• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We always have 4-5 weeks of food on hand so I just went and got fresh gas for the generator and called it good. We live 40 miles north of the coast so the rivers flooding and tornadoes are our larger worry.
    Glad we just had a new roof put on two weeks ago. :boink:

yep, not too worried about food, I always buy extra, and have lots of dry beans, peas, pasta, rice, got too many animals to leave, will start filling the pool up tomorrow, to give it some weight, and as a spare water source.

more worried about the wind than the rain...and I am about 30-35 miles from the coast, but ivan tore our trees up good....

seriously, we should all be praying for it to miss florida totally

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oh yeah, lots of people were buying out the plastic storage boxes, I guess to fill with water? A young girl had her cart filled with gallons of Distilled water jugs. I guess she didn't want her pipes rusted? Should've got the plastic storage boxes, would've been cheaper, and if she didn't need the water, she could've stored stuff in them as intended.
    I have a in-ground well. So I'm good on water regardless. I have a 8750w generator that powers the whole house, a/c, 2-freezers, 2 refrigerators, hot water heater and lights. Yes, I need gas to run it, but I have plenty of 5 gallon jugs I will fill, "IF" it comes this way.

I'm not real concerned with this one, as I believe the cold front will push it east. But I am more concerned with the one running behind it. Depending on it's location and the cold front will dictate where it goes as well.
    g/l and stay safe.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a 400 gal hot tub that I would drain, clean and refill before a bad storm. It got old and the outside was deteriorating so when the pump failed (×3) I junked it.

Freeze bottled water now an use them to keep your fridge or cooler temps down if you don't have a generator. The fuller your fridge/freezer are, the more efficient they will be to maintain temp.

A thick bead of silicone caulk done outside door frames, then plastic sheet, then sandbags will help eliminate seepage.

If you don't have a dedicated truck gun package in addition to your carry gun, now is a good time to get it ready.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Set up a watch in your neighborhood. It worked great for Ivan. We now have three more people for a total of 5. We have two ways in/out. We have a total of 19 homes.
    Unless we know that you live here,or can give us a good reason for coming in here we will turn you around. Unless we know you,you will submit to a picture of your face and your license plate . . OR . . you will be denied access to our neighborhood.
    With no power,during the hours of darkness,we actually walk around and check on everyone. We have signals that we use to let everyone know that we are the "look out guys". We stay on public property unless we are directly invited on to someones property or we know the people are not home. We help with the pets if the people are gone. Unless one of us needs to stay home,this time,my wife will be with me.
    Immediately after Ivan we turned away about 20 shady looking characters. One older couple came back with a county sheriff. We explained ourselves. The deputy asked the older couple why they needed to come into our neighborhood. They could not come up with a good reason. The deputy told them . . "hey,it's their neighborhood. If they don't want you in there in times like these,it is their right to keep you out".
    Think about this gentlemen. Keep yourself,your family,and your neighbors safe. We quickly found that there were all kinds of shady looking characters roaming around after Ivan. Especially at night. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED - -> While off our property we will be wearing lime green nylon vests with the yellow golw tape.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The bulk of the guidance now calls for Irma to turn northward between 78W-80W, moving near or over the Florida east coast or the northwestern Bahamas. The official forecast has also been shifted eastward, but out of respect for the previous forecast and the possibility the guidance may shift back to the west, it lies to the left of the bulk of the guidance. The forecast now calls for landfall in south Florida between 96-120 h.

Users are reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track, especially at the longer ranges, since the average NHC track errors are about 175 and 225 statute miles at days 4 and 5, respectively.

Irma is likely to remain in a light shear, warm water, environment for the next 3 to 4 days. The intensity guidance continues to show slow weakening during this time, and this part of the intensity forecast is little changed from the previous advisory, with Irma remaining a strong hurricane during this time. The intensity forecast is lowered at 120 h due to the forecast landfall, and even if Irma stays over water it is likely to encounter some vertical shear at that time.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In wait and see status here, waiting to see if the NHC is right about the turn North before getting in the Gulf! Like Sawman I'm perplexed by all the stores running out of water, do people not know the water that comes out of there faucets is drinkable!?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Went to Wal Mart grocery on Pine Forrest and 9Mile Rd this AM at 0930. Lots of shoppers including a long line in the water isle. They must have got word some came in and was waiting for it to be put on the shelves. Wondering . . . why bother . . . just roll the pallets out into the main part of the store and let them fight over it.
    The ladies didn't even want to let me in there to get a couple 12 packs of Pepsi.
    I asked one lady about the, fill containers from you tap, thing. She just giggled and said . . . "I know,I know". --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Was just at the WalMart on Hwy29 . There were extremely long lines that stretched out into the parking lot.
    It was the people returning their bottled water. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It really looks like we got lucky !! I should stop watching the weather channel hyping every storm for ratings,,,I am Grateful.

I am NOT returning the Xtra BEER I bought!

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've called Fire Headquarters and Escambia Emergency management and asked if there is any place to fill sandbags.

Same answer both places go to hardware store and buy them.

Not being cheap but on limited budget and disabled so I guess we'll get by with the few I have.

I've tried filling garbage bags with water before but just didn't work to well.

I guess whenever the wife goes out to the beach from now on I'll have her fill a bucket and bring it home. SMH.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It really looks like we got lucky !! I should stop watching the weather channel hyping every storm for ratings,,,I am Grateful.

I am NOT returning the Xtra BEER I bought!

Too soon to say we got lucky, storm is still 4 days from South Florida and at 4 days the NHC says the margin of error is 175 miles. That means where the track center line hits South Florida it could be 175 miles left or right of that point, basically that is what the cone shows. Yes as it stands it looks like were pretty safe but the most recent models did come back West a bit so time will tell.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am extremely hopeful!

Just think.... Someone, somewhere in NW Florida is trying to figure out what to do with their purchase of 267 cans of Vienna sausages now that this storm isn't heading this way...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Viking, is the above about as positive as you can get ??
    NOW. . . . . . I feel bad again. I'm gonna go back and read some of jj's old posts.
    Or maybe just polish off 2 or 3 cans of all them Vienna Sausage that I bought.--- SAWMAN

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since the Price Gouging Hotline has been activated due to the governor declaring a state of emergency, maybe there'll actually be some fair deals at the gun show in Fort Walton Beach this weekend. Wink.gif

Attachments

• Wink.gif
      Wink.gif
      94 bytes · Views: 239
    Top Bottom