• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Will post pics when Sawman sends them in a few hours.

Wind was right, so Sawman and I went out tonight. I had a good feeling about tonight's hunt, so I contacted a family to see if they were ready for another hog...yes they were; if not, we already had another family ready. My family didn't need the hog, as we still have the one from last Thursday soaking in salted ice. To cover more area, I took the northern fields and Sawman took what we call the "south field". Got there about 8pm. Not too long after, I saw two hogs enter the NE field and head south. They were not running, but walking at a good clip. I knew I couldn't catch up to them, so I just watched via the thermal scope. When they got to the southern part of the NE field they stopped walking fast and started rooting, still moving, but at a slower pace and now heading west, so they weren't going away from me now. I decided to try and stalk. Bright moon was out, but that didn't seem to make a difference other than I could see somewhat to avoid walking on the taller dry weeds and making more noise. Every 10 or so yards I'd stop and look through the thermal to see where they were now and were they looking in my direction. When they'd be rooting, I'd move closer. I wanted to get close, so I set the thermal on 1x digital (2.25x optical), figuring when they looked big in the thermal, I would be close enough (I am not great at judging distance in the dark). At one point the larger hog did put his head up, but then went back to rooting. Close enough, I aimed for the shoulder of the larger hog, estimating it was 120 or so pounds (figured the smaller one was 50 or so pounds). At the hit it squealed and ran about 30yd, stumbling a couple of times and then flipped over and that was that. The smaller one ran north where it had come from, and I watched it leave through the thermal. Sawman, about 3/4 mile away, did not hear the shot, as I was shooting suppressed supersonic (generally the sonic crack ends when the hog is hit). Texted Sawman, and he met me in the field so we could load the hog into his pickup.

Bullet hit in the right shoulder, through the heart and exited about the left arm pit, missing the left shoulder. It weighed 167 pounds. Since we'd estimated 115-120 pounds, we took it off the scale, made sure the scale was zeroed and weighed him again...still 167 pounds. Since he was 167, I now estimate the smaller one was about 90 to 100 pounds. 6.8SPC 10.5" SBR with Barnes 95gr TTSX bullet reloads. The family that wanted it has already picked it up. He was a nice, solid, healthy looking boy; bit of a ridge of longer hair down the middle of his back. Sawman felt he was destined to be a big boy if I hadn't interfered.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    20150503_215458.jpg

In the 2nd pic you can see his darker, longer hair along the back. Neat. I'd like to get a spotted hog or one with a lighter band or stripe, but such things are hard to see with thermal, so I don't even know if they are out there.

Attachments

• 20150503_215458.jpg
      20150503_215458.jpg
      206.4 KB · Views: 164

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can see spots on a deer fawn,I can see bands,racing stripes,spots on a hog ........ I can tell how much corn is in my feeders from 120yds away ........... you need to get better thermal.

I can see hog blood as it spews forth,I can see my footsteps after I have passed thru a field some 2 hours later. I can look at my own piss and tell if I have a fever. Well ..... the first paragraph is true anyway.

I feel that we missed guessing the weight by so much because of the firmness of this hog. He was tight,he was muscular,he was in the prime of his life,feeding on peanuts every night,and extremely healthy. Will be interesting to get feedback as to how he eats. He was one of the best,if not THE best,hogs that I have ever seen. In a couple of years this boy would be "da man".

And ........ you had to go and kill him. I thought that Corpsmen took some kind of hippo-something oath. DAMN !! --- SAWMAN

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha ha Sawman! It seems like Bruce is in a rhythm and not putting a full magazine in the hogs now. 1 shot 1 kill!

I'm on my way back and ready to get in the action while it's good. See you soon

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Daezee i was just curious do you find the 6.8 cal superior to .308 on your Hog hunts ? And im not looking for a debate on the two caliburs just curious on your experience and all info will be appreciated.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 6.8 has about 65-70% of the "power" of a well loaded 308Win given equal bbl lengths. The different diameter(caliber)bullets give another slight edge to the 308Win. (.277" vs .308") Some say the 6.8SPCII is about half way between the 5.56X45 and the 308Win as far as power. Personally,I believe that it is a little closer to the 308Win.

We do not use 308Wins in our hog hunts. Actually,I believe that it is too much(un-needed)gun as far as power levels,which equates to recoil and slower times to get back on target or re-level your gun to see the hit or the hogs reaction to the shot(hit .. OR .. miss). The 308Win is also too much recoil(inertia)on the somewhat delicate internals of a thermal sight. Although our thermals are rated for the recoil of a 308Win,I do not feel that I want my unit subjected to this inertia over and over.

A 308Win can very easily be loaded down to the power levels of a 6.8SPCII if needed/wanted,using H4895 powder. Going the other way,I will be doing some experiments in the near future with hunting hogs with a 223Rem using the PROPER bullets driven at the PROPER speeds. I have killed quite a few hogs with my 223Rem and they do a great job if the guns bbl is kept to at least 16 inches and the proper bullets are used. It is a given that shot placement(as with the 6.8 or the 308)has to be correct. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00813.JPG
      DSC00813.JPG
      491 KB · Views: 153
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    By .308, do you mean the 300 Blackout? I've only taken hogs with the 6.8 and the 300 Blackout. 6 with the Blackout and Nosler 125gr Ballistic tips; 1 with the 6.8 and Hornady 120gr SST; 4 with 6.8 and Barnes 95gr TTSX. Overall, I find no difference except for 1 shot. On my 272 pounder, the Blackout (fired from an 8" bbl at about 100yd) went through the shield, through the backstrap and stopped when it hit the spine. The bullet was expanded, but did not penetrate the spine. As I cut the backstrap out, I found the bullet pressed against the spine, and it fell away. I feel the 6.8 with its higher velocity would have at least went into, if not through the spine. Since there are other large hogs in that area, I've not used the 8" bbl Blackout there since then, but use longer bbls for a bit more velocity. All of my Blackout kills have been with either 8" or 9.5" bbls. I will be trying my Ruger American 16" Blackout soon.

Generally speaking (more often than not), if the boar is over 100 pounds, its body stops both the Blackout and 6.8 bullets. Boar under 100 pounds or a sow, regardless of weight, the bullets go in one side and out the other (probably due to smaller shield thickness).

I was with Chaps when he killed a sow with his .223 and my 65gr Sierra Gameking reload. The bullet hit the shoulder of the 120 or so pound sow, expanded, went through both lungs and out the other side. She ran 20-25yd and stopped and couldn't get up. I had loaded that bullet for game hunting based upon availability and positive reviews. I was pleased with its performance. I've never gotten a shot at a hog with it, but did shoot a coyote at about 120yd...it couldn't die fast enough!...just like on TV shows.

I lost one hog with the Blackout. Shot for the shoulder, and it ran off. Found a few drops of blood on a road it crossed, but nothing else. Felt bad. Double checked to make sure scope was sighted in and found the bullet impact point was off. Based upon the amount off and where I aimed, I figure the bullet went in front of the shoulder in the lower part of the neck away from the spinal column. I'm hoping one of us gets a hog with evidence of an old minor wound in that area of the body.

Sawman was a professional hunting guide in another life. Pay attention to what he says on the subject. I have a thermal hog kill on video which also recorded Sawman saying "don't shoot, don't shoot" (again), as he knew I'd hit the hog good the first shot. It's hard not to toss another shot at a running hog, but I'm getting better at it.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Got a report from the family that got the hog which goes along with Sawman's assessment. I'll post exactly what they just sent. Note this big family eats mainly game meat taken during deer season, only buying store bought meat if they run out in the late summer. In other words, they have a lot of experience with game meat. Bonus: They say don't clean the hogs given to them...they'll do all that work and rather quickly too.

"He was a big one and the meat looked really good, as much as I could tell under a street light. His back quarters were big and muscular but didn't seem like they would be tough meat for eating. Sometimes older and bigger animals get pretty tough meat, but this one seemed fine. Will know more when I start cutting it up tomorrow and Wednesday nights. Looking forward to a nice ham roasted in the crock pot!"

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks alot Sawman you mentioned a few things i was totally unaware of one being the internals of the thermals being delicate that makes alot of sense. Thanks again for that write up and hopes to withdraw more info from you senior forum members seems to be quite a bit of experience on here.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nice write up

Thank you. Some folks like to see the pics and write up, so that's why we post them.

We are working on some more places to hunt hogs (and it is not easy getting into the good graces of strangers and gaining their trust such that they will allow you on their property and around their buildings, livestock, equipment, etc, especially in the dark of night) and hope to someday be able to take another person(s) with us on a night hunt if we can get permission for doing so. For example, one cattle ranch in Georgia finally gave the OK for hogs after 6 months of gentle talking/negotiations/and even inviting the owners to a bbq event; the owner gave us a tour of the ranch and lesson on how to open and close the cattle gates and then gave permission. Chaps has been in talks with a couple of places for a year now. Some places either have hogs and do not allow hunting or complain about the hog damages, but when you offer to go there they say no or come up with excuses...oh well, it's their property. Some places do not have hogs, but we have tentative permission if hogs ever show up. It is not as easy as TV shows would have you believe. I sometimes take a thermal unit with me when talking to folks so I can demonstrate what we use. Sometimes the spouses (if husband and wife) will want to talk with you about your hunting/shooting ethics...sorta interview you before you get their OK (nothing wrong with that; I've had that happen twice). My farmer neighbors have my business cards in case they run into other farmers with wild hogs. If cooked and on hand, I give samples of wild hog meat to people coming to my little farm (repair guys, mailman, neighbors, etc). My large animal veterinarian has my business cards. But after all that, when someone comes through with permission, it makes it all worthwhile. You can also meets the nicest people and help them by either killing hogs and/or providing them with some free meat (always cook to 165 degrees I emphasize).

Latest posts

Top Bottom