GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Price
    $350-$700
    Item Location
    Pensacola
    So, here's the spiel. I'm planning the lifetime trip of an Alaska Bear hunt with my Dad, which I've been wanting to for for about 20 years now.
    We both need all-weather rifles in either .30/06 or .300 Win Mag. and possibly 338 in left hand. Id like to get two in the same caliber for ammo interchangeability.
    One for Dad needs to be right handed, while I need a left handed.
    Preferably not precision rifles because of weight.
    Were looking to spend under $700 for the rifles, not including optics, but if it has optics we can go a little higher.
    Figured I'd ask you awesome guys if ya'll had any available before buying online or from a dealer.
    Thanks

EDIT: Only need lefties now.

Last edited:

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Most professional guides will refuse you to use such light calibers . Most insist on 375 H&H unless they personally know your capabilities . I'd also check the state rules .
    Were going with an AK resident and two friends who hunt the southeast border every year.

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you ever seen a big brownie up close ???????????? A mature boar makes a barn door look small . They can outrun a horse for a 100yds or so , pile driving strength , plus impressive teeth & claws . They been known to break a moose's neck with one swat ...............

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Have you ever seen a big brownie up close ???????????? A mature boar makes a barn door look small . They can outrun a horse for a 100yds or so , pile driving strength , plus impressive teeth & claws . They been known to break a moose's neck with one swat ...............
    Nope. Im considering a 338 also but theyre hard to find in left.

Last edited:

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As one "goofy footer" to another , I will say that with a little practice a follow shot from a RH bolt gun can be made by a LH shooter just as quick as with a LH rifle.
    As to dad and recoil, needless to say, add a threaded muzzle to your list.
    No sure , as several years ago an "Orthopod" that specializes in shoulders told me forget anything larger that a 308, and put brakes on everything , OR I'll be happy to do a total shoulder replacement. That's when I decided I didn't need a 338 LM just to punch paper & bang steel.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As one "goofy footer" to another , I will say that with a little practice a follow shot from a RH bolt gun can be made by a LH shooter just as quick as with a LH rifle.
    As to dad and recoil, needless to say, add a threaded muzzle to your list.
    No sure , as several years ago an "Orthopod" that specializes in shoulders told me forget anything larger that a 308, and put brakes on everything , OR I'll be happy to do a total shoulder replacement. That's when I decided I didn't need a 338 LM just to punch paper & bang steel.
    Yeah i have used a righty for awhile, i found i hit my left thumb when trying too fast, but if i go for say a pistol grip or Magpul hunter style, i think i can work the bolt without hitting my thumb.
    As for Dad, yeah I plan on braking whatever we get him whether its a 30/06 or a 338. Theres a brake im looking at that takes 338 win to 21ft lbs recoil, like a 30/06 so im looking into that one.
    I had a Weatherby Vanguard Lite 20" barrel in .270 once...he shot a 150gr out of it...never wanted to shoot it again...that gun weighed about 4lbs and kicked like a horse.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    375 H&H is a pussycat compared to the 338 IMHO . Both will do the job as will a 35 Whelen or 350 Rem Mag . Both the 338 & 375 have a better selection of bullets . How the rifle fits you is also a factor , muzzle brakes work ( guides hate them ) & a good recoil pad too .
    Apex predator on his ground .................... gonna be akin to taking a cape buffalo . Closer than you'd want , time for 2 shots at best , you'll never forget that big sob on his hind feet lookin' at you with them beady eyes & nashing his teeth . More than one's fouled himself or had to vomit afterwards..........like your first firefight

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ok, so to clarify, were going Black bear hunting on an island with supposedly no brownies/grizzles.
    Have Dad's rifle, now just need a Left Hand 308, 30/06, 270, or 300.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    There was a 308 straight pull bolt action listed here not that long ago. Was a Swiss rifle modified from the importer, not by a Bubba, and I think it was only like 400 something dollars

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Me personally I think I'd rather carry a pump action 870 3inch magnum 12 gauge slug gun than a 308, 3006 or 338
    I asked the guy acting as guide about that for this specific hunt and he said they mostly take shot past 150 yds...they spot from a boat, get out, stalk from the beach and then whammo. He said itd be hard to get close enough for a 12ga, unless i just wanted to bring that and be the SHFT guy and use someone else's rifle. Everyone carried 44 Mags, 45Colts, or 10mm sidearms and 300 win mags that went last trip.

I also thought about using this a a chance to get a 350 Legend, 458 SOCOM, or 450 Bushmaster upper for my AR and taking that, but those are also short range.

Top Bottom