• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I wouldn't want mullet out of Mobile Bay, too muddy. Where I've always netted them was in clear water from the state line and back East.

No Frank, not for shock value.. I truly think it's one of the better eating fish. And roe, yep that too. Even the fins, like good potato chips.

That's how it was for me too Saw. You couldn't get the net up with the full loads.

Next up: Sheephead. Love em too.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now Jeep I can possibly see that and there is a huge difference.

it honestly depends on how you clean, skin, filet, soak and perpare them.
    I lived on bon secour/mobile bay for over 30 years and the mullet, much less all the fish, shrimp and oysters were
    perfect....again it depends.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh good grief...you guys are funny. I do know old Fl crackers ate it as they were hungry but really the fascination today is just for shock value to the uninitiated.

I've been eating mullet my whole life, when I was a kid every time I went to my Grandparents house on Wolf Bay I had my cast net trying to get some mullet.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my wife had the restaurant she decided to serve mullet one night a week. That lasted one week. The locals wanted it available every night. So, no, it's not just a few people saying they eat it for shock value, it a local traditional meal.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can't trust none of you guys so I got a PM into Stanley to ask some of the guys with screen names beginning with Capt. over on the PFFFT forum. They know everything. --- SAWMAN

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can see where muddy water mullet could be made great with soaking, I just always cleaned and fried them straight out of the water.

always right out of the cooler, granite filet table, a flash of rinse spray, a roll in the secret prep batter....then 380 degree peanut oil for 4.5 minutes +/- equaling floating technique + 30sec
    also depends on quantity......we usually sunk 12-14 filets for that timing.

but also had it down to 35 filets according to equipment used, which temp and time varied.

we did this for many years on my weeks bay and bon secour bay place's and the folks never complained.

Last edited:

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I vote we have one where ever you guys say we should (Just where I wan't to go, not anything vanilla or any other place you guys pic). We need to be decisive in this (maybe), and just go someplace (McGuire's) and damn the consequences! (if our wives give us permission).

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We need to get a Pensacola meet up (at Chet's) and get TennJeep to fire up the GCGF short bus for the Baldwin County gang to ride along, but one requirement is for FrankT to show up. I'm in for that!

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is the Cubi Bar in the Pensacola Naval Air Museum? Someones home with a grill or pizza delivery would be better. byob

Last edited:
    Top Bottom