Patriot Mobile

Connecticut Man Refuses to Show Gun Permit!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gandog56

Expert
    What an idiot is all I can think. He had it on him and just refused to show it. And he said he would do it again under the same circumstances? I WOULD pull his permit!

Viking1204

Master
    Glad to see I'm not in the minority on this. I just don't get what would make him decide he didn't need to show his permit. I mean you get the permit to prove you're legal to open carry as part of the work you do. I think he might be do for some remedial training if he wants to keep his permit and his job.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    He more than likely has the ass at the police for turning him down on a job app, or the cop was a real prick about the request.

Viking1204

Master
    Whether the cop was a prick about or not if you think about it the guy is in the wrong. It's against the law to open carry without a permit and if you refuse to show your permit then you are breaking the law because for all the cop knows is you don't have a permit. Sounds like he was just trying to make a scene, it's guys like this that are hurting our gun rights.

Welldoya

Master
    He's one of those "I know my rights" dudes. I woulda pulled his permit and he could've gone and gotten a job at Tom Thumb.
    Guys like that give the rest of us a bad name.
    The proper response should have been "Got it right here officer."

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Needing a permit to carry is beyond stupid, but that aside, the guy isn't helping himself or anyone else by being an ass.

FNHman

Marksman
    What if a once permitted law abiding person now has a felony conviction but still has his permit from last year? They still have to run your name and check to make sure you haven't been convicted since you got the permit right? So what good is a permit?

Maybe one of our local officers can elaborate on this. Have you ever been handed a permit, looked it over and gave it back without running a check?

Last edited:
    I'm unsure how I feel, I'd like more info. On one hand if Connecticut law states that you have to have a permit to open carry, does it say you have to present it upon request. I look at it like a drivers license, I need a drivers license to drive on the public street but a cop can't just stop me to see if I have a license simply because I'm driving, they can set up check points but not target just me.
    But personally I would have simply shown the officer my permit and went on my way, I'm like the previous poster, I'm proud of my permit and talked to others regularly about CCW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbulls

Marksman
    Does Conn. law require a permit holder to show an officer their permit when asked?

If not, then yall's anger is misplaced in the person carrying within the confines of the law instead of being directed at the officer and state that wasn't operating within the law.

So many people are so quick to voluntarily surrender their rights and call people that stand firm for their rights ass holes, idiots, etc... Personally, unless Conn. has a law that requires him to show the officer his permit, I commend him for standing firm.

Last edited:

Hammerlock1

Expert
    (FromCTCarry.com)

Demands to show permit when stopped

The mere fact that you are carrying a firearm unconcealed does not meet the Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (RAS) necessary to detain an individual. Therefore, there is no statutory requirement for a person to provide a pistol permit when they are not otherwise suspected of a crime. Citizens exercising this right should be aware that they are likely to face harrassment, threats and even unlawful arrest by police officers if they refuse to show their permit on demand by police officers. This has occurred previously, and it was ruled that the officer lacked RAS to stop the defendant.

HL1

dead-bird

Marksman
    I'm still looking for any requirements to produce the permit on demand.
    This talks about revocation...

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

The law does not provide an exhaustive list of permit revocation criteria. Rather, it allows revocation for cause. It requires revocation upon the permit holder's conviction for a felony or any of 11 specified misdemeanors. It also requires revocation upon any grounds on which a permit would have been denied. This includes a finding that the applicant (1) is not suitable (which the law does not define) to receive a permit or (2) does not want the handguns for lawful purposes. The law does not define suitability, and it does not provide standards for making the determination (see BACKGROUND).

The 11 misdemeanors for which a permit must be revoked are:

1. criminally negligent homicide (excluding deaths caused by motor vehicles) (CGS § 53a-58);

2. third-degree assault (CGS § 53a-61);

3. third-degree assault of a blind, elderly, pregnant, or mentally retarded person (CGS § 53a-61a);

4. second-degree threatening (CGS § 53a-62);

5. first-degree reckless endangerment (CGS § 53a-63);

6. second-degree unlawful restraint (CGS § 53a-96);

7. first-degree riot (CGS § 53a-175);

8. second-degree riot (CGS § 53a-176);

9. inciting to riot (CGS § 53a-178);

10. second-degree stalking (CGS § 53a-181d); and

11. first offense involving possession of (a) controlled or hallucinogenic substances (other than a narcotic substance or marijuana) or (b) less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance (CGS § 21a-279(c)).

The other grounds on which the permit issuing authority must deny and revoke a permit are that the person:

1. is an illegal alien;

2. is under age 21;

3. failed to successfully complete a firearm safety and use course approved by the commissioner;

4. was discharged from custody in the preceding 20 years after a finding of not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect;

5. was confined by the probate court to a mental hospital in the 12 months before applying for a permit or certificate;

6. was convicted of a serious juvenile offense;

7. is subject to a firearm seizure order issued after notice and a hearing;

8. is prohibited under federal law from possessing or shipping firearms because he or she was adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution (except in cases where the Treasury Department grants relief); and

9. is under a protective or restraining order for using or threatening to use force and in the case of possession, he or she knows about the order and if the order was issued in-state, he or she was notified and given a hearing opportunity (CGS §§ 29-28 and 29-32).

dead-bird

Marksman
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm

For some reason, it will not let me copy/paste the text.

Scroll down to: Sec. 29-28
    Then, scroll down to: Sec. 29-35 (b)

Basically it says you must carry the permit. Doesn't say anything about producing the permit...

Connecticut firearms law shure is a mess.

Top Bottom