to protect the citizenry from rogue police officers and agencies during declared disasters, temporarily granting all citizens the same ability to carry concealed weapons. As Hammer notes, shouldn’t be designed to convenience the police, but to protect the citizenry.

In such extraordinary times, good citizens may need to be armed to protect those too weak to protect themselves.

Those blocking this common-sense law need to step out of the way.

http://bearingarms.com/katrina-law-stumbles-in-florida-senate/

Aaronious45

Master
    What good is that bill going to do when the cops didn't care about the law in the first place?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Doc, they will not let you keep them w you but I believe they will store in the armory for you...that Is federal law, not state. I would verify before hurricane season.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    They want to confiscate guns.. better go start in the hood first!!! But they wont cause they're a bunch of chicken shits!!! Bugs me to death watching that video hearing their stories. Hell the clip of police tackling an old lady...??? Really is that necessary?

Good lord I hope it never comes down to that!

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    It is easy to say "They won't take my guns!" without the muzzle of 4 weapons trained on you and 3 guys screaming, just waiting to squeeze. Trust me 95% of you will put your guns down, 4% will get shot, and maybe 1% will be prepared enough to shoot the 3-4 law officers , right or wrong, doing what they were paid to do.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    And as many people say there's gonna be an armed uprising. That won't happen until there is nothing left for the government to take from us as a people. As many times as it's been said, our forefathers are turning in their graves right now. This way we are treated now was NEVER how this country was intended to be run. The issues at hand these days have not been done by one administration but rather as a whole over the past 100 years or so. They take a little here and a little there and before you know it we are where we are today. Every time the government wants to take some more freedom from us they do so in the name of "national security" and for the majority we go along with it blindly. Like I said before. We won't see any change from the road we are going down until the majority feels there is nothing left to take from us. Until then "embrace the suck".

Staz

Master
    I agree to disagree people are more informed about their rights and what the law states. Travel with a group if shtf pack more firepower and wear better armor and it will make anyone think twice about making up laws.

Droshki

Master
    Doc, they will not let you keep them w you but I believe they will store in the armory for you...that Is federal law, not state. I would verify before hurricane season.

Yea, I thought Doc`s statement a bit strange. There's a big "no guns" sign out in front of the gate entrance.

rockb

Expert
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/0296/BillText/__/PDF

It looks to me like this legislation has nothing to do with confiscation it has to do with allowing EVERYONE to carry concealed under certain circumstances. The legislation will amend the 790 statute to allow an exemption for "A person who carries a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm on or about his or her person while complying with a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252".

Unless you are walking when your are evacuating this legislation is useless. We already have the right to carry in your private vehicle as long as the firearm is "securely encased". Who needs to be carrying concealed while sitting in their car. It is much more accessible if it is off your person. I guess it would allow you to carry concealed if you stop to get gas but at that point in time are you "actively engaged in the act of evacuating?" Seems like that would be the argument of the state or the lawyer of the person they shot.

All the legislation someone can dream up is useless once the police decide their going to do what they want, which is what happened in N.O. post Katrina.

Top Bottom