Wouldn't a 357 lever subsonic have the same power as a 300 bk subsonic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master
    Subsonic .357 Magnum? Why?
    Or did you mean a .38Special out of a 357 lever gun?

I read the thread title and saw “300 BO lever subsonic”, and I remembered FightLite Herrings.

Whenever these are in-stock, imagine the possible calibers that can be in a lever-action pistol…

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Subsonic .357 Magnum? Why?
    Or did you mean a .38Special out of a 357 lever gun?

I read the thread title and saw “300 BO lever subsonic”, and I remembered FightLite Herrings.

Whenever these are in-stock, imagine the possible calibers that can be in a lever-action pistol…

For a can. Sorry, forgot that part. Those lowers would be fun.

jettjon

Expert
    This is the exact debate I went through when deciding to build a .300 BLK or a 9mm suppressed carbine. Energy is energy, and I found some 165g 9x19 rounds that will function in the carbine at around ~900 fps. The advantage of .300 BLK and similar "rifle" cartridges is the higher ballistic coefficient which means more accuracy at range. In the end, it wasn't worth it to me to go the 300 BLK route as the ammo is something like 3x as much as the 9mm. (30c from LAX/Freedom vs. 90c WWB .300 blk).

Little Jack

Master
    This is the exact debate I went through when deciding to build a .300 BLK or a 9mm suppressed carbine. Energy is energy, and I found some 165g 9x19 rounds that will function in the carbine at around ~900 fps. The advantage of .300 BLK and similar "rifle" cartridges is the higher ballistic coefficient which means more accuracy at range. In the end, it wasn't worth it to me to go the 300 BLK route as the ammo is something like 3x as much as the 9mm. (30c from LAX/Freedom vs. 90c WWB .300 blk).
    Absolutely a factor but the biggest benefit of the 300 is the ability to go from 220+ subs(more energy than the 9mm 165s) right to 110gr supers with way more energy (at the cost of the SS crack) with a mag change

jettjon

Expert
    Absolutely a factor but the biggest benefit of the 300 is the ability to go from 220+ subs(more energy than the 9mm 165s) right to 110gr supers with way more energy (at the cost of the SS crack) with a mag change
    Yes, absolutely. .300 BLK in something like 10.5" BBL is versatile as a middle-ground weapon between a SMG and a carbine. It would be neat to fill the niche between my existing 9mm carbine and AR15. But not neat enough for me to buy another caliber plus a much more expensive can. :)

Little Jack

Master
    Yes, absolutely. .300 BLK in something like 10.5" BBL is versatile as a middle-ground weapon between a SMG and a carbine. It would be neat to fill the niche between my existing 9mm carbine and AR15. But not neat enough for me to buy another caliber plus a much more expensive can. :)
    A "good" .358 can will take supers. If you don't need/ want the versatility, that's fine but the 300blk is a sweet spot without going into an AR10 platform or something else exotic.

The giggle factor of 220s is awesome but the practicality of lighter loads keeps me coming back.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Based on feet above seal level the general area along the cost is 1,100 fps or less. So say, 1,000 fps, at the local hight above seal level, average. So a 150 is a 150, at 1,000. but a 200 grain could be a bit different in a .358 VS a .308 especially if it is a Rem RN designed for expansion in the 35 Remington cartridge, which I do use.

The 300 Wisper or 300 BO is not a hunting cartridge design, it is designed for subsonic use with a can for taking out sentries or in CQB.

If you have a velocity cap such as the speed of sound, you may only increase energy by increasing weight. However diameter of the projectile can affect performance on thin skinned targets or penetration of protected targets. Let's say a 358 SWC 160 grain hard cast VS a 160 spire point jacketed obviously the spire point will penetrate furthur than a SWC, but the SWC will make a larger hole.

If you reload the 357 Mag can be loaded with 231, exactly like the 38 Spl and 231 know no difference in 1/4" case length.

In discussions with JD Jones of SSK by phone, he stated that he used reduced H-110 loads in developing the subs for the 300 Whisper at 900 fps with 220 and 230 projectiles. Which is and of itself interesting, because you are not supposed to be able to use reduced loads with H-110 or 296, which is also the very same powder.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Based on feet above seal level the general area along the cost is 1,100 fps or less. So say, 1,000 fps, at the local hight above seal level, average. So a 150 is a 150, at 1,000. but a 200 grain could be a bit different in a .358 VS a .308 especially if it is a Rem RN designed for expansion in the 35 Remington cartridge, which I do use.

The 300 Wisper or 300 BO is not a hunting cartridge design, it is designed for subsonic use with a can for taking out sentries or in CQB.

If you have a velocity cap such as the speed of sound, you may only increase energy by increasing weight. However diameter of the projectile can affect performance on thin skinned targets or penetration of protected targets. Let's say a 358 SWC 160 grain hard cast VS a 160 spire point jacketed obviously the spire point will penetrate furthur than a SWC, but the SWC will make a larger hole.

If you reload the 357 Mag can be loaded with 231, exactly like the 38 Spl and 231 know no difference in 1/4" case length.

In discussions with JD Jones of SSK by phone, he stated that he used reduced H-110 loads in developing the subs for the 300 Whisper at 900 fps with 220 and 230 projectiles. Which is and of itself interesting, because you are not supposed to be able to use reduced loads with H-110 or 296, which is also the very same powder.
    At sub sonic speeds will the bullets still break, mushoom? and dump energy? Don't want a shoot thru.

Top Bottom