• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just ordered 3 AR build kits from Palmetto State Armory, to be completed by Christmas. My dad has given me a budget of $500 each for 3 AR's, one for each of his sons. AWESOME!!! I will be getting lowers this weekend from David at TGD. The Palmetto kits state they take 15 days to prepare for shipment and I assume another 5-7 days ground shipping, should put me mid-December at the earliest. The kits I ordered have a completed upper with a lower parts kit including buttstock assembly, complete for $429. Add a lower for $50 and I hopefully will have enough left to find rear back up sights to complete the rifles. I'm excited, but my brothers, who have never owned an AR, are ecstatic!!! This is going to be fun!

HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT?????

this is the kits I ordered
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Was looking at those earlier, that's an awesome Christmas gift! It's almost as fun building em as it is to shoot em.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    too cool! should only take you about 30 mins each to put 'em together! anything more than that, and you're wasting time!lol

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    really the only assembly will be the lowers. So youre probably right, about 30 minutes each. As long as the parts are all there and as long as they're all within tolerance, no problems.

As the saying goes, if something CAN go wrong, something WILL go wrong.

Very excited for my brothers!

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang it Kenny, now I have to find 2 lowers, and I better not get hooked on this building thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL >> I have always wanted to try a build, hope it's not too hard .

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang it Kenny, now I have to find 2 lowers, and I better not get hooked on this building thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL >> I have always wanted to try a build, hope it's not too hard .

Call me I can help

From the deep woods

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Builds are really easy. You just want to make sure you have everything planned out and try your best to have everything ready to assemble the lower assembly and/or the upper assembly. Have a space that is big enough and well lit. When building the lower, I like to have the different groups separated on a light colored towel. This way, I can see everything at a glance and can methodically assemble the lower. Only a few simple tools are needed. For assembling, it does help to have a vise and a receiver block set. It is not necessary, but it can make things easier. I really like building my own ARs. I have probably built close to three dozen over the past ten years.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prayer that all the springs and pins in the package! Have had a few kits missing pieces.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You don't need the pivot pin installation tool. What I do is drop the spring then detent and using a box cutter blade, I compress and hold it in place while I pop in the pin. Do this very carefully as it can launch the detent if you slip. And those suckers disappear into the Bermuda Triangle if ever launched.

Another thing is make sure you protect your lower with masking tape when installing the bolt catch assembly. Use pliers to squeeze the roll pin into the rear hump.

I can't think of any other tricks of the trade. You tube does have a bunch of videos. Take your time on the first one. Everything should go in with just light taps. No need for a big hammer.

Good luck!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dan,
    All you need is a set of brass punches, or some old drill bits if you don't have that, and a screw driver or hex tool for the grip screw. The two tricky parts are the bolt catch and the front detent. For the bolt catch, protect the receiver from marring, put a small punch in from the front to hold it in place, put the pin in from the other end pushing in just far enough so it'll stay, start it with one punch, then put another punch on top of that so you're not swinging the little hammer thing right next the the receiver and drive it home.
    For the front detent, slide a punch in from the left abs use a blade or card to push the spring and detent down under the punch, then push it out of the way with the actual pin, and done. It's helpful to drape a towel over a basket right in front of it in case you launch the pin. Oh, and use a pencil eraser for the mag catch. Also, pick up your two on Friday from TGD for $100 otd.
    If you're building carbines, you'll eventually need a castle nut wrench and to have it staked. Id recommend building rifles for the very reason, but it's all preference.
    Call me if you get stuck.

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan, I'm getting the lowers from TGD on Friday. If he's out or has limitations on qty, Aimsurpluss.com has the same lowers for $35 + shipping + transfer. Or I will search for Aero blemish or Surplusammo.com lowers or something of the like. These being budget builds, logos and manufacturers arent of the highest priority.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kenny, if you go with the TGD lowers, all the hassle/risk of the bolt catch are eliminated since they were kind enough to utilize a small Allen screw to replace the pin.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is a great deal, but I just can't get down there on friday. Wish I could.
    How many lowers does he have? maybe could sneak out in afternoon???

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Holy crap! Already have a tracking number

Palmetto sends out their tracking numbers early. It will still be at least three or four days before they ship.

Regarding building: I'd recommend putting the bolt catch pin in a vise and chamfering the leading edge before attempting insertion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom