Target Sports

SOLD! WTS Listing Reduced, CMP Service Grade Remington Model of 1917 WW1 rifle in Pensacola

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Price: $850
    Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Price
    $850
    Item Location
    Pensacola
    SOLD! For sale in Pensacola: History in your hands! The most commonly used US service rifle in WW1 by far. Growing ever more scarce each year. This is a Remington made early M1917, 30-'06 caliber, low four digit serial number. The 105 year old action is still in remarkable condition. The walnut stock and handguard show the expected dings and dents (I consider minor and NOT sanded) but no cracks. This rifle was re-arsenaled after WW1 possibly at the San Antonio Arsenal and rebuilt in Ogden Utah (stock cartouche for Ogden inspector Ed Klouser and SAA on left side) and Parkerized at that time. Parts are a mix with some being Eddystone. Square bordered P stamp on the wrist. It was re-barreled for WW2 with a Johnson Automatics "JA" stamped barrel. The bore shows use but the barrel has plenty of life left in it. I have fired this rifle at ERGC and had no problem hitting steel plates at 140 yards. Comes with a reproduction 1907 leather sling. Price now $850. The CMP office in Anniston confirms this to be a CMP sale from 2006 as a Service Grade. Buyer must be legally able to purchase and complete a bill of sale. Please contact me through this forum. Thanks for looking!
    QZTZkRn.jpg

mT4HDR1.jpg

Zd9P0lo.jpg

HhrGUsh.jpg

qsPX33q.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_153140503_HDR B.jpg
      IMG_20220612_153140503_HDR B.jpg
      439.3 KB · Views: 108
    Last edited:

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I had a very nice message from a fellow forum member about safety concerns of Eddystone M1917s. This is a Remington. These issues are not the same as the heat treatment problems with early 1903 Springfields. As with any older military rifle, you should do your due diligence, read and study up on the history, and I would recommend that a competent gunsmith check it over if you want to count on it as a shooter. I have fired this rifle and felt comfortable for my safety.

Last edited:

snowbound612

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are few actions more robust. Many were upgraded to 375 H&H. A commercial vatiant was even produced in this caliber.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Although the 1903 Springfield is often falsely credited, I believe that it was actually the Remington 1917 that MOH winner Alvin York used in WW1.

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I received notice from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) today that they found the serial number and have provided a "Proof of Provenance" letter. It was sold by the CMP in 2006 as a Service Grade rifle. This document will accompany the M1917 rifle.

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Is it a Fin capture? I have a New England M91 from Finland. I do not have a Remington or Sestroryetsk. Send me receiver photo or two if you can by PM.

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Would also trade for a WW1 German GEW 98 Mauser with "rollercoaster" Lange Visier rear sight in comparable condition.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom