• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blazein

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I started pressing a few 9mm out last night. I have some that appear to be unuseable. The finished product came out with 1-2 wrinkles on the casings. What is causing this and how can I stop it? Thanks ...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Champfer the case mouth really good. Hold the bullet somewhat square with the mouth when you raise it in to the press. If you are using a compressed powder charge also,this could cause the "ribs" in your case. Make sure that the seating die is not set to crimp when you raise it. Personally....I seat and crimp in two different steps. --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm thinking the case mouth might not be expanded enough for the bullet to seat easily.

Sent from my phone that thinks it is smarter than I am. Please ignore any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.

blazein

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lee challenger press with Lee dies The die does crimp at the end with a bit more pressure, I will try to defeat that. The wrinkles do run around the casings. I tried the pics but I think I am over thinking the new "smart phone". Thanks!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crimping too much was my first thought. If the bullets were shaving on the case it would be obvious and the case mouth would probably be damaged. Back off on the die enough that it does not crimp and seat 2 or 3. I'll bet the wrinkles go away. Usually a hard crimp is not wanted unless you are shooting a godzilla killer.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Case mouth does need to accommodate the bullet base but not too large to prevent overworking the brass.
    I agree that your crimp is adjusted wrong.
    a. Screw seating plug real low within die. Screw die down incrementally and slowly until you achieve correct seating depth. Screw seating plug all the way up.

b. Back off die. Raise casing, Screw down die until you feel contact with case. Lower case, screw die down 1/8 turn then raise case, lower and check crimp. repeat until desired crimp is achieved. Lock down die, Raise same case all the way up, Screw seater plug down until it contacts bullet tip: Lock plug down.

c. Insert new case with bullet above mouth: Raise full through. Inspect and measure cartridges overall length.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crimping too much was my first thought. If the bullets were shaving on the case it would be obvious and the case mouth would probably be damaged. Back off on the die enough that it does not crimp and seat 2 or 3. I'll bet the wrinkles go away. Usually a hard crimp is not wanted unless you are shooting a godzilla killer.
    Thats a typical problem when using a Seat/crimp die combination. usual cause is that the die is run in too far and partially crushing the case.

blazein

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man You guys rock Champfered the cases hard, lubed up a bit more doing crimp as a separate step. had a great time with the new G-22 -4 and the old P94 THANK YOU!

Top Bottom